slow to connect

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Danus

cinnix
Aug 22, 2002
Cardiff::Wales::UK
[17:40:34] * Connecting to irc.utassault.net (6667)
[17:40:35] -london.uk.eu.worldassault.com- *** Looking up your hostname...
[17:40:35] -london.uk.eu.worldassault.com- *** Found your hostname (cached)
[17:40:35] -london.uk.eu.worldassault.com- *** Checking ident...

that is all i can see for probably over a minute, before the rest of the text shows up and i connect to the server. why is it taking so much longer than it used to? before i reformatted it was real quick but i guess theres something up with my setup now which makes it slow down. does anyone know what it is?

nope it aint the firewall, disabling it does not make no difference. my computer is connected directly to a usb modem i dont use routers. btw aint aint just uta, but quakenet and others too. thx neways proto :)

its been mentioned here before, the server is trying to get a response on tcp port 113, but your router drops it, thus you have to wait for the time out to be able to connect...

possible solutions:

1. wait
2. set up your router / firewall to REJECT instead of DROP on port 113

true but sure u turned off the windowsxp internet connection firewall?
on fresh installs windowsxp turns it on by default

Also, in mIRC options > connect tick Enable Identd server so that the IRC server does't have to timeout and delay when connecting.

However, enabling ident server is only usefull if you forward/accept port 113 instead of rejecting it

Only reason I know is that its part of the official IRC RFC, so it has to be in there :P