Weird twain32 error

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dog

Make the pie higher!!!
Jun 8, 2001
2ft. infront of you
Right, this has been on my desk for ages, I've tackled it from all angles and can't seem to find out how to fix it.

In short, a machine has previously had a agfa scanner installed, and with it the bundled program Fotolook.

Now a new scanner, epson 1640xl has been installed, and new drivers, etc.

the twain drivers it is using, are the epson specific, patched to the latest updated version on http://www.epson.com.

Whenever any program starts up, that interacts with twain 32, you get an error stating that "english.msg" could not be loaded, and you should check

c:\WINNT\system\twain32\fotolook_versionnumber for the file...

as far as I have been able to figure out, the file does fuck all, and is NOT accessed by the epson twain drivers, so... WTF?

Yes, I have uninstalled fotolook, I tried renaming the folder, thinking it was regkey setting somewhere, and if it couldn't find anything, it might not bother trying, which changed nothing... I poked about in the regdb, but got nowhere...

Basically, I am at the verge of reinstalling this machine, but it'd be a nightmare, seeing as there's shitloads of apps and data, the user needs... going WAAAYYY back...

it's running windows 2000, sp3, and all critical updates....

Last edited:
hrm, no... what I think is happening is that the programs, they all do it, correl, epson scan thingy, imaging, etc. looks for twain32 compatible scanners and find some remnant of the previously installed scanner there, can't get it functioning and then b0rks...

Thing is, I've been unable to locate why it is still finding the fotolook remnants

Just a couple of suggestions (try either, or all):

Suggestion 1:
Go to device manager; View>Show Hidden Devices.

Ensure anything to do with the old scanner is removed, then restart.

Suggestion 2:
Run regedit.exe, search (F3) for fotolook. Make a note of any directories / files it references, look for these files, if any of them looks like an inf/ini file, check it out, it may contain settings that are still accessed by TWAIN. Backup your registry before removing these keys.

Suggestion 3:
Bang around the room, smashing your fist on the table and/or keyboard, throw the mouse around and curse repeatedly at the monitor... It sometimes works! :p:

If i were you i wud download Agfa Scanwise, ownage prog :P
Maybe it works u nevah know.

Dunno howto solve this. Mayb its a cache problem.. Probably in ur register tho :P

I think my comment here is offtopic...

anyway, dog u n00b, u always moan about windows and its errors, then u suggest crap browsers everyone should use, etc.. i wonder why YOU are using windows... :rolleyes:

and SP3 is outdated...