UT Settings?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

WaYnOs

[Nil]
Mar 25, 2004
Liverpool, England
Seem to be having some problems with UT at the moment. (again!! ffs). As the Dog servers seem to be the only servers I can find other players on, it seems I am limited to playing there. Although I have a good internet connection I always seem to have lag problems. Most common seem to be ping spiking, anything from 80 - 140 up and down constantly which makes hitting anthing but a stationary object impossible! Also started to get lag when switching weapons and occassionally seem to get "stuck" against objects, mainly walls! Its as if someone as coated them with "no nails" lol

This is a ping test I ran today after coming off the server because it was unplayable for me. I have disabled my antivirus and spyware software. No other programs are running in the background. Windows firewall is, but that has never been an issue before. I know most of you will say its the Dog server, needs rebooting etc, but it seems ok for other players. Any idea's on how I can fix or at least address these issues? I know my skills are shite anyways, but it would be nice to be shite and not be able to blame lag for one!!!! thx again gents! :hangover:

17ms is fine for a ping to that server, doesnt mean your ping to dog server is fine, routing is different for everyone to every server.

ping test dog servers themselves
go to run
type cmd
at the command prompt that opens type ping 213.230.216.4 -n 50

tell me what you get for min, max, avg

Ping there looks OK, not great. I would say 60 ping average in game and maybe the odd spike to 100ms. Is this what you are getting or worse?

F6 ping between 80 and 140. Mainly around the 80 - 90 but constantly changing, sometimes very erratic!

I use open gl drivers for UT and downloaded one of the files from the forums. Works fine, appearance wise it is ok. How can I test my fps settings whilst playing ut? I remember ages ago there was a little tool that I used to use. Think it was Fraps? Or perhaps my video card could be to blame??? Dunno really. Don't think its the connection, ingame grafix seem fine, sometimes get a little laggy but always put that down to the server tbh! ;)

If you guys could recommend something for me to try, I would be more than willing to give it a go!

Thanks again for your help! :)

OK, so I downloaded and installed FRAPS. Great, telling me I am getting a constant 60fps on Dog Stds.
I also switched demorecorder off. Windows firewall off too as is all a/v and spyware proggies. Seems to make a difference a little. Still had major problems with one player on Dog whose ping was about 75 on screen. I was hitting him with snipper full headshot with full zoom and nothing. He then running over bridge on Guardia with back to me and I leathered him with slime and still nothing. He then turns around and fires one flack at me (I had full health and low and behold, I am knocking on heavens doors....again!) Funny game this. Still enjoy it to fuck, but suppose will have to put up with some shit. Even if I had perfect system with very low ping, no lag whatsoever, I would still get owned!!! lol Gonna give this up as a bad job and call it normal, just have to learn to live with it!!! lol

Might be worth noting that the displayed F6 on dog servers is bugged (for me at least). It is not a true representation of your actual ping, it will appear to be high and will spike all the time. Mine does this too, although the server feels fine and when I ping the server in windows the results are normal.

Even though you said that it feels laggy, make sure that it is your ping which is the problem and that you are not mixing it up with a graphical/FPS issue. As MyM said your dos ping looks decent, just has the odd spike here and there which would more or less go unnoticed.

Try other servers such as multiplay/pug server to exclude the possibility of it being a graphical fault.

You check your FPS in UT via Esc -> Tools -> TimeDemo Statistics (while being on the server).

Also, even if you have perfect latency there will always be situations like what you just described. Other people's rubbish connections can and will fuck you up.

Might be worth noting that the displayed F6 on dog servers is bugged (for me at least). It is not a true representation of your actual ping, it will appear to be high and will spike all the time. Mine does this too, although the server feels fine and when I ping the server in windows the results are normal.

Isnt this down to the variable TR on the server, can't remember if he uses that or not?
Look at TR and see if it varies, on an empty server itll be 15 or so and if you then fire minigun it should jump up to 25-30, whatever Timo has it set at, this will make your ping lower/higher depending on TR obviously in gameplay you shouldnt notice it change.

WaYnOs if you are getting a constant 60 FPS then I doubt its your UT/PC, if you get a laggy moment and your fps drops then its UT or PC config if that doesnt happen then I would look to the side of connection, try connecting to dog through unreall://www.utapug.net:17777 for dog std or unreall://www.utapug.net:18888 for dog customs and see if thats any different

Just downloaded and ran some free benchmark software. Never done this before so dont know how these results compare. The other reason for posting this is so it gives you an idea of what my system build is and weather I am expecting too much from it for a game thats nearly 13 yrs old!!! lol anyways, see images below. If you need more info, let me know, otherwise your remarks would be appreciated (by those who know!!)

Thx again gents! :)

Attachments

• My System 1.jpg
    My System 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 104
  • Benchmark test 1.jpg
    Benchmark test 1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 18
:lol: god knows what I was thinking earlier, wrong IP and I put unreall twice, two l's why!

put in the following in open location 109.234.199.211:17777
Itll make you join dog std, see if ping is any better

Thanks Mym, tried it and it seemed a little better. Could do with some help off you when you get some "spare" time.

I have just rented a UT99 server which I could do with some expert help with (basically, setting the feckin thing up) If you can help out mate, pm me and I will forward you the server details and set you up as a user to admin/change files.

Hopefully, this one will get some use. Its very reasonably priced, is a 14 slot server London based. Just hope peeps will use it!!! To start with, I think it is best to set it up as a std map server. Hopefully if it is being used, it might be worth putting all the bells and whistles on (or what others recommend) I would like it to grow as people use it and take into concideration there views too!

Drop us a line if you feel you can help, pm me with your user name, first and last names (or aka names!) email and what p/w you want to use and I will put you on as a user. I will also forward all the info to you so you can take a peek!

Thx mate :):):):):)

If it seemed a little better then it's def your connection/routing to the server

I'll PM you laterabout the server, should get time over the weekend

MyM said:
Isnt this down to the variable TR on the server, can't remember if he uses that or not?
Look at TR and see if it varies, on an empty server itll be 15 or so and if you then fire minigun it should jump up to 25-30, whatever Timo has it set at, this will make your ping lower/higher depending on TR obviously in gameplay you shouldnt notice it change.

Just went and tried it out and it seems to be fine :lol: I do definitely remember it happening before though. But just now F6 was stable even when firing minigun :dunce:

Last edited:
W1sh you could see he was on virgin media from the first post, where it says, ISP= Virgin Media :P but I didnt want to say anything, ppl on that ISP rarely change even when its bad :D

Just curious Mym, whats the diff, login via ip instead of through assault-tab in game? I get an uk-flag and somewhat other kind of lag...?

The IP above is a tunnel, you are connecting to my server and that is then connecting to dog server. It can change the routing, so instead of using your routing to dog you use your routing to mine which may be different and avoid any problems or it may make it worse, was a test to see if routing changed did it change his problems.

WaYnOs if its your ISP then there isnt much you can do about it, just hope they fix it at some point.