Why are screenshots always so dark?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Quasi^

Me.
Oct 26, 2002
Behind a crate
This may only apply to OpenGL - I dont remember if the same problem happens with D3D. But if your screenies are always darker than what you expect you can try this very simple fix.

The normal screenshot command is 'sshot' which is by default assigned to the F9 key. Part of this command sets the brightness to 1 and then executes another command 'shot' which actually does the screenie.

So by reassigning F9 to 'shot' it will take a screenie with whatever brightness you have now.

3 ways to do this:

1 Edit your F9= bit in user.ini, or
2 Type 'set input F9 shot' (no quotes) in the console, or
3 Type 'preferences' in the console and look through the key bindings section for F9

This may also help people that get some lag when taking screenies (since it doesn't flush the vid buffers)

hmm binding it to just "shot" defiantly takes a sshot but im not too sure if the brightness or speed of taking the shot has changed

it probably only shows any difference if you play with brightness up pretty high to start with btw and it may be that not everyone has this problem of dark screenies to start with?

sshot function:

Code:
exec function SShot()
{
	local float b;
	b = float(ConsoleCommand("get ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager Brightness"));
	ConsoleCommand("set ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager Brightness 1");
	ConsoleCommand("flush");
	ConsoleCommand("shot"); <<--------------------------------------------------------- the screenie command
	ConsoleCommand("set ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager Brightness "$string(B));
	ConsoleCommand("flush");
}

My brightness is at the default and I don't have any problems but maybe that's why I never have aproblem with viewing my screens but other people say they're too dark.

I use a small image program called Irfanview for everything - this thing can do anything to any image it's great. Search google for it it's dead easy to use and stuff.

I think putting up brightness in UT really ruins it for ambience and stuff :/