New Unreal Tournament [Real, not speculation]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Great news! We need everyone who can help in any way.

To The problem with drawing messages to the screen. In DM-Overlord they made this possible/happen.
Maybe take a Look in there

Last edited:
Ba]V[sE;1633069 said:
Update on the UAL LOGO:
Since I wanted this to be really good I contacted Henrik Ryosa that actually made the Fragcenter logo and works pro. with graphic design at his work. He will make a new logo for us and we have disscussed some ideas. He will come back with a suggestion for the UAL logo hopefully this week! :satan:

Bamse slow down, there's only so many orgasms I can take in one week ;)

To The problem with drawing messages to the screen. In DM-Overlord they made this possible/happen.

I can write messages to the screen as long as they are pre-defined. So stuff like:

BlueScoreMessage = NSLOCTEXT("ASGameMessage", "Blue Half Time", "BLUE Assaulted the Base in xx:xx!");
RedScoreMessage = NSLOCTEXT("ASGameMessage", "Red Half Time", "RED Assaulted the Base in xx:xx!");

Then the way you select a message to show is via some really weird GetText() function that sends an integer switch:

switch (Switch)
{
case 3: return RedScoreMessage; break;
case 4: return BlueScoreMessage; break;
}

I have to do it this way because of the way the UT Messaging system is hooked up. Bit weird for me - I'll work a way around it so I can pre-load the objective "Destroyed Text" into this class.

The good news is that I do have control over the messaging system :)

http://forums.utassault.net/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=34

Sorry to get a bit technical but I find giving these updates helps my brain understand and work out some problems. Don't want to be burying Bamse's excellent frag vids :D

Last edited:
I have been following the development of UT4 and im happy to read that there are plans to reincarnate utassault. I want to actively participate in the process any way i can. :D I'm a web developer myself and following a study for being a Software Engineer so i might be able to help with some programming stuff (although i havent checked out the unreal engine yet).

:fart:git i luv u :love:

Blueprint output variable plz learn blueprints jeffo

Hey! There we go :D dynamic message loading for objectives. Time to finish the AS-HUD!

picture.php

wow! amazing work there Urgamanix! really looking forward to see it actually on server! so its the 5 points for non critical and 10 for critical obj, this could be better than the old 10 points for every obj thing:P

Well the main issue was the 110 points for the final objective, which completely skewed the scoreboard; sometimes the final objective was difficult, sometimes it wasn't so difficult. Also, people would usually go back to get non-critical objectives they didnt need to just to inflate their points. Hopefully this is a good compromise.

EDIT: I'm doing a lot of activities in parallel with this. It seems the #assault channel on quakenet is dead. It is also a bit unspecific for my liking. I have a lot of community-generating activities queued up, so I have created #ut.assault for this purpose. Don't worry, we want to bring in people to irc.utassault.net, but we will need this channel as the first bridge. Please join this channel (on quakenet) and provide your support.

Last edited:
Thanks all :). It's going to be a couple slow days for development now, I didn't manage to get Overlord finished in time (UT99 geometry and BSP holes suddenly appearing out of nowhere, anyone?) and now I have some corporate and personal events to go through on nights. New target for version 1 is this weekend. I did however manage to get the bots moving around and fragging the crap out of everyone, they even accidently complete objectives o_O.

I've started casually promoting irc.quakenet.org #ut.assault on the UT forums, so if you're idling in IRC, please come visit and idle as well until we really start to generate some pickup / marketing activity.

EDIT: We have a server up for internal testing, working on "cooking" the map and then I will pass the client Plugin to a few testers for us to test.

Last edited:
I downloaded and installed UT4 today and its really fast paced, feels more like UT2k4 then UT99! need to configure my weps as i got owned. Looking forward to testing Assault with you guys.

Quick update: We had AS-Overlord99 running on an Assault server! And then it crashed when i touched an objective.

This was due to the networking replication system (i.e. if you complete an objective, it needs to tell everyone else you did), and can only be picked up on a true server/client setup. This is pretty complex code, but making slow progress. Trying to get version 0.71 up for this weekend.

EDIT: Finally made the breakthrough last night, was calling server-specific code on the client, which was crashing it. Need to spend a bit of time separating out the server and client code, and then we'll be up and running :) didn't manage to pick it up when playing single-player, as the server = the client when I was developing.

Last edited: