Team X-Bomb vs Team Hoi (1 of 2)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
QUARTERS: TEAM X-BOMB vs TEAM HOI

-=-=-

MATCH 1 (OF 2)

-=-=-

TEAM X-BOMB (5)
(0 MAPS AVG)

X-Bomb
OD
Yako
Lucy
JACKEL
NoMercy
Lenneth

VERSUS

TEAM HOI (6)
(0 MAPS AVG)

Hoi
Sphere
Ban
Spoq
YMD
Killing_Joke
ODIN

-=-=-

DATE: 13/10/09
TIME: 20:30 GMT
SERVER: (-8-)
UTV: unknown

RED MAPS: Ballistic, Desertstorm, Autorip, Siege
BLUE MAPS: GolgothaAL, Golgotha][AL, TheDungeon]l[AL, Bridge, Riverbed]l[AL

WINNING CONDITION: Best of 9 maps!
ADDITIONAL AGREEMENTS: Hoi picks 5 maps, XB 4

-=-=-

PRE-MATCH CAP COMMENTS

X-BOMB: "WE WILL DO OUR BEST WITH THE HAND WE ARE DEALT...........BOOOOOOM"

HOI: "Hoping for a nice and good start for this october cup. We are encountering another team without a real 'starplayer' so that might be interesting. May the best team win. GL & HF"

-=-=-

Good luck to all players!

Last edited:
RESULT:TEAM X-BOMB 5 - 1 TEAM HOI

-=-=- -=-=- -=-=- -=-=- -=-=-

TEAM X-BOMB PLAYERS: X-Bomb(c), OD, Yako, Lucy, NoMercy, Lenneth
TEAM HOI PLAYERS: Hoi(c), Sphere, Ban, Spoq, YMD, Killing_Joke

TEAM X-BOMB MAPS WON:Siege][, Desertorm, GolgothaAL, Ballistic, Golgotha][AL
TEAM HOI MAPS WON: Bridge

My Man of The Match: I want to say yako or od because they were both terrific, but XB takes it for great attacks, great defence and great tactics.

>> Match screens and demos <<

MATCH REPORT:

The second day of the Cup brings the first leg of the faceoff between X-Bomb and Hoi, two captains whose teamplay and launching was always going to be interesting. The teams had opted for a first-to-5 arrangement in each leg, which meant that every map was more crucial than usual, and since neither team knew quite what to expect from the other, the map selections were a mixture of spam, launch and luck :P

In the end this match was much shorter than last night's hospitaliser between d1sc and Meteor, but the scoreline doesn't accurately reflect events. First of all, the match was meant to start at 20:30 GMT but XB was still tinkering with the server and his own problematic UT settings (something we can all sympathise with). Five minutes later he had made a bit of an arse of it, so he stood back, took a deep breath, cleared his mind of all negativity... and just fifteen short minutes later he had made slightly more of an arse of it. Someone had the good sense to pm MyM who took one look at the server, sighed, and put it all right with a three second fart. Next time start there XB :trout:

Now bored and confused, us poor speccers (gj d1sc) were in agreement that Hoi's team looked by far the stronger, more confident and better prepared, until we realised that this was because none of the reds had managed to join. Eventually they did after a thousand false starts, and the match was underway!

With such a great spread of players to watch, I thought this match was going to be fascinating, trying to see how the two captains were thinking, watching them try to outsmart each other wherever they could. There was a bit of this to begin with in (for me) a really enjoyable Siege. From the start it seemed obvious by the way the reds were playing that XB was willing to try dangerous tactics and trust his players to be able to carry them out. It was also clear that he was going to watch what Hoi did and adapt accordingly. Imo this is what won Siege for team.xb, as they did early in the second round what Hoi's team did too late in the first - attacked en masse via the Tower tele. More on that later.

