XP Audio is distorted.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Thrasher (_!_)

=]????[=
Feb 21, 2002
Staffs,UK
Some one mentioned the other night that the audio in UT distorts under XP when you run UT for a 2nd or more time.

Here's the fix: (Compare to ur UnrealTournament.ini)
I can't remember which lines fix it ! :(

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=False
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=False
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=60 <==== This line ?
OutputRate=22050Hz
EffectsChannels=8 <==== & this line ?
DopplerSpeed=9000.000000
MusicVolume=0
SoundVolume=128
AmbientFactor=0.700000

I had this probably alittle before and i found a fix for it (that didnt make your UT sound laggy and crap :P )

Try messing with the 3Dhardware sound settings (EAX 1.0 card required)

Then all must be pointed towards DirectSound - some cards benifit from it, while others parp. :banghead:

Have you tried running RW thru DirectSound snuggs? or if it is, try running it directly thru the sound card.

Originally posted by Timo_Maas
Then all must be pointed towards DirectSound - some cards benifit from it, while others parp. :banghead:

Have you tried running RW thru DirectSound snuggs? or if it is, try running it directly thru the sound card.

hmmm.........i try it 2nite :D

Originally posted by Dr_Snuggles
when i first run UT, and then RW is everything ok

but when i run RW first and then UT is the sound really:crap:

:confused:

Yeh I have that 2 m8 , I work with Xp , And If I start up Teamspeak (a program such as RW) and then ut , my sound just goes numb , totally nothing anymore , If I start up ut first ,Alt-tab and then start TS , It works , really strange :confused:

Some one mentioned the other night that the audio in UT distorts under XP when you run UT for a 2nd or more time.
errr how u fire ur UT up for a 2nd time? :\ I use win2k and when i click link again it just goes to the active UT :S:S:S

and RW works fine here /w UT.... :) it runs when windows starts :D

ohw btw.. when u register RW what u get extra? cuz i got serial for it but nothing seems to be different :crap:

Yep that's right. Registration just gets rid of "annoyances".

BTW when snuggles said firing up UT for a 2nd time, he meant if he had to quit ut, and tried to start it up again. i.e. Many of us leave our puters on for days/weeks/months on end without restarts, so have to fire up ut many times.

Personally i rarely have problems with the UT,XP,RW combo; have however had the crap sound once or twice, but simply quitting and restarting ut a couple of times; or muting the sound card has fixed it. :coolfip:

Originally posted by pinhead

errr how u fire ur UT up for a 2nd time? :\ I use win2k and when i click link again it just goes to the active UT :S:S:S

You daft 'apeth ! If you start UT...quit it....then start it again the audio sounds like it is going through broken speakers. (very raspy).

you dont get the spam asking u 2 register
:D lucky me... someone interested in that serial#? icq me :nod:

You daft 'apeth ! If you start UT...quit it....then start it again the audio sounds like it is going through broken speakers. (very raspy).

ohw ahh!.. well when i use my 6 year old sound card (ESS ES1869 AudioDrive) i already got it when i start UT for first time :P, but with my SB128PCI i dont have any probs... works fine :D... and i think it has something to do /w dobblerspeed in the UT.ini... that's some sort of precache... the higher u put it the more it will cache so u dont get scrambled sound... also getting latest drivers normally shud do the trick :) or just get a new 'puter' :thumb:

Further research showed that Thrasher was infact right; it is nothing to do with the dopplerspeed, it is the latency and effects channels that affect the sound quality in xp:

The problem is caused by Windows XP's harddisk prefetching algorithm, loading Unreal modules faster than the sound subsystem can initialize properly – hence it only occurs when the engine loads from system cache - i.e. a second load.

I've tried different values for Latency and EffectsChannels, the lowest trouble free latency value is 46 and you can keep the effects number to 16.

Originally posted by pinhead

:D lucky me... someone interested in that serial#? icq me :nod:

ohw ahh!.. well when i use my 6 year old sound card (ESS ES1869 AudioDrive) i already got it when i start UT for first time :P, but with my SB128PCI i dont have any probs... works fine :D... and i think it has something to do /w dobblerspeed in the UT.ini... that's some sort of precache... the higher u put it the more it will cache so u dont get scrambled sound... also getting latest drivers normally shud do the trick :) or just get a new 'puter' :thumb:

having had the unfortunate experience of owning both of those cards at one time or another, I just want to say that they both SUCK .