Went camping last week... pics

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

TheBrain

Smart Guy
Jun 7, 2001
... right behind you
Went camping last weekend with my brothers in Gaspésie Provincial Park in the Gaspé peninsula in eastern Quebec. Highlight of the short trip was hiking up Mont-Albert. The trail is a loop about 11 miles long. The first 3.5 miles are strait up about 3500 feet(IIRC) to the top. Took us about 2 hours to get to the top. It was a perfect day weather wise, sunny and about 60°F up top and windy of course.. :) Last time I climbed the mountain a few years ago it was raining, very windy and only 25°F up top. :( lol

Mont-Albert viewed from near the trail-head. The trail goes up around the right side.
ma1.jpg

View from the lookout about 1mile up the trail. That big building is a hotel, it's where I took the above photo from.
ma2.jpg

My brothers and I, I look like a :freak:. (Mr_Bug, kakerjak, me)
ma3.jpg

Some nice views on the way up.
ma4.jpg

And up we go some more.
ma5.jpg

And some more. Getting pretty steep now, pretty close to the top.
ma6.jpg

Yay the top! It's a huge plateau up top. These mountains are part of the Appalachians and so have been around for quite some time and have been rounded down with time. There is a herd of woodland cariboo up top here, we could see them way off in the distance(too far for pics). You can see the trail going off into the distance. That's where we'll be heading soon.
ma7.jpg

The view 90° from the above pic. They call this area une mer de montagnes which means a sea of mountains.
ma8.jpg

A small lake at the top, very boggy aroung it.
ma9.jpg

Getting ready to start the trek down, 7 miles to go. There are still some patches of snow on the slopes. Down in the valley the trail joins up with the International Appalachian Trail. I should have turned right instead of left then I could of hiked all the way to Blown's doorstep. :P
ma10.jpg

The trail on the way down. Not much of a trail, mostly jumping from rock to rock while trying not to slip.
ma11.jpg

A nice stream/waterfall coming down beside the trail.
ma12.jpg

Devil's lake, only a few more miles till the end.
ma13.jpg

And a nice little waterfall at the end of the trail.
ma14.jpg

Last edited:
Sure thing lexy! :)

Digz, It's about 3800 feet. The trail starts not that far from sea level cause there is an elevation gain of about 3500 feet on the hike. To get to the park you follow the St-Lawrence river and just when it widens into the Gulf of St-Lawrence you head inland for about 20 miles. The road goes up and down but you don't gain very much altitude.

The "highest" mountain in the province is Mont Jacques-Cartier which is in the same park at 4100 feet. I hiked up it a few years ago but it's not as fun cause it's a lot more developped(you can drive halfway up=/ ) and there are tons of people there.

I said "highest" cause there is a mountain in the far north that is higher but it straddles the border with the province of Newfoundland so it's not completely in the province. :)

wow...i'll have to start camping around that area..(i usually do my camping up in northern ontario)