Respawn time

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Muffy

Dec 8, 2003
notts-england
OK i just checked out the polls on re spawning and 0 secs :eek: have these ppl actually pld AS2k4 style?( Yes i know some of u have..lol ) Plz if u played AS2k4 it ISNT AS n the spawn time is there for a reason im not saying 7 secs,but imo 5 secs b ample but 0 secs u have a proper spam mess :( Just a thought thats all

70% of folk voting aint even got 2k4 installed by looks of polls but this was surely gonna be the case.Ladder should be opened with basics and only thing that needs sorted out is amount plyrs,manymaps per team,map times,match times and penaltys for ladder/related stuff ie not turning up for match etc.Imo why change spawn clock when its there for a reason and that be to balance AS on 2k4 out and makes the mode playable .
:hm: :sofa:

Then if found to be needing changed then clans in league can vote and not every tom,dick and harry ;)

Yeah indeed, people who often play 2k4 AS prolly know that a 0 secs re-spawn will result in massive spam. It kinda pissed me off at start to wait 5 secs orso to re-spawn, but i see now that it is a good thing. In my humble opinion this should not be changed, just let it be the way it is. :nod:

I think that the people who voted for 0 secs are those who cant live with the fact that 2k4 AS is just WAY different then the old AS, or maybe dont even have ut2k4 yet. :nono:

Like Tzu said, just change this part only if it is somehow needed in the future when the league is running, and imo a good idea to let clans vote, in stead of just everybody, cos it gives VERY wrong results if everybody just votes. :shout:

;)

wrong? because they are different from what you want?

and how can you tell from the "looks" of the poll that most ppl dont have 2004 installed? maybe they prefer spammier maps where to get an objective you have to earn it instead of relying on a spawn timer and luck.

I for one am pleased that the polls are reflecting something that is different from the standard CB rules. In some ppls opinions these are the "best" ones but i have just one thing to say to that ... if they are so good then why does the CB assault league only have 16 semi-active clans? Does that not tell you that there is something seriously wrong with the way the whole gametype is set up in UT2004?

Im not suggesting things should be changed, I would just like to see ppl thinking outside of thier own stubborn opinions based on the whole "spam is bad" argument. All you have to do is look at desolate to see how flawed that argument is when assault is being considered. Assault is objective based and therefore there will ALWAYS be spam, despite what you try and do.

Joko said:
wrong? because they are different from what you want?

and how can you tell from the "looks" of the poll that most ppl dont have 2004 installed? maybe they prefer spammier maps where to get an objective you have to earn it instead of relying on a spawn timer and luck.

I for one am pleased that the polls are reflecting something that is different from the standard CB rules. In some ppls opinions these are the "best" ones but i have just one thing to say to that ... if they are so good then why does the CB assault league only have 16 semi-active clans? Does that not tell you that there is something seriously wrong with the way the whole gametype is set up in UT2004?

Im not suggesting things should be changed, I would just like to see ppl thinking outside of thier own stubborn opinions based on the whole "spam is bad" argument. All you have to do is look at desolate to see how flawed that argument is when assault is being considered. Assault is objective based and therefore there will ALWAYS be spam, despite what you try and do.
(1)Where in these posts was Clanbase mentioned ?(and on subject it doesnt tell me that because of clanbase having 16 semi-active clans that ut2k4AS gametype has something seriously wrong with it,As clanbase has always been shit for AS they had next too none ut99AS clans does that therefore mean that ut99AS gameplay had something seriously wrong with it ?)
(2)If you have played 2k4AS and have half a brain, then obviously youd not have voted for 0 spawn time ,as that would be so stupid(which in turn makes me thinks anybody and everybody is voting just for the sake of a poll being there)
(3)Common Sense tells 1 that if done by clan vote once basic league is up and running then youd get a true result from a poll.
(4)You cant compare Desolate or any other map in UT99 with 2k4 when Assault is being considered as for 2 seperate games and 2 different styles of play if you hadnt noticed.
(5)And i wouldnt say its stubborn opinion,id say its a very common sense approach which is being mentioned in this thread,and its stubborn folk who want changes b4 a basic league has even been tried.(meaning they want an updated ut99 which will never be done)

Last edited:
who cares, it takes my ageing heap of circuitry 3 minutes just to load an assault map, so a few seconds to spawn doesn't bother me :rofl:

