windows xp stops to load

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

nightwing`

? taguZ! ? Pato`
May 16, 2006
Portugal
Hi ppl,

I'm having a trouble on my laptop.
Everything starts without problems but it stops/does not continues loading (pic below) right before the Log in screen....
windows-is-starting-up.png

this happened after I installed AVG 9.0 and restarted the pc to finish the installation.

I've tried starting in safe mode but happens the same.

and seems that my windows XP cd is damaged because I tried to repair windows but it gived me an error... :\

well, I can format the hd or install other windows but I don't want to lose the files I have there :\

any soluctions? :)

is't a LG laptop, Centrino duo (1,66 GHz), 1 GB memory RAM, fujitsu hdd (100GB), etc...

thx in advance.

download Knoppix.

Burn it on CD, boot from CD and get the files from your hdd onto another one (external HDD maybe) then format disk and install windows again and put back the backup'd files.

How long have you waited while its on that screen? Possible a service associated with AVG isnt loading and needs to timeout before windows continues.

Tried safemode? (press F8 at the windows loading bar screen)

Find a copy of ERD commander, its a windowsPE disc with recovery mode built in, allows you to restore to an earlier save point (assuming you havent turned it off!)

yap, I already tried safemode and last working installation but does the same (I've tried all options there lol)
I've waited about 30 minutes.
I'll try to do what you suggested, I'll say something later.

thx for reply

You can try starting in 'Safe Mode with command prompt' and deleting the AVG folder using DOS commands. It's messy and you'll probably need to sort the registry out when you're done but a customer had your problem and didn't want to reload and it seemed to work OK.

I tried the ERD commander and got a problem, when comes the part to chose the OS (like in the pic) I just got the second option "none - do not attach to a windows installation"
locksmith0.png

I'm doing something wrong? :\

I will try that yako said, at least want to try to save some files before I do anything wrong

Most likely reason for that is the drivers for the IDE/SATA controller arent on that CD and so the HDD is not being recognised, there should be an option to press F6 and load additional drivers from a floppy much like a normal windows install

In addition to what CK suggested you can get command line AVG uninstallers, these are usually version specific but if you run it then itll remove the files and make the necessary registry changes. I've used one in the past on a bad install of AVG8 but was quite a while ago and I cant remember if its supplied by AVG or 3rd party.

Most likely reason for that is the drivers for the IDE/SATA controller arent on that CD and so the HDD is not being recognised, there should be an option to press F6 and load additional drivers from a floppy much like a normal windows install

I've done that but it says "setup was unable to load support for the mass storage device you specified."

About what CK said, I already tried to starting in 'Safe Mode with command prompt" but happens the same. :\

exactly the same happenend as i instaled AVG9 on my Vista SP2 machine. Sometimes it just took ages to load and often it didnt even boot at all.
I made an chkdsk and it seemed that AVG somehow fucked up some sectors. After chkdsk the system ran again. OFC i deinstalled AVG9 and now i am using my old AV again.

edit: suprsingly AVG9 runs quite nicely under my WinXP (SP3) system.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will stop the services starting, but you can try adding a new Win boot

Boot from CD
Press 'R' (Repair/Recovery can't remember what it says but it's definitely 'R')
Wait for the cmd prompt to load
Select your Windows boot (usually 1)
type in your Administrator password (or leave blank if there isn't one) press enter
type: bootcfg /rebuild
type: Y
when it asks to enter a load identifier you can call it 'Windows XP Repaired' or something
when it says 'OS load options' type: /fastdetect
and that should be it
type exit
take CD out
and select XP Repaired when the PC boots again and see if the PC starts

This is from memory so not sure if it's all correct. Google will help. Dunno if it'l fix that problem but it sometimes fixes a PC not starting properly and when you load from the new boot the drivers need reinstalling and the services were gone if memory serves correct

Last edited:
I assumed that because he said his XP CD was damaged he wouldnt be able to load anything from it however...

You can stop services from the same recovery console CK mentioned

Just type listsvc itll list all the installed services, make a note of the ones you want to disable

type disable servicename
this will disable the service

The possible resolution is that message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.