Setting Up Wireless Network..

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-Starlight-

Boom...
Sep 22, 2001
Brum.
Hi Guys,

Ive setup another computer upstairs, and have my main connection downstairs. Running a wireless router downstairs and wireless adapter upstairs.

The internet works great, and pings fine too, from upstairs!

Although i have been trying to share the files on the network, and not having very much luck. I have followed the windows instructions too. I have shared both local drives on the network, although my pc upstairs wont show the drives from the pc downstairs.
Whereas my pc downstairs WILL show the upstairs drive lol.

Ive checked Computer Management (local) and think i know the problem, but cant seem to resolve it. It shows my shared folders and shows C, and the one below shows C$ which means its hidden from users on the network.
Although cant seem to delete this key, or edit it.

Anyone know the fix for it? Or even know another program/setup that actully works!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help :D

Try

Double click My Computer and go to Tools/Map Network Drive.

Choose an available drive letter and type the path for your hidden folder (with the dollar sign included).

Put a checkmark next to Reconnect at Logon, which will automatically map your hidden share every time you boot up

Click Finish

If you choose not to reconnect at logon, you will have to manually re-map your share after every reboot.

if not locate

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]

if its like this

"Autosharewks"=dword:00000000

change to

"Autosharewks"=dword:00000001

if not there save txt below and rename txt file to insertname.reg double click it say yes and its done

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]

"Autosharewks"=dword:00000001

this renables admin sharing if its disabled

The C$ is hidden as its an admin share but this wont effect any sub folders that are shared. Id be surprised if you arent getting any error messages when trying to browse the network shares, common if user accounts on 1 PC dont have passwords or some settings are wrong.
If the problem is purely that you want the share C$ to appear then either map the drive like DB says or turn off simple file sharing and unshare then reshare drive C (changing folder name), this moves it from hidden admin status to a normal shared folder.

Yeh MYM i think my settings are fucked up :D

Still wont work, and its obviously the settings on the downstairs PC for sharing a folder. As the upstairs is viewable on the downstairs comp.
If i share any folder, it still wont show up on the network.

Anything else i can mess about with? I tried using the wireless network setup on the flash drive. Tho everytime it trys to install settings i get something like 'Nework cannot be setup'.

Apologies for being low IQ on this subject, this is the first network ive 'tried' to setup :)

Thanks for your help so far :D

I've never used the network setup wizard myself ive always done it manually.

Id just check manually that your IP settings are all correct (ipconfig /all in cmd prompt and checking tcp/ip properties), IP/subnet/gateway/DNS (IP and subnet are most critical here for lan), that your workgroup is exactly the same on both pcs (control panel/system/network identification).

Id also enter a password on ur logged in account on each pc and/or check local security policies, control panel/administrative tools/local security settings. local policies/security options/accounts: limit use or blank passwords to console only = disabled. then reboot

See if any of that helps to start with.

k i just had same problem on a pc

couldnt browse the network at all from 1 pc as same disk installed both i figgured it was registry based

ran a little utility called WinsockxpFix.exe

which resets all to default values and registers req bits

reebooted and fixed :)

hope this fixes yours

ill be keeping this on my usbstick from now on

Attachments

• WinsockxpFix.zip
    683.6 KB · Views: 33