PC not detecting 2 IDE DVD drives after adding 500gb sata II disk

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Black Ninja

Jan 25, 2002
Netherlands
Ever since I added a Seagate 500gb sata II hdd my 2 IDE DVD-RW's haven't shown up in the bios nor Windows. I already had a sata wd raptor as my boot drive on sata 1 on the mobo, so it's weird that after adding a 2nd sata drive, the 2 IDE's DVD drives would go invisible.

My system:

e6600
p5b deluxe
2 x corsair 1024 ddr2
evga 8800 gts 512
1 x sata raptor as boot drive on mobo sata 1
1 x sata seagate on mobo sata 2
2 x dvd-rw on motherboard's IDE1 on 1 cable
2 x wd ide drives on pci ide controller

At first I didn't really have a problem with it, now I also bought a Logitech G5 mouse, and I can't get that to work in any kind of way. That's a problem aside, anyway, because of that I want to reinstall my computer, but ofcourse, it won't detect my dvd-drives. So I'm kind of stuck at the moment and hope that anyone might have some tips on getting the IDE drives to be seen again. Alternatively, would there be a good chance if I buy a sata dvd drive that that WOULD get detected?

Thanx :D

As long as it doesnt detect it in BIOS, yer pretty fucked..

Why doesnt the mouse work, I got the same mouse.. just regular USB.

IDE failing.. USB failing...

Sounds like broken/faulty computer?
Might be smart to check all the cables, jumpers and BIOS settings, maybe something is wrong there..

Well tbh, there doesn't seem anything wrong with the USB. My phone, several external hdd's, memory card readers all work fine.

I hooked up the mouse and the lights go on, but the cursor just wouldn't budge. I tried old drivers, new drivers, removed all leftovers of the microsoft mouse software. I even deleted all usb VID's just to make sure nothing was bugging up there, but still the mouse just wouldn't work. It does say "found new hardware" and comes up with "logitech mouse", but every mouse should even work before that stage and it just doesn't.

I wonder if it's a faulty computer/motherboard, since everyhing just worked fine before adding that 2nd sata disk. Just really frustrating I can't reinstall :rofl:

Any chance the new drive just replaces the DVD drive's letter by accident? I'm sure this has happened to me before.

If you unplug the SATA disk.. does the IDE come back again?

Maybe your PSU isnt powerful enough to power 3 drives + the G5?

Yes I just tried that, doesn't work, they are still gone. That was kind of my only hope.

You could be right on that maybe, I think I do have quiete a lot of wattage in it. I have an Antec Sonata II case with built in Antec 450W psu, I thought it might be a bit short. But still weird that the IDE's didn't come back after taking the cable of the new sata out.

Yes I just tried that, doesn't work, they are still gone. That was kind of my only hope.
Well, then like I said check cables, jumpers and BIOS.. although I'm sure you did that already (prolly the first thing anyone/you would try, right?).

As they are still gone after removing the SATA drive it sounds like something is deffo broken. Prolly mobo..

Did you try plugging in the G5 into a different USB-port? Maybe the port is just fuxxored..

Well, then like I said check cables, jumpers and BIOS.. although I'm sure you did that already (prolly the first thing anyone/you would try, right?).

As they are still gone after removing the SATA drive it sounds like something is deffo broken. Prolly mobo..

Did you try plugging in the G5 into a different USB-port? Maybe the port is just fuxxored..

Yes I tried that, but jumpers are all fine. Ports aswell, tried all 6, but nothing.

At first I also thought it might have been an IRQ conflict between the sata #2 port on the mobo and the IDE drives, but then again after removing the 2nd sata hard drive, they should have came back.

If u have the chance to test a better psu I would try that, seems u have loads of stuff plugged in, it might be good enough but its definetely at its limit.

Other things Id try are updating bios or clearing cmos after unplugging ur s-ata to see if the ides come back then.

If you unplug the SATA disk.. does the IDE come back again?

Maybe your PSU isnt powerful enough to power 3 drives + the G5?

Dunno tbh....he has a 450w PSU which should be enough.

I have borrowed a WATT Meter to see how much power my PC pulls. (We are evaluating carious IT equipment at work to see how much power is being used). Plug the PC, or whatever, into the WATT Meter and plug the WATT Meter into the wall socket.

Core 2 Quad 2.4 @ 3.00ghz
4Gb RAM
680i motherboard
nvidia 8800 GTS 512 G92
2 x DVD drives
3 x SATA drives
PSU: OCZ 600W StealthXStream

Booted up, ran 3DMark06.
Peak power pulled was 280W

When the PC is powered down (but PSU still on) 21W are still being used :-/
PSU still pulls 2W if it's turned off too.

If u have the chance to test a better psu I would try that, seems u have loads of stuff plugged in, it might be good enough but its definetely at its limit.

Other things Id try are updating bios or clearing cmos after unplugging ur s-ata to see if the ides come back then.

I'll give this a go, thanx :)

Tried this, it comes down to 326W, I guess it still does have enough headroom then? I must say my psu has been making a weird high pitch noise the last 4 months, wanted to replace it anyway in the near future, but I don't think it's the cause of my problem.

Uzi also gave me some tips, I'll have a look at them tomorrow when I got some more time and post my results when I got em :)

If youve unplugged all the power cables from the other drives except for the IDE devices and its still not detected then I would say the PSU is unlikely to be the cause or at least the sole cause of your problems.

Been a while since I got my hands on a P5B-Del but

I thought that the IDE drives wont show up in main BIOS, only in the boot order part as they run off the jmicron chip? I assume you havent turned this off or it hasnt been disabled somehow. The page after it POSTs will list jmicron attached devices in green.

Tried resetting BIOS or even updating?