UTA - Resurgence

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Urgamanix

Miner
Staff member
May 29, 2003
Greetings!

Unreal Tournament 4 is currently undergoing development by Epic, in conjunction with player-developers. This development seemingly has a feel different to Unreal Tournaments past; it is the closest to the original UT99, uses the new Unreal 4 Engine, and has the largest community backing of any of Epic's previous attempts. It also feels like a classic, in terms of movement and gameplay.

No-one can be completely certain at this point, but the general consensus is that this new UT will be the most successful since UT99.

Epic have said that they don't have the bandwidth to work on game-types other than DM and CTF. As such, I've been coding an Assault game-type, the first version of which is now ready for testing internally.

A few of us have also partnered together to start planning for a true relaunch of this league and site. This will involve upgrading and clean-up of the forums, a site and logo redesign, upgrading the league code, along with putting some strong marketing and community generation in place.

In short - we have a lot of plans, and we want everyone to contribute their opinion and time; bringing back as much of the UT99 community (older, and wiser ;)) as possible is an absolutely critical step to success.

So, if this poor attempt at a call-to-arms has succeeded, please head over to this Trello board and join the conversation:

https://trello.com/b/Jtvc23S1/uta-resurgence

Thank you!
- Geoff

I'd like to first thank you, Urgamanix, for being the first person to provide support to this. I have been trying for over a year and only received empty offer of support (no disrespect to those legitimately desiring to help but unwilling to learn). It's important to have both someone (or someones!) Actively and willingly coding and great ambition and direction. Urgamanix is providing all of that. We are developing a clear plan to move forward into UT4 where we can both learn from the past and provide a solid foundation for future endeavors.

At this juncture we can't have anyone working alone: to undertake a massive project like this requires many small contributions from many people. With Unreal Engine 4 being free, powerful, easy to learn and easy to use, nobody has a good excuse. There are already tutorials for everything! Some things won't require UE4 and can build upon other skills you may have. We need to make Assault designed by Assault players.

Thanks Urgamanix for being the person, who brings back some hope and life in our community :) I give you a lot of credit for that !

Yes smant i agree, we all have to work together and put much effort in this, however you should know that not all people have the time to learn things regarding coding from scratch again.Who got the time should do it. I think the talented coders should work in that business.

For my part i am willing and can help with the forum, playtesting, promoting the mod and take part in the costs for servers, forums etc.

Let's bring back UTAssault together again and do what we can to make this a big success.

point irc.utassault.net to irc.quakenet.org or wherever

#utassault is dead, so might as well move over to where the also dead ctf etc ut99 people are.

was a big hinderance having split ut99 irc servers...

All of that stuff is being organised on the Trello board, please see my sig :)

I've had a few games on DM today and I've got to admit I really enjoyed it.

It does have that feel of UT99 with slightly minor differences (wall jumps, some weapons are slightly different, slightly quicker?).

I had a quick game on Overload (against bots), it felt good, everything seemed in the right place and looked right. Obviously I couldn't play around launching alone - I'm not even sure it's possible? I assume you can, the impact hammer has an aim "bubble".

I'd urge everybody to give it ago, It'd be nice to play Overlord with other people. I know this is in the very early stages, but it does look promising.

I'll be keeping my eye on developments and once there is something more solid, try and get a few of my friends to give it a go - might be hard to convert CS players, but I'll try!

Keep up the good work!

Hi guys, another update. We currently have several maps being built and tested, including new versions of some old classics. We've also started development on the new league site design (which will be similar in theme to the old site, don't worry :)). This is the point where we need to wait patient for maps to be tested, finalised and polished so sit tight.

The other develeopment is we now have our first utassault UT4 server, courtesy of Skalman! We will be uploading the current version of each map there in rotation, so look out for it as the primary play server. I will stick an IP up when the server is fully completed.

We will be running a pug on Wednesday 5th August at 9pm GMT

Will be playing 3 maps, first to 2 wins it. Please spread the word! Right now because UT is pre-alpha there are never more than 40-50 people playing the game, so need your help to bring in 12! Always remember we are building the game, maps and league in preparation for the official launch and player influx :)

- Guardia (v11)
- Rook (v2)
- Siege (v2)

If v1 of DDay is ready we will add DDay (v1) and Overlord99 (v7) to the mix. We also have a new more maps on the way but aren't yet ready to playtest. Still looking for someone with the balls to make a Riverbed]|[ remake!

Last edited:
Might be posted somewhere else, but I'm gonna try and get online to help make the numbers... so where do I need to be...? is it a iirc channel or something? #feelingold

Had a great pug yesterday! Server is accidently configured to 16 players so we played a 8v8 Rook with 2 spectators. Still one big bug to fix on the game code it seems! In the meantime next pug will feature more maps, more polish and launching :)