two-V-two Ladder Revamp + Launch

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

'//3iRd(o)

Administrator
Sep 19, 2001
Dorset, UK
Due to the large interest over in this thread, we (brajan and myself) have been keeping our fingers busy, coding away on the re-vamped 2v2 ladder.

We firstly took at look at the old ladder page to see if it was easily adaptable to the suggestions that were made, however it was decided that it would be much easier to base the new ladder on the existing template we use within Standard/Insta/Pro ladders.

And thus; the two-V-two ladder was born!

Synopsis

The format of the ladder has changed somewhat from the old ladder; teams now sign up in the same way that clans do for the other ladders, and clans themselves can be represented in the two-V-two ladder if only a few of their members are interested.

Once a team/clan is signed up + joined to the ladder, they will be able to schedule matches in exactly the same way as the other ladders. For the first month open scheduling will be used whereby teams can challenge each other at will, up to the 4 required match slots.

Quite a large change to the 2v2 format is that teams are actually allowed to sign up to 3 members to their squad page; we envisioned that this major change would ensure lastability within the format of the game - the reliability is much less with 3 available players than it is with 2. Also, it is at the team's discretion if they wish to rotate players within a 2v2 match.

The server booking system has now been modified to incorporate usage of the two-V-two ladder, and will allow teams to book a server and change maps at any point up to 30 minutes prior to the time the server required (i.e. no 3 day rule!!). This allows a huge amount of flexibility in booking instant matches between teams who are online at the time (a-la PUG style).

The rest of the format mirrors the other ladders with result submission, point allocation, playoffs etc - a refresher read of the rules may help any who haven't been in a clan leader / squad leader role before.

Process

Signup

Existing clans who wish to field a team for two-V-two can sign up to the ladder via their Clan Control panel; this will automatically enter you into the holding zone.

New teams must use the 'Clan Signup' page here: http://www.utassault.net/clans/signup.php

Please enter all details where possible, bearing in mind that duplication is not permitted - i.e. you can't pick a tag of an existing clan within other ladders. *

Squad management

Squad management is handled exactly the same way as the other ladders; once your team has been entered to the holding zone for the two-V-two ladder, you will be able to enter your Clan Administration Control Panel by entering the admin password into the top of your team's page. Within the Control panel, you will have the option 'View/Modify members'; within here you can add your 2/3 members to the squad.

As with the other ladders, a confirmation email will be sent out to these players asking them to confirm the enrolment by clicking on a link. Hotmail users and anyone else using anti-spam provided by their IMP, be sure to add *@utassault.net to the white-list; or check your Junk Email regularly.

Once each player has confirmed their enrolment, they will need to wait the standard 48hrs before being able to play a match; this doesn't prohibit teams from scheduling matches for after this period however.

Scheduling

As discussed earlier, scheduling follows the format of the other ladders, and is described in full within the ladder rules.

A quick overview:- The ladder will follow the almighty Nonagon :bowdown: format, whereby any division higher than the lowest & holding zone will have pre-determined fixed challenges set within their individual schedules.

The lowest division & holding zone will be open free-challenge between these divisions.

Server Booking + match play

There are currently no limits within the booking system - all league servers are available for two-V-two ladder matches (this may change at the League Admin's discretion however).

Match length is defaulted to 1 hour; each team can pick 3 maps, both teams maps will be put together as in the other ladders to form the 'best of 6' maps; common maps will be played first most and twice within the rotation.

Anti hammer launch + ZeroPingPlus103 (optional) mutators will be in effect for each booking made, team friendly-fire is not enabled (0%).

Player limit is set to 4 (2 per team) and match length is set to 6 (3-3 to draw, 4-x to win).

Auth is enabled within each match, so ensure your forum account is linked to your player account (this should be OK for the most of you who play in other ladders or in PUG matches).

Other info...

The rest of the format follows the same principle as the other ladders, details of which can be found within the ladder rules page for two-v-two.

If you have any further questions; current league admins should be able to field them until the ladder-specific admins are recruited and trained.

Launch date

Of Course, this is quite an important point - currently all systems are active and ready to go; teams can sign up and begin scheduling, however we are currently treating this as a 'Public Beta' stage, and all points accrued will be reset when the ladder is officially launched, currently penciled down for the first week of October.

