Wireless Internet Mains Supply

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-Starlight-

Boom...
Sep 22, 2001
Brum.
Hi All,

Hopefully you guys can help me on this one.

I once saw a wireless internet adapter which connects to your PC, and then into your mains socket (power supply), and therefore pushes round the internet signals and then can be recieved through an upstairs plug with another adapter.

Ive tried looking around on google, ebay and amazon - but without a name i cant track it down - it did cost around £90.

Anyone know what this is called, or even if you use one and what you think of it

I'm using that in our house. Works flawlessly, just plug it in and you're go. Need it in a different room? Unplug, replug, it's that simple.
It's the Netgear WGXB102 kit.

This is still first generation pretty much so you net about 11mbit/s through the power lines here. Which is more than enough for my purposes.

Reactions: -Starlight-
Try doing a search for powerline, thats the generic name for that sort of technology. Theres only a few manufacturers making it for UK volatge but should be easy enough to find one.

Reactions: -Starlight-
Thanks for your help guys! :D

Yeh fin, 11 MBIT would be well enough as i only have a 4 MBIT connection anyway! Plug and play is what im after :D

Thanks again guys :)

Green rep for all!

Reactions: Cassius
Fin said:
I'm using that in our house. Works flawlessly, just plug it in and you're go. Need it in a different room? Unplug, replug, it's that simple.
It's the Netgear WGXB102 kit.

This is still first generation pretty much so you net about 11mbit/s through the power lines here. Which is more than enough for my purposes.

One last Q Fin - hows the ping on this? And also how does it connect? Via my Network card out? Or via my cable modem?

Im thinking of setting it up to my xbox upstairs :D

First of all, its not wireless.. since you obviously use the powerlines which are quite logically wires. :p:

And secondly, I work at an helpdesk of an isp and I've heard a thing or two about.
For example the loss of speed can be quite high.. up to 25% or so.
And if you plug it all in and it doesnt work you are screwed.. Because you cant like "back-track" the wires n such.

Since I'm just using it to connect a pc to the internet for surfing I'm not ping dependant on this, but the ping to my router is 1-2 ms higher than the ping of the directly connected pc. That is with a wireless powerline extender.

The way I connected it it:
Code:
---modem-----router---powerline--(wireless)---pc
                |
                |
                pc

think of it as a network cable, so you can connect it any way you like

---modem------powerline------pc / router

they are expensive in the UK cheaper to get a wireless router and some usb adaptors when i looked into it..

Any ideas on which ones are best rich... cost and quality wise?

Had a look around some high street shops today and the routers were pricey!

I want to hook up my xbox 360 - but im not willing to pay £65 for there 'official' wireless adapter - could i just fit a standard cheaper ethernet wireless adapter instead? (the connection is still an ethernet socket on the 360)

Thanks again :D