VIA VT6421 controller doesn't get detected

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Black Ninja

Jan 25, 2002
Netherlands
Hey,

I just bought a VIA VT6421 Sata PCI controller to hook up my Xbox360 Toshiba/Samsung drive to my PC. This is to flash the firmware of the DVD-drive. I have an Asus P5B Deluxe, which does have onboard SATA, but this isn't supported to flash the xbox drive.

I just can't get the new Sata PCI controller to detect, so I can't even install the drivers. The motherboard has 2 PCI slots, on which I always have used a sound card and a Promise IDE controller, so the PCI ports aren't faulty.

Anyone have any tips to get the controller detected?

Thanx!

Thanx Deadboy,

Although I saw this line:

"MS28: as long as its not a sil you can use the vcc trick, altho its a lot easier if you have a via sata chipset and use the 10sec trick."

And that's really the route I'm going on I think, I don't want it to get to complicated, cause I might bug it up :P I also paid good money for the card and it took me ages to get it :o

I'm almost thinking it's just a faulty PCI card, it just won't budge.

I thought I'd hook it up directly through my SATA_Raid port on mobo. This way it does detect the drive weird enough, when I first tried one of the normal SATA ports on mobo it didn't detect the xbox drive.

Anyway, now it gives me:

5)0XAC00 IDE Pri Slave ATAPI TSSTCORP DVD-ROM TS-H943 A MS28

MKT Vendor intro failed on port 0XAC00

If you choose to resend the command, you should turn the drive off and on and power cycle the drive.

So it finds it, but I can't get into MKT flash, would this mean I already can use it as it is, without hex-editting or any pci controller what so ever?

I take it you've tried taking out your Promise controller + sound card, plus disable any onboard RAID ROM to get your new VT6421 card working?

I've found with Asus motherboards before that multiple controllers can conflict very easily.

Yes the sound card and Promise controller have been out from the very start. I also disabled the onboard JMicron controller before, that didn't help either :(

I don't have a 2nd pc to test the PCI card in, just a laptop, at least then I could conclude if the card is faulty or not