[Problem] Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sneez

Jun 11, 2001
Hi and welcome to my thread.
I am the proud owner of Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb (since today). So far so good.

Now what happends, I installed all the drivers (Catalyst and the drivers from the Cd-rom). Now when i want to run UT (or any other game) it runs good the first time but when I close the game and run it again it will run windowed without showing anything at all.
after a few Ctrl+alt+del's Windows XP tells me that the program isn't responding anymore.

I dont know what can cause this. Maybe it has conflicts with my old video card ? (An onboard SiS). Or is it driver related?

I have a pentium 4 @ 2.6ghz and an Asus P4SC-E mainboard with 512 mb's of RAM.
Looking forward to some reply's.
tnx.

you installed Catalysts AND drivers from the CD? wont work.
you should only install 1 set of drivers at a time. get the latest catalysts of ati.com, uninstall ANYTHING related to ATI drivers or catalysts , reboot your system as it tells you, also you need to make sure your onboard SiS thing is turned off, and that there are no drivers for that installed.
and then install the drivers you downloaded from ati.com

get Driver Cleaner, run it. oh wait... SiS not supported. you better do a format then :scared:

i don't know for sure, but i think you also have to deactivate the onboard card? :confused:

install newest drivers. done. :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I must say i am under the influence of ethanol now. But i shall try to make a decent post.
no wait, the :beer: is under alot o f attack! :lol: i'll reply later... :p:

Ok i am sober now

Edit: Deleted ALL drivers related to the old SiS and Ati , Now i installed the catalyst drivers only (Not the cd ones). I can run UT Multiple times now but it is Dark and i think D3d looks much better, how is that possible???
I know UT in Open GL should look shit hot!! :(

Last edited:
check out OpenGL threads on these boards.. I think theres one in General UT Forum; you'll find instructions on how to fix the darkness problem and get UT running good on OpenGL.

Fixed the darkness bug too (Stupid catalyst caused it).
I used a copy paste Paa` said in a topic but i think my settings are outdated or not compatible because some textures tend to move or switch color's.

Maybe somebody can post the *correct* ut.ini settings for me, please :p:

I have this one now:

Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
FrameRateLimit=85
SwapInterval=-1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=2
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
RefreshRate=60
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UseTNT=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
AutoGenerateMipmaps=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=True
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.300000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=False

go and start Unreal Tournament Safe Mode... then go D3D and then UT shows u what Card u got.. if it shows nothing.. go Unrealtournament.ini -> D3D.device and all bottom change the last line of that text in to Blabla ... u'll get a failure for sure.. then do same as said above only don't change line.. hopefully then it will work.. worked for me ;)