From there the red team got stronger (or at least got no weaker) while the blues began to struggle and it was hard to see where victory for Hoi was going to come from. The blues didn't exactly play badly but luck was more on the side of the reds, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that a replay of this first leg is not completely unreasonable. After all the propaganda about making sure every team has their players damn well ready to play by match time, it's kind of funny that XB fucked his own organisation up so spectacularly. GG Cup Arranger! The blue team also dropped a player more than once (Golg and Desert) without anyone on either team noticing for quite a while. XB was good enough to sit when the absence was pointed out, but by then too much time had already been lost. In 5v5 this of course makes a big difference, so in a first-to-5, playing 4v5 twice is not exactly the path to victory. None of this is red's fault however.

Also, as with Met's team last night, luck came the way of the reds a few times, often at objectives. Then again, they attacked so well and so much as a team that anyone watching would happily allow them some luck. Meanwhile blue, with the possible exception of Ban, all had some headless chicken, objective losing moments, and they were not organised enough. They also made lots of basic mistakes in every map which added up to a big overall loss, and they cannot blame it all on YMD dropping a couple of times. In the end it was all over quite quickly, and the reds imo deserved their triumph. Given blue's occasional player problems, perhaps 5-1 is not justice, but bearing in mind team.xb's better tacs, fragging and teamplay, an XB win seems pretty fair to me.

TEAM.X-BOMB POSITIVES:

Steady, overwhelming attacks from swarms of reds who just seem to keep coming fast
Captain with a great head for fluid tactics
Willing to try unexpected tacs to upset the opposition
A team chock full of fraggers of varying degrees
:spam: WALL OF SPAM !!! :spam:

TEAM.X-BOMB NEGATIVES:

No top-tier players? Does this matter when they attack so well anyway?
XB couldn't admin a potato waffle

TEAM.HOI POSITIVES:

Another strong captain with a head for tactics
Always prepared to set up quick launches to spring a surprise, and the launches usually work
Hoi is playing well in all respects and he has no weak players in his squad

TEAM.HOI POSITIVES:

Didn't cope well when the opposition changed their tactics
More than one of Hoi's team-mates did not defend nearly as well as expected, or as their player ratings suggested
Seriously unaware of what's going on around them sometimes - wtf is up with those comms?!

MAPS BREAKDOWN

-=-=-

WARMUP: THEDUNGEON][AL

Blue defended full time.

-=-=-

MAP 1 - SIEGE][

MAP REPORT:

The blues launched Sphere forwards to get the Gatehouse, then began going through their whole repertoire of rocket launches. But XB had put himself and od on the roof, Lenneth on tele duty, and both NoMercy and yako outside unexpectedly, which meant that even if Hoi's team managed to get off a launch from low, the roof campers were always going to have plenty of warning. It took the blues a while to change their attitude and Hoi opted to push everyone low through the Tower. XB responded well by pulling everyone inside to help out, so it was a while before the blue captain was able to struggle his way to the roof and finish off the mcpotts to take the map in 5:26.

XB's turn and he had learned quickly from the first round. A quick dark was tried, as usual, but seeing that was covered from high XB pushed everyone into the Tower and steadily began to swamp the blue defence. Blue got just as unlucky with Tower spawns as red had in the first round, which helped team.xb to power to the roof and finish it in a mere 1:58. Shame there were no real funny moments, just fast and efficient play.

MAP RESULT: TEAM.X-BOMB WIN!

SCORE: 1 - 0

-=-=-

MAP 2 - BRIDGE

MAP REPORT:

Sphere was in position quick to stop a cave launch and from there the reds all but ignored launching, seeing that Sphere had it under control. They instead started pushing low hard and at one point there were an incredible four blues at Second, all struggling to take down NoMercy and then XB behind him. There's backdef and there's just insanity! NoMercy then got od up on his next run from a double tree and again it needed three blue players at the Final to take him down, Spoq getting the finishing shot. Blue's def had been broken up brilliantly by XB's fast-ass attacking, and XB himself grabbed the Second right away. Final followed quickly from another inexorable push by the reds (the very first run from Second), then the Explosives a little later. Hoi's team got their act together at the Detonator, with od (after a great spree) and Lenneth both being potted by Sphere on the button (and od also got killed when he ran along the top of the bridge and got taken out by the turret :lol: ), but not for long. Blue were on the ropes by 10:57 with the red captain getting the points from a low pads hut launch.