Feedback is most definitely welcome on any points during this stage.

Watch this space! :soon:

* To check if your clan is unique click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one guys, I look forward to playing in the league and I hope it is as successful as it should be :)

Nice one!

Do matches end once one team wins 4 maps or will last 2 maps still be played?

It works like all assault matches.

Best of 6 maps means that as soon as one team reaches 4 wins, the match will end; or if both teams hit 3 points, then it is declared a draw.

I'd like it if the 2v2 matches were with zp if one team wants it. Ping matters in 6v6 but in 2v2 its almost everything.
With zp we should get more even and fun matches and I'm guessing more players would join the 2v2 ladder too.
We've been playing 2v2's for a little while now on coh server and from my experience it's: Without zp -> Squirrel and I lose just about every match because of ping difference :yawn:. With zp -> we can give any team a good fight :cool:

edit: Why is it anti rocketlaunch btw?

Last edited:
hmm dunno...old rules been with rocketlaunch allowed but no double-hammering...hmz

Afaik (double)-hammering was allowed as long as it was possible to perform with the impact hl protection mutator running.
About disabling rocketlaunching; it could make the game more intresting/refreshing because people have been playing without that mut for years now, but it'll probably be disadvantageous for the lesser skilled (killing wise) teams.
Assault has always been a tactical game; when ur facing people who are (way) better than you at DM u could still defeat them by being using smart launching in combination with picking the right maps.
Ultimately, enabling that mut might cause people to lose intrest faster.

Congrats to Timo and Brajan :clap:

Thought the idea was forgotten but you 2 kept it going which is awesome.

@Mic, I am not sure ZP is any good for assault at all. I played ias zp last night on a bad server (yes most of the servers are absolutely shocking these days) and shots I made on there would be 100% shots on server 6. Lag affects the outcome of zp so much and Sq would be so hard to hit yet he wud have no problem hitting his opposition.

On the plus side it attracts more NA's and maybe increases the leagues potential.

gj there but 2v2 without launching is like footy without a ball ;( and as anni said, doublehammering was allowed as far as the hammerlaunchprotection allowed it (e.g. overlord)

The Anti-Rocketlaunch was just me making assumptions because no-one had or hadn't mentioned it before - also no-one had since picked up on them during the private testing, so this is all good reasons why we're running a public test first.

Nice job Weirdo/Brajan.
We would need RL launch indeed, otherwise it gets quite boring in a lot of maps, RL adds a lot more dynamics to the game strategy.
Torp, ZP makes 2v2 playable for people with ping > 60, otherwise, you may as well call it ping league, lowests ping wins. It is crucial on 2v2 since it's a lot more dm style, and no, it doesn't make me invisible or any other crap, that's just sore losers talking. You can always turn it off client side anyway if you don't like it, but it does make the game a lot more fair. (though still ping is a big disadvantage for non-zp weapons, weapon switch etc etc).

Yes it is crucial you are right and perhaps yes it will determine the winners if you have a low ping. However the advantage switches your way if its made ZP as you become less hittable but you can hit them.

Not really Torp since it still takes so much longer to switch weapons, dodging is harder, if you both fire at the same time lowpinger wins. rockets and still "delayed" and such

dont cry about zp here man, u can always agree for zp when u book a match, if u dont like it just disagree with it

Unfortunately Supermic, its never going to be proven.

It will always be based on opinion. Seeing as I play in CB and other leagues in the zp mod in insta and sniper I have ALWAYS found it more difficult to hit the high pingers. It is common knowledge in the leagues aswell.

Also uzi pointed something out yesterday during the ias match. Portugal always win the zp insta leagues. Mainly because they have 100+ ping on their poor connections.

I am not entirely against zp, but still think its not totally evening everything up.

@Mic, I am not sure ZP is any good for assault at all. I played ias zp last night on a bad server (yes most of the servers are absolutely shocking these days) and shots I made on there would be 100% shots on server 6. Lag affects the outcome of zp so much and Sq would be so hard to hit yet he wud have no problem hitting his opposition.

Did a DoG pee on your leg Torp M8y?? :P