PC Crashing Under Load...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-Starlight-

Boom...
Sep 22, 2001
Brum.
Hi All,

Unfortunatley my PC is crashing intermittently! Seems like a hardware crash than anything else, so does anyone have any ideas/thoughts.

Ok, PC seems to crash under load- one of the main offenders is UT, however even using IE can crash it out. Its nothing in particular that seems to trigger it, other than the PC is under load!!
I think its the CPU/Motherboard but cant pinpoint the problem! Heres the spec:

Motherboard: ASRock K7VT2 - Chipset KT266/333
CPU : AMD Athlon 2200+ XP - Socket A (FSB 266)
RAM : 1GB PC3200 DDR Memory RAM DDR400 1 GB DIMM SDRAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9200 Pro SE
Sound: On Board
Power Supply - 500

The specification is decent enought not to crash under load. However i need to know which one is causing the system failure. I think its the motherboard, is there anyway to check the CPU before i think of buying a new motherboard?

Any Ideas/ Fixes?

Thanks for any help :D

Oh and some fixes i did try:

*Overheating CPU? - Tried another Heatsink which caused the CPU temp to reduce but still crashed.
*Windows Problem? - Re-installed Windows - still crashes
*RAM problem? - The above stick was bought to replace another stick which i thought was the problem! Also runs memtest fine with no issues.
*Monitor - Bought a flat screen (needed more room anyway)

Another issue is the mouse, it doesnt seem to get the right input on the screen e.g. Mouse Lag/Mouse Jumps. Again maybe motherboard as ive changed my mouse around twice.

As you can see i dont want to spend more ££££ as its getting a bit silly now!

Maybe a heat problem?
My graphicscard fan to my ati 9700 pro didn't blow away heat well enough. I tried it by opening up th case and let a table fan blow right in. And Voila everything was working. So I put a 80 mm fan instead under my 9700 and added some extra fans to my chassi to get better air flow.

Although you dont say what OS ur using

How does it crash? just suddenly reboot, lockup, or blue screen? I assume if its a sudden reboot that you have turned off autoreboot in startup/recovery options in system.
Whats the application and system event log say? Any hints as to the crashes or does it show no errors at all

Hi Guys :D

@ Storm - checked FSB Settings and all ok, even pulled out the motherboard manual to check (which is unusual for me)

@Supermic - Your right Gfx is useless, so i bought a huge heatsink/fan for it :D - and tested this on my working PC Downstairs and works without crashing. So cant be graphics.

@MYM - Running XP - Same version as another pc im running which doesnt crash. It either locks up, or just suddenly re-boots. I havent checked event log - would it show the error on re-boot.
I dont have any errors e.t.c, just lock up or even reboots.

Another issue which i assume points to the motherboard is the following:

*Running wireless internet via Wireless network card. When the PC Locks up and reboots it states new hardware found, and wants to install the wireless network card again. However if i then reboot correctly without installing drivers, it boots up and finds network card and connects to network.

I think all of this points to one hardware issue - motherboard, the CPU could be crashing however ive tried new heatsinks and doesnt stop crashing. Would you agree? If i have to buy a new mobo, ill have too :(

lastime i ever got blue scrfeens was when windows was corupt :/

Thanks for that DB, seems like a good replacment and nice price too!

Only problem i have is the RAM, unfortunatley its got some compatibility issues. I bought it off ebay (as you may remember in the private forums thread) - i do regret the decision, as i only bought it for the price and doesnt seem to work with most motherboards :(

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140020583546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

its also high-density RAM :s

Though would that motherboard you said be OK with the above RAM, or any good price mobos that will be OK :D

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Cheers DB :D You saved the day! Should stop crashing now!

As long as it suits the HD RAM im ok :D, Will order now and update thread :D

Thanks m8y!!