This round was what made me think this match would be so much closer. With the reds playing so well and Hoi's team looking a bit confused, a reverse was not to be expected. But Hoi's team failed a couple of launches then pushed low as XB had, and Hoi's arch-sneakage soon won his team Second and Door Pressure. The blues were trying to launch but XB put two on the beach which took care of that. Spoq did manage to launch his captain to Explosive 1, only for Hoi to twat himself in the face with his own r/l, under no pressure, one inch from the obj. Leo style! I will be making t-shirts of the related screenshot which will go on sale soon, all proceeds go to Hoi's Charity for the Stupid.

Anyway, Sphere got fed up, grabbed the belt and boots, and pushed low to claim Final with just over one and a half minutes to go. At one point XB had four reds inside the Explosives but the def was not good and XB himself let Sphere sneak in behind him to grab 3 and 4. It didn't take long for that man Sphere to take the Detonator from across the bridge with thirty seconds to go.

MAP RESULT: TEAM.HOI WIN!

SCORE: 1 - 1

continued...

Last edited:
MAP 3 - DESERTSTORM

MAP REPORT:

Lucy replaced Lenneth on the red team to defend this map, and killing_joke dropped out for YMD, or what was supposed to be YMD. He didn't join in time and blue were attacking 4v5, but red didn't notice and blue didn't tell them. In spite of this Spoq took the Scud on 9:34 and blue looked strong even a player short. Hoi's team pulled off a magnificent launch from the doors to the Sam building, Hoi landing with 100hp. He ran to the window but failed a full hj, and was forced to alt his way up. XB was waiting for him and blue began to push methodically, still playing 4v5.

This is not quite true, however, because at the Sam XB was playing alone. His team were in position but every other one of them was getting owned by blues. Time and again XB saved on the button, with a pile of red and blue bodies all around him. He couldn't hold it forever though and ban and Spoq appeared over three minutes after the Scud had gone to take it. The rest of the map went pretty fast on the blue attack but they had lost a lot of time because of YMD's absence. XB was eventually told just after Sam and he sat accordingly, but the rest of his team managed to hold the 4 blues until Hoi finally brought the misery to an end.

Red attacked with XB sitting again, but luck kicked in and blue started falling quickly, including Sphere with full belt getting dropped by one flak ball for NoMercy to grab the Scud. Next yako came high past Sphere to take the Samsite, after od had done some incredibly daft stuff in front of him :rofl: I thought the idea of hammering into the window was to hammer into the window? :impact: YMD began trying to join but he was having issues and kept getting kicked; meanwhile Lucy took Underground and NoMercy had the Final by the 2:15 mark.

SCORE: 2 - 1

-=-=-

MAP 4 - GOLGOTHAAL

MAP REPORT:

What is it about 5v5 that puts people off trying a Golg backlaunch? XB skipped it anyway, same as everyone else, and red pushed forward, eventually breaking through a wall of sniper fire from Hoi's team (YMD had managed to join and stay). Od took the Temple and yako got a great attack spree to run straight through to the Undead on 11:07 - bad def bl00! Team.Hoi then suffer their worst moment of the match as yako runs up the stairs to the top, sneaks quietly on tiptoe behind Hoi who is busy sniping from the Bridge, and just grabs Hurons on 10:22, easy as you like. Horrible comms and lack of awareness from the blues and everyone is culpable. From there it was a steady push to the end, with blue scrambling around in no clear order. NoMercy finished it off on 8:34.

