private vs secret

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Secret = Channel does not show on /LIST command
Private = You can prevent ppl to join this channel, because a "key" (password) is required to join

Officially, the p (private) mode is obsolete, as it is exactly the same as +s (secret). +s may offer more protection such as not showing the #channel name in your whois information, to anyone outside of that channel. It all depends on the IRCd version what features and privacy options it has.

You should use +s, and forget about +p

thePROPHET! said:
Secret = Channel does not show on /LIST command
Private = You can prevent ppl to join this channel, because a "key" (password) is required to join
key is +k PaSsWoRd not +p ;)

If i remember correctly +p was made obsolete, and in our ircd software they made it work exactly as +s anyway.. so no difference..

For more help about our ircd software use /helpop ? on the network..
eg. /helpop ?chmodes for avaliable channel modes

Reactions: '//3iRd(o)
RookiE said:
the password seems to vanish once in a while can u lock it?
You could use mlock set on your channel:

/cs set #channel mlock +ntk MyPaSsWoRd

it would also prevent anyone changing the key manually (the bot will revert any attempted key change). To change the key use the command above again with the new pass you want.

ONE of them ensures that the channel wont appear on your whois list. (/whois)
The OTHER ensures that the channel wont appear on channel lists (/list)

Can't remember which is which though :hangover:

But I learnt that 4 years ago so it might have changed since then.

Miner said:
ONE of them ensures that the channel wont appear on your whois list. (/whois)
The OTHER ensures that the channel wont appear on channel lists (/list)

Can't remember which is which though :hangover:

But I learnt that 4 years ago so it might have changed since then.

Wrong.

+p i supposed to hide the channel from /whois,
and +s will hide the channel from /list, and commands like /names and /topic wont work on the channelname, while also hiding it from /whois like +p.
But like i mention above, on our servers, both modes acts the same way, since theres no really use of +p

Reactions: -Scarab-