PC won't start properly

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

AnTi

Ðøgø
Aug 28, 2002
Poland
So i tried to build some 'new' pc from this;

Motherboard; Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P
Processor; AMD AM2 Athlon64 X2 4000+
Graph; PCI-E GeForce 8500GT 256MB DDR3 128bit
Ram; 2GB DDR2 800Mhz
Sound; SB Live! 5.1
DVDR
120GB HDD
Qoltec SilentLine Q400 400W

Basically i think i plugged and connected everything properly, however the following stuff happens;
Processor fan is running, HDD is running, Graph is running but there is no screen at all.
There is no Beep when PC starts.
I tried:
Plug off different parts hoping i'll get bios beeps saying whats wrong - nothing happened, everything was running and no screen on the monitor at all.
Tried to plug different monitor - nothing.
I think i even managed to clear CMOS, still nothing.

Any ideas?
My guess is Motherboard which is pretty new, got it today, or i fucked up something which is more likely.

Thanks in advance

AnTi

Silly question: did you plug the pc speaker into motherboard?
Check the switch/led/speaker connections again.
Check separate power line to gpu.

If you cleared cmos make sure the jumper isn't still in the clear position.

When you say hdd is running, do you mean if you leave pc on it will whirl and light up as if the OS is loading? Or what exactly?

I did plug in speaker into Motherboard.
My HDD when it's starting make very low noise and on that i base it was running then, but no there was no OS, infact i couldn't see shit as theres nothing on the screen.

One weird thing though, the HDD light (red) and power light (green) were both on for some reason ><

Gonna try some more stuff tonight, but if you got any other ideas please post it!
thx

Check that CPU is really in rite place and cpu-fan correctly mounted? LOL happened at work my m8 attached the cpu abit wrong, nothing happened when i tried boot it, took some time til i found that out, aint gona ask my m8 for help next time :lol:

Reseat all your parts & take off everything except for the motherboard, cpu, ram & graphics card. See if you can get a POST screen. You should also be getting beeps, make sure the pc speaker is plugged in correctly, etc.

Without beeps from the mobo, it is difficult to work out what it isn't detecting.

I'd also try removing the ram and graphics just to see if you can get a noise outta the mobo - this'll at least confirm its working (ish)

Also, if you're still having problems - build the pc outside of your case, on a desk or summat. Sometimes you get a short from the mobo tray if you have the wrong fittings.

Cant tell exactly if you are upgrading or building with all new parts, if youve used the cpu & PSU before then I would say short or faulty MB, Id edge towards the MB myself.

I fixed a pc that the fans spun no beeps reseated all, then i realised what was up stuck reset switch :rolleyes:

so make sure the reset switch is not stuck in or shorted

kk problem fixed, it was after all processor that wasn't properly plugged.

thanks everyone for help! :)

swoon.gif

laugh3.gif