MGS2 (massive spoilers)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Inferno

Greatness Personified
Jun 8, 2001
Canada
To reiterate, I am including some very large spoilers in this post, avert your eyes if you haven't finished it.

Okay, I recently bought MGS2 Substance for the Xbox and have really enjoyed it. The gameplay's about as good as I expected and I was pleasantly surprised with the story...that is, until Raiden was captured. That's when it became downright bizarre. Keep in mind that I ahven't quite finished it yet (I'll most likely do that tonight), I'm at the fight with Solidus. I was able to look past Liquid's arm taking control of Ocelot and even the fact that Vamp's seemingly immortal but I think whoever wrote the script (was it Kojima?) must've lost their mind after awhile because all that crap about the Patriots and the S3 plan and Rose being a spy was a bit much. There was some amusing stuff like when Snake points at his headband and says "Infinite ammo" (that was pure gold), but really, the story just got too convoluted and insane for it to be any good after the aforementioned capture.

So, did anyone actually LIKE the last few hours of the story?

no, im afraid it gets work from there lol

i wont spoil it for you :)

Tho its a gud game in its own ryt, tho MGS 1 owned!!

The ending wasn't terrible. However, it seems somewhat strange that Raiden just ignored all that stuff about Rose being a spy; personally, I'd be pissed. Fortunately, the dialogue between Otacon and Snake after the credits was pretty good (about the 12 wisemen being dead).

I had some fun with the Casting Theater thing. Chose the part where Vamp takes down the Seals and replaced him with a middle-aged female hostage and replaced the Seals with a bunch of Raidens. It was awesome :lol:

sounds like it was a bit different from the MGS2: sons of liberty (ps2, think the substance thingie also came out for ps2 but i havent played it), but the plot sounds like pretty much the same... and yuh i too got totally confused there, some of the stuff they were saying made even less sense than the stuff bout rose being a spy :o

Super Miner Games Guru at your service :P.

First thing to note is that Hideo Kojima is well known for attempting to make his games confusing and twisted beyong all human recognition. It is his style. Secondly, you need to be very familiar with the previous games for the Nintendo systems etc to fully understand everything that is being said. I haven't seen Substance, only played Sons of Liberty for the PS2 (finished it on European Extreme about a month ago ;)), I'd be surprised if It was massively different though. For this game, Hideo Kojima based the game around "Ghost in the Shell (or GITS)" by Motoko Kusanagi. If you've played Metal Gear Solid 1, you'll know that all the rubbish about Solid<->Liquid<->Solidus, and that the game asks 'how much of our person is made up of genes?' Well the second game asks 'how much of our person is made up of information?'

On a personal note, I couldn't stand the ending or the story either. The number of twists in the story, how you learn about the whole thing is obsene, and I can bet knowing a bit about Kojima is that if you're looking for answers in MGS3 he wont be answering them.

Here's a (semi)helpful link if you want to think more about the story behind MGS2, but dont go too deep into it; there doesn't always have to be meaning to something. You might be trying to find something that just isn't there.

http://junkerhq.net/MGS2/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: masterrr
Yes, I played MGS1 so I knew about the Solidus thing. The thing is, MGS had a great story, it wasn't terribly convoluted and it made sense. I think Kojima just lost his mind in the interveneing years :lol:

I also didn't like how he threw in some of the sideplots such as Otacon sleeping with his stepmother (that one didn't really go anywhere, it was just there for the hell of it). I especially didn't like the computer-like look when you're fighting all those metal gears; I half expected some plot twist to reveal that the whole thing was one big VR mission. That, at least, would have made the story almost make sense.

Oh, and one other thing, did anyone else notice how at the beginning of the Plant chapter it Cambell tells Raiden that he can't use the guards' or Seals' weapons because of some ID thing but he picks up and uses Snakes assault rifle (M4 I think) when they meet Vamp the first time?