UK music industry: BPI "pursues" 23 people

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4318765.stm

The UK music industry has claimed victory in its first battle with illegal file-sharers after 23 people paid £50,000 to settle out of court
It looks like the American RIAA tactics have landed in the UK now, each person averaging settlements of £2000+ each.

I just don't understand the tactics. They could harness the intarweb and the technology behind it, and make lots more money through subscriptions of their entire back catalogue than selling CDs. Already in the UK, downloads of singles have overtaken the number of cd single sales in shops. They simply do not want to lose control over the distrubution, promotional and marketing monopoly that they strangle consumers with at the moment.

It means people have choice and variety, instead of the false market we have now.

:shout:

Fifteen of the 23 used the Kazaa peer-to-peer network, four used Imesh, two used Grokster, one used WinMix and one was on BearShare.
I guessing usenet is too hard for the retards at the RIAA/BPI to crack :D

I wonder though, it mentions that a number of the people were children (ie under the age of responsibility). The parents could easily plea at least to diminished responsiblity and possibly get the charges dropped.

Last edited:
That is plain filthy. When will they realise that CDs and DVDs are wildly overpriced.

They should offer downloads as a "no-frills" service and like £2 per album or something. I bet there are 5 times as many people willing to pay 2 quid than there are willing to pay 10 quid. So it's not like they'd lose money. And.... they'd have five times as many paying customers, so less pirates. Win win situation.

Why do so many people fly with easyjet and ryanair? You might not get any of the nicities, but it's cheaper and u still get to where u want to be. Like CDs compared to downloads, you don't get all the packaging and the nice printed CD, but you still get your music.

[rant]

I have never purchased a CD branding a record label, if they charged a resonable price I would. I am not gonna buy an album at roughly £0.70/track when I wown't like half the tracks anyway. The reason why the record companys dislike the internet is because artists can sell their music on it making 100% of the proffit. Compare this to the average of 25% they would get by selling through a record company.

Also...
  • I am paying for the case, label, transportation and storage of something I don't even want (the physical disc that is).
  • CD + Packaging, takes up loads of room compared to the few µm it would if I downloaded it.
  • Mp3 player v CD player, think of all them CD's you'd have to log around compared to having an MP3 player
  • Unless you buy compilation you just get the same music on the cd (very boring)
  • Much quicker to download than to go into town and buy it.
  • Most CDs often only use about 70% of the CD, more wasted space which if you did it yourself you could have filled.
  • Music at the moment to be honest is shite, there are a few good groups around but there rest is crap POP pumped out by the record companys.
:shout: :shout: :shout:

[/rant]

Its fuckin stupid and pathetic.
They have made the offenders "promise" to not download and share files again!!??

I myself would pay around 50p per tracke - np . But when the albums cost around £10 and the DVDs are £20 - what a rip off.

The BPI/RIAA just bully the consumers!