Monitor BLEW UP

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-CrackKing-

Suprise, cockfags!
Jun 8, 2001
Located
This could be a very short answer to a long question butttt..............................

I had a Xerox 19" LCD that came with my PC. Over the past few months it's been doing weird things, like only having a white screen and then me having to turn it on/off many times to get it back for a few hours. Last week it gave up and would not power on. It's a DVI-D cable with a weird 3-pin power supply, plugged into a 4 way socket extender on the wall on the right side of my room. A bit of research has shown that if I replace the "electircal capacitors" on the board it will work again... but the ones I've found on ebay to solder on have "long legs" which would make it hard.

So I went and got an AG-Neovo 17" from my dad's office. Plugged it in (normal kettle lead) and everything is fine. Used it for a week or so until a few hours ago when all of a sudden I'm about to fall asleep and .......... BAAAANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! the things just totally blown up. Sounded like thunder! It was plugged into a different 6 way socket extender on the far end of my room. It won't power on, smells burnt, although after taking it apart I can't see any signs of burning....

So I'm thinking...

Should I re-solder the capacitors on my Xerox if I've neve soldered anything before?
What could cause a monitor to go BAAAANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?
Am i just unlucky?
Can anyone find a good DVI monitor for less than £30? :p:

P.S the socket extenders are also surge protected

MUCHOS :)!

Fs m8, I had this vision of you with a seared face, the eyeballs hanging out of your head on stalks, burnt, frazzled skin hanging in tatters from your cheeks, blackened teeth, singed hair... I've forgotten what my point was.

Sorry about your luck, but I doubt you'll find a DVI monitor for that :\ I'd just get a new monitor, don't bother fixing the one you've got.

I'd try fixing the old one, only if you think trying to repair stuff is funny..
Chances are your fix won't work, or that something else will break on it when you fix it (thats what usually happens). If lucky, you could just get it working again.
Otherwise just buy a new one, they're dirt cheap these days.

Have you actually opened the monitor and checked the PSU in it before even considering changing the capacitors? If not open it, see if anything is obviously burnt out and then check all the capacitors to see if they have leaked, see if the tops are domed if they are then they need to be replaced. Itll let you see if its something you reckon you can do.

Should be quite easy to replace them if you have the right equipment handy otherwise it wont be worthwhile, dont have an oversized tip, a suitable gauge multicore solder and Id probably use some solder wick to remove the existing solder before trying to remove the caps, the new ones should be easy to fit then as itll leave the holes open, the longer legs get trimmed back once soldered in, they are usually about an inch long beforehand.
Get the caps from farnell/rs/maplins if you cant find them anywhere else.

Problem sounds like an issue with your mains supply, unclean supply? loose wiring?

Yeah I've had everything open on both
The Xerox I read similar problems, with it just getting worse and worse and the only cure someone found was to replace the capacitors which were cheap and useless.

The Neovo I have also opened and there is no noticeable burning or damage... just the massive bang

I think I will have a go at replacing the capacitors on the Xerox and if it doesn't fix it I'll have to bite the bullet and buy something off ebay. I've got two old VGA monitors here but my gfx card is DVI-D only so can't even buy a cheap VGA-DVI convertor unless I spend £30 getting one of those boxes, where I may as well buy a monitor for £60 or so.

The power connections were all fine, surge protected and from different sides of the room. Bit of a coincidence, but I guess there could have been a big surge that got through it all.

:(