Upgrade to vB3

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
Urghh

Well, I thought I would do an upgrade, which turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.. but we got here in the end. One of the problems I had was with the permissions which allow people into the forums. They had to be deleted to get the upgrade installed as it was clogging up the system. They are all gone now, so many of you will find that you cannot access some private forums you should be able too. Well help is at hand.

Later on or in the morning I'll try and waffle of about some of the new bits in vB3, and why I've been waiting for it so long. For the moment please let me know of any problems here and I'll add them to the list.

So far I know there are a lot of broken images, and the styles are a mess. They need to be redone, as we now have a new templates system for multiple languages. I will attempt that when I can over the weekend.

- Attach file is gay
- Viewers of forums arent listed
- Most uncommonly used smilies appear in the initial smilie box effort

Also, every clan's sub-forums are listed on the clan forum index page, making it a total bitch to scroll through.

Humph said:
- Attach file is gay

they are just random afaik.

edit: errm will he psots counts be taken into the new version?
alot of people may want there respect for yrs of spamming :lol:

Last edited:
- Attach file is gay

Why? Because now you can have multiple attachments in 1 post, each of which are automatically resized and show as thumbnails?
Be more specific? You mean whos online?

Yeah it is random.

Many of the enhancements you might not see Humph right now, or even in the next few weeks until things get sorted out. And the admin panel upgrade alone has been worth the hassle.

Looking good :D

List of improvements in vB3 here btw.

And Humph if you don't stop whining about things that havn't had time to be configured yet i'll be happy to ban you so you can't see the forums at all. :o

Is there ANY way to get rid of all the crap I got now on the forums? I dont care about the colors. Just noticed a couple of things.. how can I:

- get rid of the (.. viewing) after each thread
- get rid of the emotishit and time last posted on the right side
- get the invisibility mode functioning
- get rid of last visited box + private messages on the right side
- jesus christ.. to outline everything to the left instead of that centered bullshit in posts

I couldnt find it in options.. you would think with this "upgrade" you'd have much more options to personalise your forum display, but no.. still the same options. Besides that it loads SLOW!

And there's probably a lot more.. if you care so much about your precious little admin console, why not just upgrade that? Everything on the forum was fine, this is crap! Also.. why on earth would you upgrade to a beta version? That means if the final version comes out you have to upgrade again? I want the old version back.

Humph said:
You can still see the forums, you just cant post.
Since when have you had admin control and known what options are available? I suggest you stop assuming things you obviously have no idea about and go back to posting in chit chat.

Timmah, the forums come as a unit, a new admin console without a forum that supports it would be useless. And the forum has many more features available now. Speed is fine here so I suggest you check your connection. Invisibilty you appear to have, if theres some reason you think it's broken an explanation of exactly whats wrong would help us fix it. Everything else you've talked about are styles. And it's going to take a bit of time to rewrite those.
We could have course left the forum closed while we got it completly configured. If you wanna call it crap and don't have enough patience to see out little inconviences then fuck off somewhere else.

I'm talking about the fact that you can still read posts without even being logged in.

TIMMAH said:
Is there ANY way to get rid of all the crap I got now on the forums? I dont care about the colors. Just noticed a couple of things.. how can I:

- get rid of the (.. viewing) after each thread
- get rid of the emotishit and time last posted on the right side
- get the invisibility mode functioning
- get rid of last visited box + private messages on the right side
- jesus christ.. to outline everything to the left instead of that centered bullshit in posts

I couldnt find it in options.. you would think with this "upgrade" you'd have much more options to personalise your forum display, but no.. still the same options. Besides that it loads SLOW!

And there's probably a lot more.. if you care so much about your precious little admin console, why not just upgrade that? Everything on the forum was fine, this is crap! Also.. why on earth would you upgrade to a beta version? That means if the final version comes out you have to upgrade again? I want the old version back.

To start with your last post first, we can't just upgrade the admin cp to get the features we want for better community stuff.

Why upgrade to a beta? A few people have said that. This script has been about 2 years in the making, and has been in beta for months now, after a a handfull of selected boards ran it as a "private beta" for all that time. These forums started out on vB 2.x beta, we fixed a lot of problems which needed ironing out, and we were able to offer more to the user. Yes we will have to upgrade again, but I have done around 30 upgrades since we first started out, to keep with the times, add new features from the vB team, address security updates and eventually getting a very well oiled forum.

There are also a load of issues which you will find. I didn't say it was finished or perfect, this is when the real work starts and you can let me know of these problems so I can sort them out.

The other way it could have been done would be to shut the forums down for 2-3 days to get every single part of it working 100%, but I wanted them back open ASAP.

I like it!

altho I do have a horizontal scrollbar thingy, dunno if its a resize bug or if u need 1280x resolution or higher

especially like the wider user profile thingy, makes everyone want a 150x150 avatar :D

by everyone I mean me

see some nice upgrades there, i just dont like the design but nevermind that will be fine once im used to it :D

but on the invisible thing, timmah is right. i checked the "invis mode" thing and im not in the list of logged on users, but my name is displayed when i surf a specific forum at the bottom of that forum

- Users currently watching this forum: Ice*

or at the bottom of threads: