Parents and truancy

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Public Poll: Parents...

• are not responsible for making their children go to school

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think they should bring the belt back, would solve all the problems in school. Teachers cant even go near a kid without being sued so how are they meant to enforce anything? Kids at that age arent threatened by much anymore.
As for assignement of blame parents are responsible partly, but u cant expect them to know what their kids are doing all the time so they cant take the blame all the time. If its proven that parents are LETTING their kids play truant then just fine the fuckers, and if they cant pay then throw them in the slammer.

:smoke2:

I think a jail sentence is a bit severe for that - how has it affected the government or the community in any big way? The child loses out...who else does? In which case the parent should be making sure their child goes to school, on the basis that it will do him or her good, but if the child skips school then it's up to the parent to discipline them. The worst case scenario is if the child is skipping school and the parent doesn't give a shit but I don't think that would count as child abuse, so it's not really anyone else's business how a parent raises their child.

I'm on the same boat as Useless (hey stop hogging all the room)...

Unless the parent is forcefully preventing the child from schooling then tbh they deserve to miss out on education; then again, the jobless slackers that they become are eating up our taxes in the form of unemployment monatary funding.

I think jail sentence is a bit harsh; every child has a right to education - but if they choose to deny this, it is their own downfall they are ensuring.

[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]
I think jail sentence is a bit harsh; every child has a right to education - but if they choose to deny this, it is their own downfall they are ensuring.[/QUOTE]

I agree that jail seems to harsh but I don not agree on the following, there is no way a 7 10 or even 12 year old kid has a way to understand the consequeses of dropping out.

If punishing the parents fines should be a better way of doing it or something else, how would the kid benefit from having one or both its parents sent to jail ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: -CrackKing-
i think parents can only be held responsible up to an age of ~ten years and they should be responsible for making sure that their kid leaves home every day after that until it's grown up. they can't really change the things that happens after that, maybe the kid goes visit a friend then to skip school, but they really can't know that.
if they don't care about the children'ss education, the child should be taken away from them and they should have to pay all the upcoming costs.

Reactions: -CrackKing-
Load of bollox, all of it.

Just a short explanation on the danish school system, basically we have 9 mandatory years, thats about it ;)

Well, I was fed up with school age 10 in the fourth grade, litterally. By the time I reached 7th grade I discovered weed, beer and women... well, not women as such, mostly weed and beer, but I "thought" alot about women ;)

Basically by thruout 7th and 8th grade, I was there for maybe 50% of the time, and I know in most classes in 9th grade I was only there maybe 30% of the time. While I wouldn't recommend _anyone_ to behave this way, thats what I did and all this bollox about them becoming jobless slackers anat, is just that, bollox :P Punishing the parents for having kids they don't control, makes no sense... Caning children? Duncan, go live in a 3rd world country, you'd enjoy it...

In the end, its the schools responsibility to make the education good and interresting enough to catch the kids attention. Nothing more, nothing less. I know the reason I didn't go to school back then, it was boring, it was fucking slow, it didn't in anyway challenge me...

Re:

I found school boring etc...but im glad i went.

Parents should be responsible for their children going to scholl...if they can't be they should be allowed to have their children removed, and see what a world of shit they are in when they are 20.

Parents are responsible for u, till ur legal age... bye law...

since most of u keep the parents responsible..., brings us to the next question: what are those parents allowed to enforce them to goto school? atm virtually nothing... a simple smack on the ass, coz the kid skipped school is considerd child abuse already...

Last edited:
tbh i disgusted the way this has gone so far, not one person has even mentioned that there might be something else behind the child not going to school, ie bullying, abuse or mental problems. No its got to be the fault of the parent is complete and utter bollocks trust me i know. As a child I was a top of the class student untill high school where along with teenage problems i also devolped anixitey and depession after my grandad died, this lead me to not go to school for the whole of the last 2 years of school, the goverment never helped, the socal services never came to enquire untill after i had tried to kill myself by jumping of a 30 foot high train bridge, why ? cos of all the hassle trunt letters where causing my parents and the arguements this caused. It wasnt untill after i had done this that the socal even lifted a finger, even then they only moved me to another school then did jack and shit when it all started again. It wasnt till later in life that i was told i had anixtey had it of been spotted way back then all this could of been differant and my life might not of been the total fuckup it is now. So don't go pointing fingers at the parents point your fingers at goverment and socal services as they should be doing more to help these like me unlucky childern. Though its seams the goverments answer is to cause more and more hassle to the home enviroment which imo is only going to lead to more suicides in children shame really :(

