UTA Auth revival

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

'//3iRd(o)

Administrator
Sep 19, 2001
Dorset, UK
Hi,

It's come to our attention that certain people are trying to dodge their shockingly abysmal UT Stats history by taking advantage of the Auth system not working properly since 2015 :P

So - I've rectified this situation and refreshed the UTA Auth system to (kinda) work with the new forums.

tl;dr; Auth will be live today only, then again from 1st June 2020. If you're new to auth, or have forgotten your password, navigate to UTA Auth Config above.

NEW PLAYERS: Register to the forums here. Then set a password here. Your account will then be synchronised to the Auth system within 5 minutes.

Process is a little different now: Due to these forums using server side b-crypt to secure your passwords, we're unable to correctly match up the md5 hashes sent from your UT client - in laymans laypersons terms (yes, it's 2020), we're unable to authenticate you with your forum credential.

So, next best thing, you now have the ability to set a separate in-game password using the "UTA Auth Config" tab at the top of the forums.

You can set this to be the same as, or different to your forum password - the choice is yours. The only difference is that it's not using b-crypt, but instead using md5 hashing and salting.

Now, when you see the Auth prompt, you simply enter your forum username and the in-game password set in UTA Auth Config.

IMPORTANT: Because I like to make things easy for you slackers, I've imported all the old auth config from 5 years ago, so MOST of you should have an auth credential you can utilise (if you can remember that far back); if you've forgotten it - simply go to the tab above and set a new one.

Auth system will be live today on the pug server for validation, then it'll be put into "grace mode" until 1st June 2020 while people get their s#!t together and ensure they've got a working forum account and auth credential.

I'll be updating the FAQ later today.

Enjoy not being able to dodge your UT Stats history! :D

Last edited:
Hi, this isn't working for me anymore.

Server auth login used to work fine for me. I took a break from pugging, and now it just says "User §phere not found" when trying to join.

I've set my pw several times on the link provided, but the in-game message suggests it's not a pw issue? It doesn't know my user name?

Maybe something updated and it doesn't like the § in my name anymore?

broken.png

I could be missing something obvious - but I don't know what at this point :D

I also had issues logging in the last time I pugged. Even after changing my pw on the UTA Auth Config page.

It's every time I play a pug - with any server it can be set to. Now most of the time I wait for people to allowmercs before joining the server, so I don't get kicked.

Yesterday evening we played 2 pugs on the French server (unreal://cup3.utassault.net:7777) (05/11/23 20:05gmt to around 22:40gmt).
I think both pugs they allowmercs before I joined, so I didn't have to attempt to auth.

The pug I posted the screenshot from was on 29/10/23 21:20 (British time), again on the same French server.

I think most people can still auth, but for me (and I guess Ulv?) it just doesn't seem to know my player name.

It's not the end of the world, but it would be easier if both teams didn't have to type "mutate auth allowmercs" every time a pug starts.

OK - I can test auth'ing as you via browser OK, but I can't tell whether the game is encoding that first character correctly, as "?phere" is all I can see in the logs... May just be a log encoding thing, but may also be upstream. I've adjusted some of the encoding during the auth handshake, but if it's still not working, the only way to say for sure would be to adjust forum name to replace the first character, as I can't modify the game code doing the encoding itself - only the middle bits.

Last edited: