Performance of Harddisks

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
Sharing HDD performance rating might be interesting. So everyone is able to check if the own harddisk(s) run properbly and fast enough.
Also it's a good opportunity to see the performance of HDDs in reallife without thrusting in tuned manufacturer informations. That could be helpful if you looking for a new HDD.

1) Download the little program HDTune (not pro version!) for free.
2) Install it
3) Start it
4) Run the test by clicking on start
5) wait some mins (up to 5 mins -depending on your HDD speed)
6) Save the picture via the floppy symbol near the temperature symbol in HDTune toolbar.
7) Post the picture here.

If you use RAID or any other combination that might change the result of a sinlge HDD, include it in your post.

i'll start with mine.
Samsung SP0942N 80GB, IDE-133, 7200rpm, 2MB
Samsung HD401LJ 400GB, SataII, 7200rpm, 16MB

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 50
  • HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD401LJ.jpg
    HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD401LJ.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 322
i downloaded it, cba to send screenie:P
the program said both of my HDD are 56°C, is that to hot for a HDD?

:hangover: I have no bloddy idea if those are good but i guess Seagate done pretty good?

Attachments

• HDTune_Benchmark_ST3500320AS.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_ST3500320AS.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 316
  • HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD2500AAKS-00VSA.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD2500AAKS-00VSA.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 312
Did mine for a laugh....nvidia 680i chipset, Vista Ultimate. 3 x Western Digital somethingorothers in Raid 5.
Notice the higher CPU usage as it's a "software" raid! (Intel Core2 Quad 6600 btw @ default speed)

Attachments

• nVidiaRaid5.jpg
    nVidiaRaid5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Two Hitachi 500GB 16MB (different models) and a 160GB raptor, using an older version of the prog as I already had it installed :D
HDTune_Benchmark_HDS725050KLA360.png

HDTune_Benchmark_Hitachi HDT725050VLA.png

HDTune_Benchmark_WDC WD1600ADFS-00SLR.png

My raptor..

Also got a seagate and 2xSamung F1 (1TB) in RAID1, but cba waiting for em atm :lol:

Mym's raptor has hax!!!!!

Attachments

• hdd.JPG
    hdd.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 292
My Areca 1260 RAID card with 5x Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB's in RAID-5

Windows was being shite about the total GB size. It's now in a Linux fileserver with XFS so it's all good now.

CPU Usage pretty high, but I was probably doing something and it was on a Athlon64 3800+ single core :lol:

Edit: Also found a bench of a single one of those hd's on my onboard NVIDIA sata.

Attachments

• Areca 1260 HDTune Bench Read 5xHD753LJ.png
    Areca 1260 HDTune Bench Read 5xHD753LJ.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 285
  • hd753lj.png
    hd753lj.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I was browsing a bit when it was doing it so i think i made it a bit slower than it should have been :o

MY temp doesnt show either
blah :D

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 284
:rofl: the best way to generate a completely useless result is probably doing other things while the test runs.

Heres mine.

The fact that the burst rate is lower then the transfer rate in one of them just shows how pants that program is.

Attachments

• atlas.JPG
    atlas.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 273
  • seagate.JPG
    seagate.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 270
  • hitachi.JPG
    hitachi.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
the best way to generate a completely useless result is probably doing other things while the test runs.
It can actually show how much the performance decreases while you're doing something really small.
Also if a certain drive is still performing better or equal under load than another drive, you can easily compare them.
As long as people write in their report that they actually did something while performing the bench I don't think they are completely useless. :x

But even then, a decent SATA chip can easily make a difference with a cheap one. So these benches are pointless anyway, unless they'er all on the same chip.

Edit: Here's an old Maxtor 20GB drive for comparison :P It doesn't really look that bad compared to the rest of the drives here though :x
Has there been so little improvement over the years?

Attachments

• HDTune_Benchmark_Maxtor_2B020H1.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_Maxtor_2B020H1.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
After i got annoyed by the noise of my Samsung 401LJ, i decided to get a new harddisk.
Bought the WD Caviar 6400AAKS 640GB, after i read many tests and comments that this beast has a tremendous speed and is silent.

Overall all this is true. On the same machine (and same OS system - i made copy from disk to disk) my the Samsung 401LJ got 58.5MB/s, the Caviar achieved over 95MB/s.
The noise level has been reduced much.
So if you looking for a new disk consider WD6400AAKS

Attachments

• WD_6400AAKS.JPG
    WD_6400AAKS.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Now meet the future: SSDs devices.
Simply saying SSDs are huge USB-Sticks, that look like HDDs and can be plugged into your PC like normal HDDs.
SSDs have no rotating disks, that's why it's so wicked. No noise level, no fear to damage your laptop disk.
Their flash technology were pimped so much, that they dont lose long stored data like USb-Sticks.

Access time and data rate stability are unreached. Too bad their are still expensive (several hundreds of dollar for 32GB).

1 SSD
hc_188c2m.jpg

2 SSDs Raid 0:
hc_229n5a.jpg

3 SSDs in Raid 0:
hc_256wzi.jpg

4SSDs in Raid 0:
hc_247er8.jpg

4 SSDs in Raid5:
hc_250s8x.jpg

Impressive how they doubled / tripled their transfer rate when added to Raid0.

Last edited:
OCZ are about to release a new wave of SSDs which are much more affordable.

32Gb - £118
64Gb - £185
128Gb - £334

I can't wait :)