Blue push forward just as well as red did, and upon reaching Undead they try something clever: Sphere reaches Undead but instead of claiming it he sets up a hammer over the obj for the following YMD. Sphere gets taken down by Lucy who then warns od on the cliff that there may be one coming up the stairs. Sure enough, od takes YMD down as Undead gets taken by Spoq. Good comms reds :mic: YMD gets some of his luck back when he runs into the Hurons room and gets launched beautifully across the ceiling and onto the objective, courtesy of the red captain. There's only 1:30 remaining though, and Hoi's team can't make it to the Dungeons.

SCORE: 3 - 1

-=-=-

continued...

Last edited:
MAP 5 - BALLISTIC

MAP REPORT:

Blue don't get off to a good start on def here, what with allowing XB's team to pick up the armour whenever they like and watching swarms of reds reach the Genny health packs with no problem. This matters little, however, since the unmarked yako is allowed to grab the rockets and take the Genny down from far away on just 8:57. Comms, blue? :confused: Team.Hoi hang back well at the Warhead and YMD and Sphere in particular are starting to rack up the points. Just when they get a bit of confidence od comes from low and grabs it with an outrageous side dodge- maybe the longest dodge you'll ever see - from the corner wall (no armour), leaving Sphere open-mouthed at the luck, especially since he'd just sent a bunch of cluster rox at the red player. The blues manage to hold the Final for another one and a half minutes, but XB grabs the armour and takes advantage of their refusal to push on 4:34.

Blue tried for the nest on their attack and Spoq even managed to get in, but red were quick and he was killed off in the low tunnel. The red Gen def was otherwise OK, with NoMercy and Lucy at the back, yako covering the nest and the other two pushing. YMD got through on 2:44 to open up the Warhead, but blue were to get no more objectives in this map, with the red def, all far back, just too strong and organised.

SCORE: 4 - 1

-=-=-

MAP 6 - GOLGOTHA][AL

MAP REPORT:

It's best of 9 and XB has just one more map to get to claim the first leg. Can the blues pull off a second reverse in this match? Well...

With his team now taking the piss, XB pushes forward for the Top Entrance button, then goes high on his second run to nip in the top route and grab the Gates while Spoq is looking the other way. They then try to set up a series of launches, all of which are covered by the hard working Sphere. What the blue team forget to do, however, is simply defend the stairs, which lets NoMercy just run up them and take the Lifts on 7:55. Once again XB seems to have more than five players in the server :hm: XB then pulls off a brilliant solo move to nowhere - taking Lenneth's low rox launch he flies way up in the air, soars totally over the Temple bridge and blows himself up. Inspiring stuff. XB then helps yako to claim the Temple on 6:23 and the Cross only lasts another 33 seconds until it falls to the captain.

5:50 is, or should be, very doable for a team like the blues, so it was interesting to see which launch would win them the Temple while XB's team were sleeping. They got Gates surprisingly quickly given the shape of XB's defence - at one point I could have sworn red had 3 up front and 3 at the Gates, dunno how they do it - but go the Gates did. This was the crucial stage of the map and red won it well by covering all the launches capably while od got in some worthy fragging at the stairs. Hoi's team tried various launches but even simple hammers were failing, and the blues could not reach the Lifts.

SCORE: 5 - 1

-=-=-

Thanks to all involved, gg! Demos and screens up soon!

Last edited:
I stopped reading at the potato waffle part because its bed time for me, but :thumb: and :lol: so far! :D

nice match report again useless keep up the good work i enjoy reading these with some soothing music in the backround :)

and my comment on the match seeing as i specced in utv it just shows that good teamplay does wonders!

Ye UTV must have been a laugh :P Apparently I was the only one who missed XB's legend failage at Golg2 Temple, but I caught up eventually :coolfip:

Demos and screens link added to the report thread. Job done in only five hours...

Another nice one!

us poor speccers (gj d1sc) were in agreement that Hoi's team looked by far the stronger, more confident and better prepared, until we realised that this was because none of the reds had managed to join.
:lol:

Spoq did manage to launch his captain to Explosive 1, only for Hoi to twat himself in the face with his own r/l, under no pressure, one inch from the obj.

