Processor overheating

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

AnTi

Ðøgø
Aug 28, 2002
Poland
Hio!

my specs;
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+
2 GB DDR2
Ati Radeon HD 4850
Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P

A short story of what happened.
I've installed OverDrive (obviously for my specs it's not supported i saw that later)
I've installed AMD Fusion for gaming.
I opened it and i ran profile called 'Offline play'
I ran Dragon Age game, i was purely curious if this could speed up game a bit.

After 2-3 min of play my PC shut down, i turned it on again, but during loading it shut down for the second time.

I wasn't sure what causes it until i saw my CPU temperature is sky high, well at least i consider it sky high.
I quite regullary check my PC temp. normally my CPU is at 47-52* C, but when my PC started to crash temp. reached 69* C, i don't know if it's exactly this caused the problem but it's my first guess.
I've uninstalled AMD Fusion and Overdrive but temp. didn't go down for some reason, PC kept on shutting down.

So wth ? I've reset bios settings aswell as reinstalled windows but problem still appears, even when launhcing very old games like UT/SC my processor temp goes to 70 C or higher, when not playing anything, it's around 50 C.

Last edited:
Is the CPU fan spinning? And are you sure the video card is installed right? This is just a guess but maybe the system can't use the card and so it's trying to use onboard video, hence the load on the processor. It might not be that though.

It's all properly installed yeh, my motherboard doesn't have onboard gfx card anyway. Fan is spinning, an odd thing happened yesterday, 2 times in a row when i attempted to enter bios, or boot from CD (using f12) cpu fan completely stopped, it wouldn't start after pc restart itself, had to turn off and on PC again.

I ran prime95 for around 40 minutes, it came up with 0 errors and 0 warning, temperature was steady 57 C, prime95 is supposed to stress cpu more than games, so why it overheats so badly only in games? Oo

Can you see the mainboard temperature too?
Do you use an AMD original boxed cooler, if not what is the model you use?
What kind of connection do you use for the heat transfer from the cpu to the cooler?
Make sure that your cooler is exactly mounted and free from dust and also check the fan speed please.

I have not seen the fusion extension used for the AMD Cool'n'Quiet feature under Drivers & Downloads for all cpu/ processor models. AMD Support search
any processor

Did you use the AMD Cool'n'Quiet feature once?

Last edited:
:wave: Met,

Mobo temp was around 37 C when i checked
Cooler was together with processor, dunno exact name or model though :|
Iirc there is thermal grease between CPU and cooler that transfer the heat, i just checked cooler and dusted it off, will try to run some games and get back to you :P

From what I have seen the fusion software is not able to harm the cpu temperature.

It is for facebook and other media usage used. Or do you use it for something else?

Last edited:
AMD fusion is supposed to boost your game performance by shutting down a lot of windows processes aswell as boost your AMD CPU to it's best, as far as i read it never changes clocking or anything like that, so you understand why im so confused of what happened to my CPU :|

Fusion purely changes windows settings, prioritising services and applications so that the program you specifically want to run is the main app, in theory boosting the performance, it wont change any timing speeds

Overdrive is an automatic windows based overclocking application, any problems are far more likely to come from this. This app will change clock speeds on both CPU and GFX card as well as voltages to get the higher clock speeds.

The only thing likely here is that the overdrive program has set a higher voltage for the CPU but it hasnt reset it when program has been removed, check the Vcore voltage in BIOS or using a windows program like CPU-Z or hwmonitor to see if its roughly what it should be, google your processor as to what the vcore should be for default. Id also check the graphics core speed using Catalyst or GPU-Z to see if thats back at default.
Although I dont know the overdrive program its possible its change the fan profile settings too of either/both CPU and GPU. Again check these with the monitor programs above, you can use the programs above to monitor GPU temp and fan speed.
Resetting cmos would probably be recommended, not just loading defaults.

Thanks MyM
About Overdrive, i installed it but i haven't used it at all, don't know if Fusion accessed it but i doubt it as it's for AMD-7 series and my mobo was not supported, as it said on startup.

CPU vcore is 1.312 V so it seems pretty much correct, clocks are also set correctly.
Ati Catalyst also seems to show correct settings, here's screenie

And i have no idea how to reset cmos :P

Attachments

• bez tytułu.JPG
    bez tytułu.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
Temp seems to drop down to normal now, i haven't reset cmos though, dusting it off seemed to do the trick, though very weird coincidence :P Thanks for help, and yea, never again AMD processors.

Dust?
Sorry Anti but... :lol:

Btw, i once had a Dell laptop running at 102 degrees for 5 hours until it shut down (Intel of course). Was a bit slow though during those hours, haha.