Unreal: Conflict Interview

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

whate should i say except "nice one!!" ? :)

hope the whole project gets more popular now - would be great to see this becoming really big and successful :)

Its scrolled off their news page now :\ I'll see if I can get a copy. We should have some Screenshots of development stuff soon too hopefully :D

For people that dont want to got to there fourms here is what was said!

Well i heard about a new MOD that sounds really cool called Unreal: Confilt it was the ASII project (been re-named) well I interviewed PHEAR (He's the top man there) all about it and im told we may be able to see a few screen shots shortly
Anyway here is the interview between ME and PHEAR

<[SLY]Bazza> Hi

<Phear> Howdy

<[SLY]Bazza> Just so the people know what we are talking about can you give us a run down of what it is your trying to do?!

<Phear> Unreal: Conflict (until now know as Project ASII) is a total conversion for UT2003 designed primarily with team play in mind. The aim is to take the basic principals of Assault from Unreal Tournament, whereby you have 2 teams, one required to complete a set of objectives and the other to prevent them doing so, and expand it into a complete new game type.

<[SLY]Bazza> Ok, sunds cool -- when did the team first start out?!

<Phear> The team was put together in April of this year, mainly from prominent developers of the Assault community.

<[SLY]Bazza> Whats your position in the team?!

<Phear> I'm lead programmer and team co-ordinator.

<[SLY]Bazza> cool, has the team started working on anything to do with the MOD yet?!

<Phear> Yes, but only in a limited way. Since UT2003 hasn't been released yet it is impossible for us to actually begin work on the actual mod, however we have done a lot of pre-development work, finalising the specifics of the mod and developing some models, pre-fabs, textures etc.

<[SLY]Bazza> Sounds like a good start, maybe a daft question but have you any idea how long the MOD will take after the release of the game?!

<Phear> None whatsoever im afaid. As Epic/DE are fond of saying, "When its done"

<[SLY]Bazza> Hehe, nice-one

<[SLY]Bazza> So onto maps, will any maps be based on any AS maps in UT?! such as overlord?! (wich ir truely a classic)

<Phear> The mod is based around a theme, much like RTCW is based on WW2, and CS/TO are based around Counter Terrorism. Unreal: Conflict is based around a future war, between the races who take part in the tournament. Unfortunately this doesn't leave much scope for direct conversions of maps such as Overlord, but you may see versions of some Assault maps, or different versions of the same concept (for example a futuristic version of Overlord).

<[SLY]Bazza> OH, well what you have just said sounds really interesting, so the idea is not just to play a map but to win a war?!

<Phear> If you like yes, each map will be a scenario, a battle from that war.

<[SLY]Bazza> ahh, sounds fun

<[SLY]Bazza> will it play like UT2003 or will it be a realism mod?!

<Phear> It won't be a realism mod in the way CS/TO are, after all it is based in the distant future and under the assumption technology has moved on considerably. However it won't be the same as UT2003, this is a war not a sports arena.

<[SLY]Bazza> so we will see some new cool wepons?!

<Phear> Yes, we will be developing whole new weapons and inventory, however you might see some (possibly slightly modified) standard UT2003 weapons too.

<[SLY]Bazza> cool

<[SLY]Bazza> there has been alot of speculation over the use of vehiclas in UT2003 -- do you have plans to imply any in your mod?!

<Phear> I can't say for sure whether or not we will include vehicles at this stage, but we hope to.

<[SLY]Bazza> will it be possible for mappers to create maps for unreal: Conflict ?!

<Phear> Yes, we will endeavour to help mappers create custom maps, and provide them with all the information nessacary to do so. We try to support the community as much as possible.

<[SLY]Bazza> nice-one

<[SLY]Bazza> are there any other features going to be implemented wich havnt been mentioned?!

<Phear> Well we've only really scratched the surface of Unreal: Conflict, but at this stage there isn't a lot more I can tell you, for that you'll have to wait until UT2003 is released and development gets into full swing.

<[SLY]Bazza> ok cool, is there any last things you wish to mention?!

<Phear> I think that about covers it. Our website (http://www.infinitegames.co.uk) should be finished soon, but until then you can follow the mods progress, ask any questions, or offer suggestions on our forums (http://forums.utassault.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=286).

<[SLY]Bazza> ok cool

<[SLY]Bazza> thanks for your time

<Phear> No problem

<[SLY]Bazza> and good luck with the mod

<Phear> Thanx!

I think the idea is pretty orginal and could have a lot of potential.
if i see the list of people that are working on this, i kinda expect the end result to be ace
(finally a chance to kick some warcow and skaarj ass :D )

Unfortunately not, we're talking about the Races in UT2003, of which the main 2 are Human and Gen Mo'Kai, however I won't discount the posibility we will bring back the Skaarj or Nali :)