What are parents supposed to do? Sit in class with their kids all day so they know they've attended? C'mon, parents have jobs aswell, they can't watch their kids 24/7. You can send your kid to school, hell you can even drag him there, but once the parents leave who's there to stop them from walking out the second the parents drive around the corner.

Duncan has a point in that atm, schools have no control over students in terms of punishment. Kids that want to play truant all the time are the same kids that really don't give a stuff about getting detention, or punishment exercises. Detention at my school, was an aboslute joke. Wednesday lunchtime, for about 25 mins!!!!!! We were allowed to go have lunch and report for detention at 12.30, where we had to write out the school rules, at 12.55 we got to leave, just so we weren't late for our 1st afternoon class. Was a complete pisstake. Anyways, I'm starting to waffle....

some really english replies in this thread imo...

IMO parents are responsible for everything in their childs life upto the age of 18, mentally/emotionally as well as physically. Going to school is very important for any kid and should be monitored by both the parents and the school, if kids don't show up parents should decipline them and make them go, and if they don't, then the gouvernment should punish the parents to do so. Then it's imo mostly up to the parents to find out why their kids don't go to school, if people say "how the hell do parents know" well my parents KNEW (and know) something was wrong with me the second they laid eyes on me.

As a parent you should care for your child if it were... ur child!!!

And if they don't, then they should be forced out of parenthood imo. @ Apoc, no parents can't keep track of their child all the time, but the school can phone them every day their child didn't show up, and if their child doesn't show up for more then 5 days in a certain period (i.e. month) without their parents excusing them at school a social worker should be dispatched to find out wtf is wrong. If children still don't show up they should go into a facility where they are forced into school and order in their lives.

@ Ajax, how in the world did you end up not going to school in 2 years? if that would have been me my parents would have spotted something was wrong within days and my school would be asking where the hell i was within days as well, and my parents would have sat down with me and talked with me. And if they hadn't, then no doubt a teacher from my school would have come by soon enough. It just baffles me how you can hide serious emotional problems to your parents, i would never have been able to specially not with showing it through such evident signs as not going to school. (besides the fact some of the teachers in school where fathers of friends of mine and friends of my parents, very high level of social control)

If children are allowed to roam the streets and learn nothing, it will be the downfall of our society as they'll learn nothing then live off the streets dealing and stealing. It's the parents responsability to make their children go to school and if they fail, they should have their children taken away from them. (off course after many attempts to make it all right again)

I think that if this is a problem then the reason lies elswhere.Society should take steps though, since it will be society paying for it in the end.

And let me add, if u think this goes against some principal i suggest rethinking.

In the UK, parents are responsible for their children until the age of 18, at which point the "child" becomes a fully enfranchised adult in the eyes of the law, and hence responsible for themselves.

Having children is a responsibility, and parents have a duty to look after the child and its best interests. Until the child reaches 18, parents have a duty of care towards the children, because they are legally responsible for the life and wellbeing of another.

Once the child reaches 18, the parents should not be responsible.

Having said that, a school also has a duty of care towards the children in its care during school hours. If the child is playing truant due to bullying, then the school and parents should really be picking up on this and doing something about it jointly.

Parents who condone truancy by their children when there is no good reason for it deserve to be fined at least, as they are failing in their parental duties and responsibilities.

Thuringwethil said:
Once the child reaches 18, the parents should not be responsible.

Having said that, a school also has a duty of care towards the children in its care during school hours. If the child is playing truant due to bullying, then the school and parents should really be picking up on this and doing something about it jointly.

Parents who condone truancy by their children when there is no good reason for it deserve to be fined at least, as they are failing in their parental duties and responsibilities.

Thats about what I wanted to say