Tzu said:
(1)Where in these posts was Clanbase mentioned ?(and on subject it doesnt tell me that because of clanbase having 16 semi-active clans that ut2k4AS gametype has something seriously wrong with it,As clanbase has always been shit for AS they had next too none ut99AS clans does that therefore mean that ut99AS gameplay had something seriously wrong with it ?)
(2)If you have played 2k4AS and have half a brain, then obviously youd not have voted for 0 spawn time ,as that would be so stupid(which in turn makes me thinks anybody and everybody is voting just for the sake of a poll being there)
(3)Common Sense tells 1 that if done by clan vote once basic league is up and running then youd get a true result from a poll.
(4)You cant compare Desolate or any other map in UT99 with 2k4 when Assault is being considered as for 2 seperate games and 2 different styles of play if you hadnt noticed.
(5)And i wouldnt say its stubborn opinion,id say its a very common sense approach which is being mentioned in this thread,and its stubborn folk who want changes b4 a basic league has even been tried.(meaning they want an updated ut99 which will never be done)

As you like numbering your points of view I will adopt the same format to make it easier for you.

1. The new league setup is constantly being compared with clanbase for both ONS and AS, i've seen several people mentioning it as a point of reference, either in a positive or negative manner. Im not going to waste time finding these posts for you, but if you read all the threads they are there. Clanbase assault and utassault.net assault were (are) VERY different games.

2. I'm not going to respond to that because i'll probably offend you and get myself a ban.

3. Mathematically having only clan leaders voting introduces a larger statisical error. It is also misrepresentative of the community as the clan leaders have no obligation to take into the account the opinions of their clan and can simply vote for what they feel is the best option.

4. You fail to miss the point of me quoting desolate. Correct me if i am wrong but in your opinion there should be a timer to reduce the amount of spam? desolate tried to reduce the amount of spam using weapon placement / distances of spawns etc. Although they are two different games the overall goal of the assault gametype is to conquer objectives and have a team defend them. Therefore, the point i was trying to make (i even used capital letters) was that you can never get rid of spam in assault no matter how much you try to hinder the attacking or defending team.

5. I dont understand your reasoning here. If you take your post litereally then you do not wish to have any polls before the league is set up you think you should run it "from the box" and see how it does? I also fail to see how it makes someone stubborn to "want changes before a basic league has been tried". Finally, if that stubborn person did want changes (as you say) then how would that suggest they want an "updated UT99"? :confused:

I can understand why you seem to be angry because spawn timers are getting voted out when you clearly want them in. However, if you calm down a bit and let the "stupid" people see how much of a "mistake" we are making by not wanting spawn timers - which we are assured are the savours of UT2004 AS - then I'm sure things can be changed later. Surely the point of these polls is to see what people want just now, then to try that out, and if any changes are required then by god make them.

Calling people stupid, suggesting they have no common sense and implying that they have not even tried playing UT2004 are some pretty wild accusations and i would love to see any evidence you have to support your claims.

Last edited:
The 7 second respawn was put in the game for a reason. It should not be taken away completly, maybe adjustments of a second or two, but 0 spawn time is just the most stupid thing i have read on these forums for a long time. As said in previous posts people haven't even played Assault for a long enough time to see how important the spawn times are. If 0 second spawn times were to be introduced then there would have to be a decrease in the number of players in clan matches, too around 5 more than likely. Me votes leave it :x

42.37% for 0 seconds....... play Assault on 2k4 for a week and you'll change your minds, unless you like being held at the first objective of each map :)

the polls are doing a great job.....you have no chance of recruiting fresh faces for 2k4AS unless they feel their voice is being heard. What's the point in starting a league based on rules the majority find distasteful?

that said, 0secs respawn time with the current maps will probably just cause frustration - against an organised defence, with no spawn delay, it could become very difficult to actually fully complete many of the std maps within say 10mins.

but who knows - i'm not sure anyone's really played enough in match conditions to definately know. The hope is, that if something is obviously wrong down the line, that the league's dynamic enough to adjust.

Joko said:
As you like numbering your points of view I will adopt the same format to make it easier for you.

1. The new league setup is constantly being compared with clanbase for both ONS and AS, i've seen several people mentioning it as a point of reference, either in a positive or negative manner. Im not going to waste time finding these posts for you, but if you read all the threads they are there. Clanbase assault and utassault.net assault were (are) VERY different games.