Best scene of the match :thumb:

You see a rocket hitting under his feet in the first pic just when started to sidedodge, but still wtf idd :lol:

Apparently I was the only one who missed XB's legend failage at Golg2 Temple

Second best scene. He said he was so busy shooting that he forgot aircontrol so :)

gg nice report again :D couldnt read all till now but will go on later

to hois team at GolgothaAL: cough cough cough Meteor warned us using any of the map bugs . . .

:D

Man the rocket at bridge i didnt see cuz i was zoomed in trying to kill 3 of the potters at back :<

As for warloader. Weeeeeeeeeeee :flyer:

thnx useless & disc for coverage :r

gg nice report, very interesting to read when you played in the match - Some stuff i wasn't quite sure what happened so its good to learn about them afterwards. Like Yako getting hurons path like that..hoi killing himself!.. match was pretty much a blurr to me cause so much confusion at the start followed by having to captain. My team did perform really well and as a team, which i wasnt sure would happen, people might not have noticed but Yako was a big bonus!

I think with 5v5 it will come to down moving your players around a lot more on defence to cover holes when people die.... rather then playing with a static defence which you get with 6v6.

As for my air control flying over temple, if it had been someone else....I would have flamed them quite hardcore:P this ocassion i let myself off as i was just playing in a "blurr" and didnt know what i was doing.

We will be ready for match 2...I have a sneaky suspicion that we will have to work hard to gain the 2 maps we need.

Last edited:
My POV

Nice report useless :)

I'm going to quickly go over the maps from my pov and try to suggest where we went wrong. Mostly to explain why I was a bit peeved (and a bit of an ass) after the match. I hope you don't mind me doing this useless!

If you cba to read, look for some screenies and a few frapped vids for funny/key moments below (sorry for the darkness in screenshots. I tried using shot instead of sshot and it didn't make a difference).

Siege -

We attacked first after waiting 45 minutes for server to be set, and for xb to fix his ut problems. Unfortunately after 45 minutes of sitting around we were no longer warmed up and became 'cold' and lethargic. For the first 3-4 minutes of our attack we didn't do anything together. We just fought the outside defence, did the odd launch; while 1 or 2 pushed low. After a few minutes though, hoi managed to get all us into the tower at the same time, and on our first attempt at pushing as a team we completed the map.

On our defence however xb managed to get his team pushing low much quicker, and after their second or third attempt, our inside tower defender died. I came down to help and got killed by a spammed combo straight away. This left 4 team xb's inside the tower controlling it, with me trying in vein to get a high spawn. They then rushed the roof and quickly over-powered the 2 defenders up there.

We just didn't frag them on our defence enough and team xb deservidly took a 1-0 lead.

Me getting spam combo'ed on siege defence - screenshot

--

Bridge -

We defended first. They didn't get any launches up first or second run, and things went OK for the first couple of minutes. After a while they pushed low with 3 or 4 players, including a sb. I heard this on ts, came to help second, and we cleared the area. However after this is where things started to go bad for us. They got a double tree launch up without much, or no? warning (I can't remember). He went into our base and got our sb, and came through our bridge teleport at final assault. We saw him in our base however and had 2 defenders on the bridge waiting for him, and killed him quite easily. It seems though that while we were fighting the guy with sb, team.xb were grouping up at second as we weren't sniping them from the bridge, and 10-15 seconds after the sb guy died, second went without so much as a peep from ts. Bad comms from low, nice attack by team.xb. After this all the objectives fell fairly quickly (not helped by KJ staying outside with me after second despite being told not to) and det went after some saves.

Pott-tastic -

Our attack went so-so. There were no hammer launches set at the start, so I got armour and hammered into second. Lenneth made a nice combo save on me just before I was about to dodge around the corner to second. Not much time later hoi got second (I don't know how), and *most* of us went outside to launch. They had 2 outside however, with another on the bridge, and were defending it well. After a minute+ of nearly getting a launch off, I finally got launched successfully, only to be sniped out of the air by od. After this I took the sb, went outside to get launched, but they had it covered and it seemed half my team had started pushing low. I took boots, went low with them and got final assault without much trouble. With time running out, we got explosives, and I hammered to the Detonator with about 30 seconds left.

