user.ini swapping

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

jwer_NL

***YODA***
Oct 18, 2001
GRUN OWNS
heard there was a mod or summin that you could swap user.ini's in game ...

startin to play other mods... and i realised a "suicide" button very close to the controls isn't as handy in TDM then in assault..

anyone can help me with this?

jan, you can create .txt files with various commands and then execute them.. ace had a nice article on this on the old UTA site. only thing is b/c i know you have stuff like say blah, i died going to new spawn | suicide, you'll end up using alot of alias's b/c of the set input used in the .txt would need alias's afaik to put in a spiffy bind.
dunno bout changing the entire thing mid game tho.. people have asked.. i used to change it manually.. np for me at this point as i got my sui button on my backspace or delete key :D

It goes something like this...
in ur user.ini put
a=exec assault.txt
c=exec ctf.txt

where assault.txt is your assault ini file (in format of standard user.ini) and ctf.txt is ur ctf ini.

My problem is my kids mess with the user.ini. I keep my own backed up and don't rely on a key switch, because if i did all of a sudden the kids become Arse(..*..) and people might start to think I can actually play UT...

LR has pointed to best source, u can get ACE's user.ini's from neo's excellent (not updated gggrrrrr) site...
http://www.neorox.co.uk/oinis.html

Yeah, use txt files.

About set input or alias, afaik you cant add several commands to a single key from a txt file. Example:

Set Input X Teamsay <<Tactical Suicide>> | Suicide

It will work if you type it into console, but it wont work if you exec it from a txt file, it omits everything to the right of |
Dunno why :confused:

You have to use an alias

Aliases[xx]=(Command="Teamsay <<Tactical Suicide>> | Suicide",Alias=SuicideBind)

then on your txt file

Set Input X SuicideBind

Will work :)

Yup, a pain if you have to set an alias for every multiple bind you wanna use. Teamsay <<Incoming LOW!!>> | Speech 4 14 ... etc
:\

Could have different shortcuts to ur UT, ie have 1 ini for TDM called TDM.ini and 1 for Assault called assault.ini then have 2 icons to start ut with the command line for each as follows:

drive: \UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe USERINI=TDM.ini

drive: \UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe USERINI=assault.ini

Doesnt exactly let you change ini mid game tho, altho the exec a text file method can be a pain in the arse cos you have to do set input xxx command for every bind you wanna change, and do the lot again changing it back again :\ - depends how much you can be arsed to do it :)

Psy: because it treats it like this, and even midgame if you type it in console, it will 'omit it'

it thinks of it as

[set input x teamsay <<< Tactical Suicide >>>] and to the right of the | [suicide] as another seperate command.. so you would most likely suicide if it were midgame

Originally posted by Uzi-Suicide
Could have different shortcuts to ur UT, ie have 1 ini for TDM called TDM.ini and 1 for Assault called assault.ini then have 2 icons to start ut with the command line for each as follows:

Nice
That is just what I needed thx!

drive: \UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe USERINI=ARSE.ini

drive: \UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe USERINI=ARSE_JR.ini

No m8, just tryed it, ant it sets the bind correctly if you type it into console.
So, why not from a txt? :confused:
It should be the same.
Maybe it needs a different syntax.

Phear? CS? Ace?
Any clue?

Originally posted by Uzi-Suicide

Doesnt exactly let you change ini mid game tho, altho the exec a text file method can be a pain in the arse cos you have to do set input xxx command for every bind you wanna change, and do the lot again changing it back again :\ - depends how much you can be arsed to do it :)

gonna try that, if it works it's :thumb:

Psy: what you type in console? every time i type something like

set input x suicide | say blah blah

it'll set input x sui and then actually say blah blah

I just tryed my example, typed into console (I did copy/paste from here)

Set Input X Teamsay <<Tactical Suicide>> | Suicide

Nothing happened, of course, but the bind is set.
Then I press "X" key, and it says the msg, then suicide.
Working.
Im using G.O.T.Y. Edition...

I use .txt files for switching commands/controls. Only the thing is, when I switch I get connection failed but the commands/controls is set right.