Radeon 9600

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

$kunk\\'eeD

\\'o0F! Fookin \\'o0F!
Nov 28, 2001
Shropshire-UK
Creative Radeon 9600

Is there any one eles out there using a RAdeon 9600?

It's not XT or pro. it has 256meg ram.
I brought it only to play ut2004.
I KNEW it would not CRUNCH the game on holy shit.
What I wanted was to run the game at medium settings /even low/ with a high FPS
I wanted it to look ok but run fast.

What happened is that if I run game at holy shit and then at Lowest Lowest Low off off etc,
There is only 8fps difference.
Infact at lowest low off settings my GFgts/pro 64meg gives a much better fps in a game of ONS than does this new 9600.

ok ATI and Nvida are not the same, but dropping the detail in ATI don't raise the performance? wtf's up with that?
It drops to 17 at some point every game and in general is horribly choppy.

I'm Using Omega drivers, 512 RAM 1.6 gig. The monitor is old as time and will only go to 1024x7** and it says its at 90 refresh rate but I think thats not right. 60 may be as high as it goes.(other apps say so)

I have a lot of edits already in the INI file.
used 16 bit true 800x600 resolution tested all the stuff that you can find in forums with a google serch.

"The Radeon 9600 has a 128-bit memory bus, contrary to the normal Radeon 9600. As stated on the previous page the graphics core of the product runs at 325 MHz and it's memory runs at 2x190 (2x) MHz with suspected 5ns memory. A pro model for example runs at 2.8ns 2x300 with it's graphics core at 400 MHz. "

ok I knew this b4 I brought it but the point was I wanted reasonable fps and ok graphics from this card.
Now because of whats said in the above quote I'm desperate enuff to overclock it to get a SMOOTH game. I think it would respond well to overclocking the memory. I'm less keen to void my warrenty 2 days after getting the card tho. You see the bios is locked so to OverClk I'd have to flash it with another.

I know I have'nt got me a turkey. Not really BFVN and DC all run like I wanted. Reasonable detail settings Sharp crisp edges smooth and fast flowing. Helicopters exploding all over the place etc the bolloxs. But I'm so dissapointed with the ut :(

If you've read this far please don't post buy another card. Any Idea's m8ies? I'd love to hear um.

Thnks

Last edited:
If you have gone from a Nvidia card to ATI (or vice versa) without reinstalling Windows or properly cleaning up the drivers from the old card - your system performance will suck. I did exactly the same a few years ago going from a Geforce 2 GTS to a Radeon 8500 - and I was very disappointed until i reinstalled and only installed the ATi drivers. Helped me a lot.

You may not have to reinstall Windows if someone can help you clean up your system of the previous drivers and anything which is conflicting from your old card with your new card. Worth a try.

Why the heck do u buy the 256mb 9600 when u can get the 9600 pro for cheaper price and better performance !?

i wouldnt advise anyone to get a 9600 non pro, even more now that you can get a 9800pro from scan.co.uk from 127 notes
I have a 9800 pro(with an xp200 and 512 ddr) and still get low fps though, 2k4 is system hog its not good enough just to have a fast card you gotta have the system to back it up.
Big fps fix can come from turning off preload player skins, this option should only be on if you have MORE than 512 of memory imo.

im having bit of troule with me radion 9600 pro but i think i can get it sorted i just havnt spent the time to configure it is all

This card cost me less than, much less than a 9800 pro xt or other wise. I got this one because could I can afford it GurkenBurken, savvy? now FO. :sniper:

Encouraged by Anni saying his card worked and inspired by Martz sensible answer I accidently did what well stoned said I should!

I was gonna reinstall XP then I saw win 98se disk And I thought ah life was simple back then. I deleted all the data from my hard disk by accident loosing 6 years of mp3s and mods and shit LOL. Didnt want to do that NM.

Mistakes were made.

So the result? under win 98 after a format it's much better :) the fps dont drop below 30 much anymore and this is on approx 80% Holy shitzor on a big map. so when I start tweaking again I think it will get even better now.

Also I picked the OMEGA drivers from half way down the list. Meaning older ones. Same with my VIA chipset drivers. Old ones . Now I up grade the drivers to see if it gets better or worse. What a weekend I'm having :P

THanks for your thoughts, It's clear from the stuff floating around already here that the 9600 is a bit of a problem card for ut2004. As a upgrade from a 64meg gts even on a computer like this one with poor cheap parts its jaw dropping awsome looking.

L8ter
:coolfip:

Last edited:
Ajax said:
i wouldnt advise anyone to get a 9600 non pro, even more now that you can get a 9800pro from scan.co.uk from 127 notes
I have a 9800 pro(with an xp200 and 512 ddr) and still get low fps though, 2k4 is system hog its not good enough just to have a fast card you gotta have the system to back it up.
Big fps fix can come from turning off preload player skins, this option should only be on if you have MORE than 512 of memory imo.

Depends on what you need AJ. I got a Saphhire 9600 128MB (non pro) because it performs well enough for my needs (Far Cry/UT2k4 run smooth at 1024x768 at medium details) and so do the other current games. Also my card is cooled passive and a quiete system is very important to me (yeah I know I can get a 9600pro/9800pro passive cooled too but they are to expensive for my taste).

If you need all the latest bells and whistles I agree that a 9600 nonpro is not the way to go tho.

Wistles and bells lol, but eggxactly.

Interesting info tho AJ, 2 know about yr sumtimes low fps with your rig. Makes me feel better is the only way I can say it :) ty

just get an aldi pc :P
i got highest resolution/settings (holy shit) and never lower then 40 fps and i didnt buy anything extra for teh pc :P

anyway when i switched from gforce 2 ati on another pc format helped 2

Mido said:
just get an aldi pc :P
i got highest resolution/settings (holy shit) and never lower then 40 fps and i didnt buy anything extra for teh pc :P

anyway when i switched from gforce 2 ati on another pc format helped 2

rofl fucking mao I have an aldi pc at home :D it's better than I had imagined, has some crap stuff in it, but overall really good working stuff for what u get it at at the aldi lmao (btw my dad bought it without me knowing else I owuldh ave stopped him)