Phone Synchronisation

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushroomhead

I'm so sorry I made a mistake!!
Feb 1, 2004
Behind You
I got a new phone (Nokia N86) and the main reason was for the ability to sync it with a calendar. I checked various sites and was led to believe its possible, as Google says its calendar syncs with symbian phones, and if I couldn't get that to work, outlook.com does sync, and the phone supports Mail for Exchange.

I'm yet to get it working hence the post!

I've found lots of "help" sites including the Q & A's on google, but none have solved the problem yet. I believe the problems currently are...
- The phone wants to setup MFE as my default email client (which google doesnt do, but says it still works with S60)
- I can't for the life of me find what the Nokia default calendar database is called.
- I don't really understand how to use the phone 100% yet :sofa:

If anyone has any experiance in this area feel free to chip in!

At work we've also Nokia phones.

The syncronisation between Outlook entries (calender, notes, appointments) and phone is done by a software called Nokia PC suite.
It's easy to configure and understand,

Jus ttstd it with Nokia E50 und E52, but according to a short google research (nokia suite + your phone) you can use this software with this new phone also.

You alrdy tried it?

I think Mush is after over the air (OTA) sync?

Google's 'sync' is essentiallly written with the MFE protocols, so not sure which bit you can't get working..

If your phone is set up ready to accept MFE and you have Internet working on it already, then you just need to configure it to point to Google's servers:-
  1. exchange server = m.google.com
  2. secure = yes
  3. roaming sync = no
  4. port = default
  5. username = [email protected]
  6. pass = password
  7. domain = none/blank
Then just configure a sync schedule, or set to manual.

I have got this working on my Sony Ericsson, so should also be fairly simple if your phone also supports MFE out of the box.

/edit

Just looking on the gsync site, it says it supports Mail via MFE, but only for iPhone / Windows Mobile... Not sure why these have different MFE implementations though. Calendar//Contacts seems to work fine for all MFE phones though.

Last edited:
I think Mush is after over the air (OTA) sync?

Google's 'sync' is essentiallly written with the MFE protocols, so not sure which bit you can't get working..

If your phone is set up ready to accept MFE and you have Internet working on it already, then you just need to configure it to point to Google's servers:-
  1. exchange server = m.google.com
  2. secure = yes
  3. roaming sync = no
  4. port = default
  5. username = [email protected]
  6. pass = password
  7. domain = none/blank
Then just configure a sync schedule, or set to manual.

I have got this working on my Sony Ericsson, so should also be fairly simple if your phone also supports MFE out of the box.

/edit

Just looking on the gsync site, it says it supports Mail via MFE, but only for iPhone / Windows Mobile... Not sure why these have different MFE implementations though. Calendar//Contacts seems to work fine for all MFE phones though.

Spot on, I've tried those settings but its not having it.

It won't except "m.google.com" as the server, so I put http://m.google.com - is that the correct prefix?
Google doesn't let you use MFE for email, just calendar, but to setup MFE it is in the Email settings on the phone, you can't set it up directly through the calendar, is that likely to be a problem?

Also, you cans sync the contacts, and its default entry to Contacts database is C:Contacts.cdb, but for the calendar the database is left blank, so I'm wondering if you need to know the specific calendar directory?

Sorry I feel I'm not explaining this very well!

It won't help you directly.. but send your phone back while you still got a cooling off period!

Symbian OS is a stinking pile of shite. I can only hope that your N85 works better than the N97.

On the topic, I used goosync while it was free to sync my mobile calendar with Google Calendar - and its much easier to sync Google Calendar from there with something else.

I would say https://m.google.com rather than http://m.google.com for the server. Not 100% sure though, as my SE does that automatically.

Yes, email setup is typically where you'd put this, but when you get further along, you can select No to sync email, and e.g. 'Include last 1 month' for calendar entries etc.

Not sure about the sdb entry name, sorry - haven't owned a Nokia for quite a few years now.

Last edited:
It won't help you directly.. but send your phone back while you still got a cooling off period!

Symbian OS is a stinking pile of shite. I can only hope that your N85 works better than the N97.

On the topic, I used goosync while it was free to sync my mobile calendar with Google Calendar - and its much easier to sync Google Calendar from there with something else.

Unfortuantely at the moment I find myself agreeing. The layout seems totally ilogical, its quite slow, and a bit jerky. But, for the money I'm paying, once I get it all working, I'm willing to put up with that, as I only need it for pretty basic stuff. And the camera is a nice bonus.

I am currently toying with the idea of goosync.

I would say https://m.google.com rather than http://m.google.com for the server. Not 100% sure though, as my SE does that automatically.

Yes, email setup is typically where you'd put this, but when you get further along, you can select No to sync email, and e.g. 'Include last 1 month' for calendar entries etc.

Not sure about the sdb entry name, sorry - haven't owned a Nokia for quite a few years now.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I found a mixture of settings that enabled MFE to connect, though at the moment its back to not believing my password is correct.
When I go to the Sync options to enable calendar sync, it asks more questions, like server version, mailbox etc.

When clicking the Default Mailbox under the calendar settings, the only option is google mail (the IMAP/Pop3) version, MFE isn't an option.

I must say I am very disappointed that none of you have the precise experiance required to solve this :P

LOL /me makes an evil laugh

LOL /me makes an evil laugh

Yeah... I could also live with the problems.. if it wasn't supposed to be a high end device which costs losts of money. Compared to the HTC Hero and iPhone the Nokia N series is like 5 year old technology.

Cant speak for the N900 though which doesnt use Symbian.

Never again will I own another Symbian phone, most probably never another Nokia.

I have no idea how, but some 2am fiddling, and it has started working.

Thanks for all the input, it has helped, somehow!

Totally agree Martz, the sensor/screen rotation thing is really quite poor, but it works out about £10 p/month cheaper than the HTC's and a bazillion £ cheaper than the iphone. So, for now, I'll make do!