Jumping with boots to final assault - screenshot

Hammer to det - screenshot

Things went our way this map, although our team play still was a bit iffy.

1-1.

--

Desertstorm

After winning the last map, I felt strongly that we had a bit more momentum going for us. Sadly though, as Useless said, we was a man down since the map started and attacked 4v5 for over 3 and a half minutes. I cannot really blame team.xb for this, as it wasn't their problem, and xb did sit once he noticed. Despite us attacking with 4, on the first run I actually got very, very close. I killed 2 in the room, but the last guy killed me ON the switch. I swear that on the demo it looks like it should of triggered. But it didn't, and it took another couple of minutes for us to get samsite.

Our defence didn't go much better either. We were playing 4v4 with one of team.xb sitting, something we hadn't planned for tactically. At the start I supposed to get the sb and camp the button with rockets. However before the bunker had even been taken, both rocket packs had gone, leaving me on switch with 6 rockets not being able to spam. This was another example of sub-standard team-play. They then came up both sides at the same time, I took a flak to the face, and scud went. Even though there was a lot of time remaining at this point, I felt we still had a shot at getting a good defence going. Of course though, on their first run, od happened. He came through an undefended spawn (undefended as it was 4v4), headshotted the high defender, and survived a direct rocket to the ankles. Seeing how close he was to the samsite, I shot a rocket between him and the switch, but od unexpectedly didn't move forward, and my rocket weirdly killed me and did no damage to him. A team mate killed od, but with the samsite no longer defended, someone walked in low without a shot fired and took it. Around this time I believe YMD came in, and we held the end for a while, but it still went with a couple minutes left on the clock.

Die od!!! :( -

After the last objective was taken, I think everyone on team.hoi were feeling disheartened and disappointed at losing this map due to attacking 4v5 for so long. Based on how we defended the next map, I don't think we got our heads back into the match too quickly.

2-1.

--

GolgothaAL

We held the first objective for a little while. After it went, the temple doors went immediately afterwards, but we temporarily held undead. They tried a flower launch with 2 setters and 1-2 covering/waiting to take, but I stopped it. Just as I killed the last setter, they got undead. They didn't go outside, but pushed low and did a bottom of tower launch, which didn't work as the guy flew over the bridge. They then went outside. Our outside defender killed a couple. There were still 2 or 3 outside, so I was there helping him. As I was room defence, I was looking for suicides from team.xb, or my team mates dying. If I saw either, I was planning to go back to the room. That was the plan anyway, but *somehow* 1 person managed to sneak past 3 people defending low and walked to path presumably without a shot fired. I'm still not sure how this happened. Maybe he triggered the switch on the steps and stayed up top? Whatever the reason, the most important objective went in a ridiculous way (again). It wouldn't be the last time that would happen either. All the objectives fell quickly after that, with someone walking through my bio at dungeon doors.

Hurons Path breached - screenshot

On our attack, we gave it a good attempt. Undead went very quickly. As Useless said in his report, I launched YMD over the undead objective before it was taken. I'm not sure if this is considered bug abuse or not, but it has happened against me in so many pugs recently that I just didn't think twice about doing it. It didn't matter in the end anyway, because YMD simply didn't know what was happening, and stayed at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me to join him (lol?). For the hurons path, we didn't launch outside, and wasn't really getting anywhere fast . In then end, me and YMD pushed low and got to the bridge. As he entered the room, I was spamming flak bombs. One of which hit YMD in the back and launched him into the top left corner of the room, and he walked across the objective trigger. There was about 1:25 remaining at this point. We got a launch off at the box, and took the siege objective quickly. Sadly though, their spam at the dungeon door was too much for us, and none us could get past it as easily as they got past our spam on team.hoi's defence. Apparently we touched the switch, or evidently almost touched it, but it didn't trigger (again).

