Pointless HUD Messages?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

AtmaDragon

Jul 10, 2003
Kennewick, WA
I have checked all of these message values and they are apparently all valid. My question to you all is, what do these values define?

Set DeathMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- Defines color of HUD death messages
Set DeathMessagePlus GreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- ???
Set DeathMessagePlus CyanColor (R=0,G=128,B=255) <- ???
Set DeathMessagePlus LightGreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- ???

Set SayMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- ???
Set SayMessagePlus GreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Names of players using Say messages
Set SayMessagePlus CyanColor (R=0,G=128,B=255) <- Theoretically, defines color of location of players using Say message (but you only see location if they use TeamSay... right?)
Set SayMessagePlus LightGreenColor (R=0,G=128,B=0) <- Message of players using Say

Set TeamSayMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- ???
Set TeamSayMessagePlus GreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Names of players using TeamSay
Set TeamSayMessagePlus CyanColor (R=0,G=128,B=255) <- Location of players using TeamSay
Set TeamSayMessagePlus LightGreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Message of players using TeamSay

I mean I input all of these values and the System Console accepts them; but they don't seem to define anything that actually appears in the HUD. So are these simply values that can be defined, but are never used by UT, or are they used in very rare situations, or what?

Last edited:
Reactions: zombie

I think these let you determine the exact values of the three variables. So if you played around with the R, G and B values in each line, the colours would change slightly depending on what values you had put in (max being 255 and min 0).

LOL, I thought that was obvious. :rolleyes: :trout:

I know THAT, Useless. :D MY question is, what would those three messages determine? It says, "DeathMessagePlus", but the color of the HUD Death Messages are determined by the "DrawColor", so what would assigning the "GreenColor", "CyanColor", and "LightGreenColor" a color do for the HUD messages?

Nothing.

If you understood how subclasses extend classes then you'd know that all the classes variables (READ: properties) are accessible within the subclass.

Last edited:
:blackeye: :(

Lemme get this completely straight. You have three classes: DeathMessagePlus, SayMessagePlus, and TeamSayMessagePlus. ALL classes have these four subclasses: DrawColor, GreenColor, CyanColor, and LightGreen Color. BUT not all 12 Class/Subclass sets are used? So the following

AtmaDragon said:

Set SayMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- ???
Set SayMessagePlus CyanColor (R=0,G=128,B=255) <- Theoretically, defines color of location of players using Say message (but you only see location if they use TeamSay... right?)

Set TeamSayMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- ???

are NEVER used in UT (or in the immortal words of all Voice Packs, they are "Useless." :lol:) but the following

AtmaDragon said:
Set DeathMessagePlus DrawColor (R=255,G=255,B=255) <- Defines color of HUD death messages

Set SayMessagePlus GreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Names of players using Say messages
Set SayMessagePlus LightGreenColor (R=0,G=128,B=0) <- Message of players using Say

Set TeamSayMessagePlus GreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Names of players using TeamSay
Set TeamSayMessagePlus CyanColor (R=0,G=128,B=255) <- Location of players using TeamSay
Set TeamSayMessagePlus LightGreenColor (R=255,G=255,B=0) <- Message of players using TeamSay

are?

So for those of you who still remember Algebra ;) it's analogous to having an extraneous solution to an equation?

Theoretically, could someone make a mod or mute or something that actually uses those 6 unused messages? I would guess that's why they are there, so the programmers didn't have to specifically "program-out" those 6 messages just because the programmers themselves don't use them.

Last edited:
AtmaDragon said:
Then enlighten me please. That's why I formed my antepenultimate post as a question not as a statement.

If that wasn't directed at me, nevermind. :D

DeathMessagePlus class is extended from the class LocalMessagePlus which has the member variables: GreenColor, LightGreenColor and CyanColor. LocalMessagePlus itself is extended from the class LocalMessage which has the member variable DrawColor. That's why DeathMessagePlus has all four member variables.

The fact some of the inherited member variables aren't used doesn't mean it was badly designed. If I recall, with UnrealScript, you can't hide member variables from inheriting classes so that's why you get some "pointless" ones which aren't used anywhere except the father class.

AtmaDragon said:
Theoretically, could someone make a mod or mute or something that actually uses those 6 unused messages?
What 6 messages? You only showed 2 of them. As someone has already said, you are being thick about it. You could have tried experiementing with changing their values to observe the changes in text appearance. You could have tried researching it a bit.
In leagueas, since 136, any tweaks that change those values are blocked and thus have no effect under leagueas. However, and iirc, they work under utpure and ofcourse when no protection is running, like offline play.

From my tweakfile prior to 136:
set teamsaymessageplus greencolor (g=240,r=240,b=240) // Player name
set teamsaymessageplus lightgreencolor (g=240,r=240,b=0) // Player message
set teamsaymessageplus cyancolor (g=240,r=0,b=240) // Player location
So thats the first 3 of your "messages" taken care of. Simply properties used in conjuction with teamsay.
Similar effects for other messages, but thats the only one i bothered to have a colortweak for.