2. I'm not going to respond to that because i'll probably offend you and get myself a ban.

3. Mathematically having only clan leaders voting introduces a larger statisical error. It is also misrepresentative of the community as the clan leaders have no obligation to take into the account the opinions of their clan and can simply vote for what they feel is the best option.

4. You fail to miss the point of me quoting desolate. Correct me if i am wrong but in your opinion there should be a timer to reduce the amount of spam? desolate tried to reduce the amount of spam using weapon placement / distances of spawns etc. Although they are two different games the overall goal of the assault gametype is to conquer objectives and have a team defend them. Therefore, the point i was trying to make (i even used capital letters) was that you can never get rid of spam in assault no matter how much you try to hinder the attacking or defending team.

5. I dont understand your reasoning here. If you take your post litereally then you do not wish to have any polls before the league is set up you think you should run it "from the box" and see how it does? I also fail to see how it makes someone stubborn to "want changes before a basic league has been tried". Finally, if that stubborn person did want changes (as you say) then how would that suggest they want an "updated UT99"? :confused:

I can understand why you seem to be angry because spawn timers are getting voted out when you clearly want them in. However, if you calm down a bit and let the "stupid" people see how much of a "mistake" we are making by not wanting spawn timers - which we are assured are the savours of UT2004 AS - then I'm sure things can be changed later. Surely the point of these polls is to see what people want just now, then to try that out, and if any changes are required then by god make them.

Calling people stupid, suggesting they have no common sense and implying that they have not even tried playing UT2004 are some pretty wild accusations and i would love to see any evidence you have to support your claims.
League setup wasnt being compared to CB in this thread,but now it is thnks to you who brung the subject up which i couldnt care less about as im only intrested on what utas does not CB.
You couldnt offend me fire away everyone has there opinion,and if your offended by subject 2 then hrhr rofl pfff.
If clan leaders dont take there members views into account then it aint a decent clan and i wouldnt want to be a member in such a clan.
I dont want to get rid of spam but i dont see how bringing a ut99 map into convo has any relevance as 2k4 is subject not ut99,i dont play that no more(inactive)
Why let the stupid people make a mistake in first place ? why go through all the hassle with lettin them make mistakes ? Just means more stress more work for people running league.
And i still stand by my opinion of them being stupid and i reckon 70% of them are just voting for the sake of a poll being there with 0 spawn time so high in poll and i still reckon they couldnt have played 2k4AS much but if they have then my accuastion of them being STUPID is true def!

ohh and b4 i finish i didnt state no polls whatsoever "Ladder/league should be opened with basics and only thing that needs sorted out is amount plyrs,manymaps per team,map times,match times and penaltys for ladder/related stuff ie not turning up for match etc" but to vote on polls about spawn time pfff shouldnt be done at this stage !Should only be polls on ladder/league at moment till its up and running not altering gameplay of 2k4AS.

And id prefer a league setup with 1 div to start(depending on how many clans we get in 2k4utas) and not the ladder system as i think its flawed and harder to control,a schedule is a must imo.)

Last edited:
gringo said:
the polls are doing a great job.....you have no chance of recruiting fresh faces for 2k4AS unless they feel their voice is being heard. What's the point in starting a league based on rules the majority find distasteful?

that said, 0secs respawn time with the current maps will probably just cause frustration - against an organised defence, with no spawn delay, it could become very difficult to actually fully complete many of the std maps within say 10mins.
Totally agree with u about the new faces m8, also about current maps gringo about size of maps determining spawn times. If you have say a small map a 7 sec spawn is going to be to long as enemy probably be at next obj if u manage mega or monster kill ( which does happen quite a lot ).Ideally u would be able to configure it to the size of the map when the custom map start rolling in.The problem i see with reducing spawn times is on quite a few maps the attackers spawn nearlly on top of the obj and if u have a 0 sec delay they just gonna b a endless line of ppl jumping onto obj to defend it were as the attackers have to travel a distance.Same as i said when i started this thread just have a think about whatt you vote in polls not just select 0 secs because you want a quick return to game ;)

We just gotta go with admins and what they do at end of day,i will be joining there league/ladder whatever result these polls bring but im dreading some of the outcomes tbh :( and all the hassle of re-polling and changing again uff,when imo it could be avoided some of the mistakes.

yeah, +1 gig ram and a fast Harddrive will help a lot ;)

i find it annoying too to wait for people who take aaages to load maps :rofl:

i got 512 and does unchecking player skins make a big difference ?