The future of assault!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

BRaiNRaiN

Crusading against smileyspammers!
Jun 8, 2001
I was just reading an interview with Mark Rein and Jeff Morris on ign. They talk about the new unreal tournament 2007, and as far as I can see, they do not want to go further with Assault, but they will merge it with the new version of Onslaught: Onslaught 2.0

Something in 2004 that we brought back was Assault, which was an objective based game type, but we found that it was really hard to play these online if you didn't know the people that you were playing with. It was very much a game of coordinated strategy. We took what people liked about the game type like objectives and a story to the level and rolled those into Onslaught and that's something that we'll be highlighting at E3. They've been merged into Onslaught 2.0 and we think it's a great blend of what people liked about both game types.

what do you guys think? Looking forward to this or do we want to stick with our 7 year old game?

I still think that they should ask our opinions, more than the last time. in UT2004 they didnt really listen to our oppinions and rather decided the future of assault for themselves. Merging it with Onslaught might be a good initiative, but they still should ask our oppinions. Coz I think most of us feel left out in UT2003 and UT2004.

anyways a link to the interview:IGN Interview

Assault should be just assault, not onslaught. I don't see how it's going to work like that tbh. Imo assault in 2k4 is ruined by lack of launching and that damn respawn delay. And those jump pads are no substitute for hammer/rl launches.

Hmm hard to say.
I like ut2k4 ONS but ut99 AS is still my favourite. UT2k4 AS is just plain shit :/ Somehow i can't imagine merged version of ONS and AS but i still would like to at least try it before saying if it's good or not.

BRaiNRaiN said:
but they still should ask our oppinions
They never did and probably never will :/

brajan said:
Well, I can still remember that Willhaven was here to discuss the assault gameplay in UT2004. But we didnt come any further than that we defended our launching possibilities (from UT99) and him defending the thoughts of Epic about launching (or more over: no launching). We had some gameplay session with him, where he showed us the possiblities for mapmakers in trickjumping (by walljumps etc.). But the lack of launching was one of the main points for us that we wanted to see in UT2004, which didnt happen. :\

so basicly yea, ur right :lol:

Onslaught is great, best part of 2k4. The assault was crap, the maps IMO just didn't work, and I feel that merging the new as and ons may just be a big mess. Assault 2k4 is different to Assault 99, Onslaught is fine as it is, so develop that but don't try and combine those.

But they may suprise me and make it amazing, we'll see.

same opinion as said before, launching with teammates is a "must be" in the new Assault because it makes so fun inventing new launches and get to know how to aim and so on...(ye I like physics :p) and the joy when it works in a leaguematch which can bring you further in a map. But they better invent Vehicles and so on that every noob knows how to cope with longer distances which is imo not a good solution.

merging Onslaught and Assault would also not be really good imo, because Onslaught is a map where you have to go at bases every time and you always see the same areas. Assault is always further going with new spawns like on a line with much more different situations and issues to solve.

Last edited:
brajan said:

They did ask peoples opinions.. but nobody of us (UTA) was important/good enough in a big community where players were asked for example world champion players @ E3 and stuff like that.

@ Headcase: And about the launching: Launching was not ment to be in UT99... and thats why its not in UT2004 neither... actually they even put in invis walls in case somebody makes a launch mod.
I have 2 different launch mods people made... but they never were finished due to less interest by comunity and all standard maps would have to be tweaked... becauase there are invis walls.

Last edited:
also designing maps to make them playable/fun with launching is much mroe time consuming than making a map like riv 3 or guardia or overlord...or hispeed etc...... as it is now most std maps arent played any more because launching is not so easy on those maps and therefore they are too hard to attack.

then again in 2k4 where launching was no longer possible, all assault maps were hard to attack once people knew where to defend them .....

Launching is the one and only salt in the soup! Assault is not Assault if launching isn't included.

I think Epic has no clue what we like about AS, hence the new mode will be junk... just like 2k4AS