What will become of UTAssault.net

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Suicidal

Here to inspire...
Jun 25, 2001
Tower of Babel
I remember reaing a thread where Phear was asking for someone to take it over from him, so it lead me to think that what are the plans for this site when UT2003 is released.

An Assault site isn't going to be very relevant in UT2003, so are there any plans to have a site dedicated to the new game?

There seems to be a bit of a drive at the moment to get us helping out with the costs of the site, but if i am going to send some money, i don't really want to send it to a site that will be dead in a couple months, i would rather contribute to the new site.

Who knows what will happen to it. It wont become a UT2003 general site, there are plenty of those around already, the likes of Planet Unreal etc do that well. utassault.net was built as a home for Assault players, and that is what it will stay. I would imagine numbers will start to dwindle when UT2003 is released, but I would no way expect Assault to die. There will be a fair few people who will still be playing Assault until a better alternative comes along, whether that be in the form of an Assault conversion for UT2003, some other mod or a totally different game.

I'd expect Assault to be here at least 6 months after UT2003's release, since it would take that long for any decent alternative to surface and gain exceptance. If and when that does happen, who knows what will happen to the site, if most of the community move to whatever it is, then I guess everything will move with it, if not, then it will just shut down. No one can predict the future, who knows what we will all be doing in a years time.

If your worried simply about your contribution, then why not contribute based on what you have already recieved? After all a number of ppl have put their hands in their pockets to provide what you see today, surely they equally deserve to be re-imbursed as they do to pay for the future.

I have no problem with doing that, I was just wondering if you planned another site/league for UT2003. Obviously there will be costs in getting it all going and just wondered if my money would be better spent helping out there.

But as you don't seem to have that planned, I will be happy to help out here :]

Speaking for me personally, my days as a web-admin for a site like utassault.net are numbered. I am already looking for some1 to take over the running of the site ( read the news :) ). I enjoyed developing the site more than anything else, I never really had an interest in keeping the site up to date with content and had always hoped for support from the community for that. It never really came unfortunately, although Martz has done a great job with the forums, and likewise with CS & Brave keeping the league running, but they are the only reason utassault.net is still here, the main site is all but dead, and never really got off the ground as far as content goes (aside from a few guides and news posts, whose authors I am grateful too).

Programming and development is what I enjoy, and working on League Assault, and the league systems have been what I have enjoyed the most (as well as actually developing the main site). This is where I will be heading in the future, with mod development, starting with UT2003. I will be handing over my existing resposibilities, to willing recipients at the earliest opportunities.

Don't you think the number of people that visit this site that either

1) have never played AS before

and

2) Used to play AS but don't any more

are a good indication that there will still be a lot of mileage in utassault.net when things start to change.

I think as much as anything it's become a meeting/spamming/abusing place for lots of people that have got to know each other over the last couple of years.