Speed Run Revived

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I really like speedruns but I'd love to see a Tool-Assisted Speedrun (TAS) on AS maps :X
edit: well I'd love to DO them even :P but afaik it's impossible

btw should people play normal or leagueAS?

Last edited:
Indeed; if you're doing this offline there should be some basic rules around the speedruns to ensure everyone is playing with an agreed configuration.

i.e. LeagueAS would need to be fully installed to ensure bugs are not present within maps which could lead to invalid times.

Gravity and gamespeed will need to be standardised etc.

It's a bit too easy to cheat at these.
Take Torp's example of Bridge above. Going by his score I assume all he got was the 4 explosives and the final? We assume therefore he used the boots to get himself up. But it would be too easy for someone to help him up and leave the server.
(no, I'm not accusing Torp of cheating)

As Timo said, some rules need to be agreed...including providing a demo.

How can you prove that practice mode is turned off?

Online it's impossible. What happens when you don't get the perfect spawn first time? Offline you can just d/c + r/c, but online you're fucked. Unless you feel like restarting the map with the admin control which you prolly don't have.

It has to be offline and people just have to trust that the times are possible with default LAS settings. Air control etc are standard, no mutators running, etc :\ I dunno how else to do it, especially since LAS crashes my demorec offline but online it's fine :confused: Only proof that can be provided is a written description of exactly what was done and how, then other ppl can go in, play to those instructions and see that yes, it could be possible with perfect dodging, timing, weapon choice at shootable objs, and so on. I dunno how Torp got 0:27 on Siege but I know he didn't cheat, cos I know I can only get 0:30 with imperfect dodging and timing. Likewise with weezy's Dungeons. Even now Torp is locked in his room, hammering frustratedly at a keyboard, trying fruitlessly to beat my Overlord record, the sadcase.

Plus wtf is the point of cheating at this? If I cheat and post a time of 43 seconds in Bridge I have to be able to explain reasonably how I got it, and I wouldn't be able to because that's not a possible solo offline time. So I'd be rumbled and all my recs would be inavlid. Plus it's not important enough to cheat at really, especially since Konnan already owned us all a couple of years ago :cry:

Incidentally Torp, I'm going to beat that Bridge time tonight if I have to feed uZi's mum into a mincing machine to do it :devil: Mb that would work for all maps actually... Oh and RiverAL shalt be mine too.

Btw everyone, Torp is cheating like a fanny by checking Konnan's youtube vids for tips and then stealing them. Let the word go out.

Indeed; if you're doing this offline there should be some basic rules around the speedruns to ensure everyone is playing with an agreed configuration.

i.e. LeagueAS would need to be fully installed to ensure bugs are not present within maps which could lead to invalid times.

Gravity and gamespeed will need to be standardised etc.

Gamespeed doesn't really matter here, since it's fixed to within the game anyway. Not much point in changing gamespeed if the clock adjusts itself accordingly. Unless you mean that slowing it down makes it easier to get your timing right, or something? And bug abuse would be pretty obvious to spot, and tbh I can only think of one map where it would apply - AutoRIP where sometimes the Test Room barriers stay down offline (like 1 out of every 100 times). And that isn't really abuse because the player wouldn't have had an active part in causing the bug to occur.

That's not the gamespeed I was thinking of Useless; there is another factor which affects the rate on the clock while not affecting the overall speed of the player.

i.e. a 6 minute game in UT is not 6 minutes in Real World time.

We spotted the timing flaw when making a record zone in UT Stats which by default will go by real world time rather than in-game time.

especially since LAS crashes my demorec offline but online it's fine :confused:
As I said - you need to install LeagueAS not only to ensure all the game fixes are running, but also to stop any problems like this.

Only proof that can be provided is a written description of exactly what was done and how, then other ppl can go in, play to those instructions and see that yes, it could be possible with perfect dodging, timing, weapon choice at shootable objs, and so on.
Akin to the challenge threads, right?

Last edited:
I still think demo's should be used always..... not necessarily as proof, but to show(demonstrate!) and entertain others

I'm gonna try (and fail most likely) some runs tonight :P

how hard would it be to add a flag in spawn, and a flag at detonator for as-bridge, then load the map as bt-bridge :D

1 problem i think is the bt mutator is insta only... but if you could sort that out then have ra-server be the official place to do record tracking...

All are valid comments, however I only intended this as a bit of a fun with low maintenance.

As mentioned with doing it online, server would have to be reset everytime a new run is performed which will be an utter arse pain.

The reason I kept rules at a very basic was to attract more people. Rules (although extremely helpful and required) scare people away. Demoing every run you do, uploading it and having people watch and verify this way is a long and arduous task and quite frankly will put people off. Simple screenshots keep it easy and simple.

Like Useless said, if people want to cheat then they are pathetic in an old game in a non-serious environment in a competition that has no outcomes. Saying that I am sure it's crossed some peoples minds. Anyway, if Konnan's records are ever beaten I can always cross check and determine that way. It will be pretty obvious if a record is cheated.

The real reason behind this (believe it or not) isn't to show off ego's and whatnot. I aren't reccing any maps that are vacant. The REAL reason is to introduce the newer/unknown maps into a competition where people might get to know the map better in a situation where they need to improve their times. It might work, it might not but I think it's worth a try,

@Timo: I like the idea of setting up a general system. It puts my times into doubt though now as I just select practice mode and go. AFAIK I play on LAS though and surely anyone in the league who plays pugs/pubs has it also?

Great idea torp :thumb:
I'll certainly try to beat some records but dunno if i will be any good :P

ps. whoever cheats at this is the biggest gayfag alive

@Aphex - Doesn't matter if you are good or not, you might find a new trick out of it so it's worth it. Don't forget, half the maps there is no record so you can submit some now! Also newer maps are up for grabs and a chance to get to know them!

@Deadboy - Dunno then but I don't think it matters too much, if everyone just uses basic practice mode. It is only fun after all, any bug abuse will be obvious anyway.

new bridge rec, got demo if anyone wants me to upload

Attachments

• bridgerec.JPG
    bridgerec.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 245
I'd like too see that demo :D

Snowdunes, no current record so I'll post this, done Offline, LA140, no cheats. Sorry, demorec wasnt recording offline games :(

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 237