A mixture of bad luck and an inexplicable hurons path was our downfall here. These things happen though in UT assault, and we still had maps left to play.

3-1.

--

Ballistic

It started off per the usual, they set a double start launch, moved to hill, etc. Once the main gate went, I was defending rocket shot. 3 or 4 attackers were going to the Generator via the vials route, so I briefly moved over to outside the gen for a few seconds to help out, and they got taken down. This was not good timing for me however, because just as I was heading back to my position, 6 clustered rockets whizzed by my head and the gen went. Our warhead defence was decent, even though our window defender forgot where he was supposed to be, and had to be told on ts to go there a minute or so in. There were a couple of close calls, but me and the other back defender were getting good incomings, were covering each others positions when needed, and we finally managed to get a solid defence with good team play going. It didn't last much longer though, as alas, od happened². He came up the last ramp, ran up to the top right corner, I shot a rocket at his shins, and he flew straight from there to Warhead, barely touching the ground first. For the 3rd map in a row, the main objective goes in a stupid manner. From what od said after the map, he had no armour, and barely lost any health. After that *headdesk* moment, we defended the final objective for over a minute, with them pushing through the ops room hard, but in the end someone walked in low past the combos and dodged to the final objective.

:whatever: -

Our attack was fairly poor throughout. The start launch failed to get the main gate, which took about a minute to get. We tried a flak launch, but the launcher got killed a split second before I connected with his hammer. A short while later someone got into the nest and ran around inside the base for a while, which messed up their defence. After he died, the Generator went not long after. We had about 3 minutes left at this point, but we didn't have any sort of plan on how to attack. As it was 5v5, I (and probably my team) managed to get deep into their defense most runs, but without any team.hois backing each other up, there was not much chance of me, or anyone else, getting near the switch. So the time ticked away, we didn't get any lucky breaks at warhead, and another map went to team.xb.

Personally, I think we were pretty even on the whole during this map, and that 1 bizarre moment at warhead swung it in team.xb's favour

4-1.
--

Gogotha][AL

Our defending went as well as to be expected this map. We held the gates for over a minute, the lifts went quicker, but not straight away. There was a scary moment when they covered nicely and launched on the roof before lifts, but thankfully the launchie didn't make it to temple. The Temple was held a good amount of time after they took lifts, so was The Holy Cross.

od DENIED. Finally I am able to kill him at an objective! - screenshot

With 4 minutes to attack, I thought at the beginning of the map that our chances were very good. Our attack started off promisingly, with us taking gates in half the time that team.xb did. We got the sword straight away, and went about pushing low and launching. We tried several different launches, in several different places, but each time we got snipped in mid-rocket load. After a while we decided to try a roof launch. Oddly though, when I hammered up I found 2 defenders on the spawn roofing, despite us not trying a launch there yet. So me and spoq quickly realised that the gate launch had no cover, and we could do it with relative impunity. I do not remember ever seeing a temple defender looking over, so I believed that it was likely we could win if we got a launch off. We tried it once, but it failed. It doesn't work 100% of the time, so we re-tried it. It failed again, and when we re-spawned, lifts went. When we have practiced it, I don't ever remember it failing 3 times in a row, so we tried again with about 40 seconds left. With shocking bad luck, it failed for a 3rd time. We then attacked temple with the rest of team.hoi with about 35 seconds left, got close, but didn't breach the temple.

Launch failure x3 :( -

5-1

And that was the end of our first cup match. After 2 weeks of excited anticipation, it was not the cup match I had envisioned. By the end of it I felt incredibly deflated, jaded, and was a also a bit annoyed. In retrospect, it wasn't *that* bad, or as big a deal, and I was being a tad emo after the match ;D. I think on the day team.xb were the slightly better team, and although the scoreline was harsh, the right team won.

Last edited: