spyware/virus etc

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

lamina

Oct 6, 2002
denmark
hi

i dont know anything about irc xept how to logon.

but i have a problem i think

when at home i almost only use internet for irc and still
i find billions of spyware and virus on my computer almost every single day

it kinda pisses me off...

can i get that crap via irc?

if yes how do i prevent it?

cheerio

lamz

No, you cant get spyware/viruses from IRC, unless you someone actually send them to you (DCC) and you choose to accept the file AND execute it. The biggest usual source of all the junk is Microsofts lovely Internet Explorer browser... Try Firefox ;)

[edit] Well saying you cant get spyware/viruses from IRC is no entirely true. It is possible to run a few exploits on older versions of mIRC, and then theres the usual mIRC worms that attempts to trick users into writing a command that will generate a script for mIRC which will then try the same against the users of the channels you are in. Best way to protect you from all this would be to never run commands (everything that starts with a /) that you dont know what does, and keep the mIRC version up to date, or use another IRC client[/edit]

Last edited:
Reactions: lamina
Help --> About mIRC perhaps?

newest is 6.16

Anyways, to help you get rid of spyware/adware: Spybot: Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware are nice proggies. I'd also recommend HiJackThis! and CWS Shredder

JavaCool Software also have nifty anti-spyware/adware proggies like SpywareBlaster and other stuff

If you want I can also give you pm with a nice anti-virus proggie, better than NAV and it doesn't need/take much memory when scanning/etc checks email too :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: lamina
positive.
bf wouldnt care to use it

yesterday i wasnt on irc..no spyware
day b4 i was..10 new spyware

:confused: