Spanish broadband/mobile broadband

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
I think we still have a few spanish players among us?

I'm wondering if anyone could help me, I'm looking for a way for a friend of mine to get internet access in Spain, using either a broadband service or 3G mobile USB stick.

Could anyone help?
Does Spain have a 3G mobile network?
What's the coverage like... is it only available (if at all) in the cities or is it feasible to think it would work in Murcia?
Which ISPs are available in Spain
How much do they cost per month?
Who is the cheapest?
Who is the best?
Whats the minimum contract?

And if any British people are reading this I'd be interested to know if its possible to use 3G mobile sticks abroad without being raped for roaming data charges.

Thanks!

I made a thread a couple of months ago about my Orange mobile broadband. I did not have too many good words for it, but I must say that it has been improving on quality on the last few weeks.

Earlier, the quality problems were unbearable.

I wouldn't try too much of gaming with this where latency is very relevant. Kinda affordable (less than 20€ / month), the bw is "ok" for normal use when it works. Haven't tried outside town, so can't really say a thing about the service coverage on the rural areas, I guess it pretty quickly degrades from "3G" to "G" atleast outside of suburbs.

The deals for these things are made for 6-12 month period(!), that is ofcourse important thing to concider - how long is your friend staying for? On the other hand, some tourist offices are renting connected 3G modems for shorter periods of time.

Usually, from my location, the antennae detects 5-6 different networks, like Orange ES, Movistar, Yoigo and some others.

Hope this gives some perpective.

edit: typos + I'm no spanish player but hangin' around here :D

Last edited:
My friend isn't a gamer, I should've made that clear at the start tbh.

He owns a holiday home in Spain (Murcia) and so frequently goes there for a week or 2 at a time. They only want to do some basic surfing on their laptop, book flights, use Facebook etc. when in Spain. The most demanding application would potentially be making Skype calls - but that would be an added benefit if its capable of it.

Do you know how much a land line and cheap broadband internet is? And what the state of Spanish broadband is like? He did some investigations himself but was told that Spain doesn't have much broadband coverage - so are the only other options 56k dialup?

I didn't realise Orange operated in Spain!

Many thanks for your input Turha, appreciated.

Well spain has improved a lot in broadband. In a couple of years every isp has increased their speed.
I only know perfectly the isp what i use, its called ono and its cable based.
The rest of isps use adsl system and they use telefonica lines except i think yazztel. Most of friends that use adsl are with jazztel and they are "happy" (u know ull always hear shits about every isp), it seems to be faster than orange, ya.com or telefonica.
The problem is for example for me in my region the best without any doubt is ono, its a bit more expensive but the connection is waaaay better, but in other regions ono isnt that good. Its a bit complicated why its that but sometimes it happens in this case.
The others adsl isps, well i would go for jazztel. And i wouldnt go for telefonica.
And about usb modems i havent tryed any but i know vodafone, orange and movistar have them.