Launch Mutator in Work!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Felerian

"All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?"
Nov 5, 2002
Launch Mutator in Work! [alpha]

I finally found somebody who is helping me on a Mutator to launch Team m8s.

Name: TeamBoost
Description: Teammates are affected by weapon momentum.

It entered Alpa test and i will be testing it tonight... if i get it to run... ;)
If the mutator plays like i was hoping then soon UT2k4 AS will be similar to UT Std AS with its launching. Till now you can change the "boost" power from 0.1 to 10 where 1 should be the regular launch, but this has to be tested.

What i want from you guys is that you tell me it will be used in fraghub league else it useless to waste other ppl´s and my time working on it.

edit:
If the mutator works proper then it would be nice if somebody could offer me a server some time in the future to test it online, thx.

Last edited:
if this works in the same way Locky did then there were some issues with how powerfull it is and hammer jumping was like rocketlaunching you flew half the map from one hj and lost very little health

i like the idea... but as rich says: it's should be 'realistic', not that u get first objective in 3 secs with only hammerjumping where normally u need 40 :P
and what about health per hammerjump?

I played arround with the mod a bit last 2 hours, trying different launching stuff.
And i wanna give you guys some information and at the same time ask for some help.

1. Weapons you can launch with:
  • Rocketlauncher
  • Shockrifle
  • Biorifle
  • Shieldgun
2. Major bugs/problems i found till now:
  • I think that 1 rocket launches same distance than 3 rockets (clustered) not sure though because bots dont hold still
  • You can not selfboost (launch yourself) with the Shieldgun... was possible in UT2k3, not in UT2k4 anymore :(
  • Biorifle launches too... not sure if we really want that, not sure if its possible to remove it again, but on the other hand... new features :p:
  • The boost power of the weapons is different... so i am hoping to be able to configure a boost level for every single weapon, right now you can only set it for all weapons at once, from 0.1 up to 10.
  • The damage taken by too high launches has to be checked aswell... i slaped the bots like hell but they did not wanna talk with me and tell me how much health they lost by the launch :P
3. Would any of the UT2k4 Clans want to put this on their server so we could test it with few players... and if possible get information about the selfdamage and find out what "boost-levels" seem realistic and right.

plz give me some feedback and ideas, wishes... maybe some admin should give me some feedback aswell... about if they want this or not... etc...

for now:
- over and out -

shieldgun launching is possible and shield jumping in 2k4 locky got it working i have it on my pc

yo Polle, would you be interested in working together ?

i would be interested in seeing both mutators put together... but i am a newb in makeing mutators :(

i can try, but i think ppl with expirience will be more successful.

Combining the mutators wouldnt be hard but i am not certain theres any real interest in a launch mutator. Would probably make more sense if the map authors just added launchweapons when they want players to launch.

Polle said:
Combining the mutators wouldnt be hard but i am not certain theres any real interest in a launch mutator. Would probably make more sense if the map authors just added launchweapons when they want players to launch.

wouldn't they need a launch mutator then?

but... i really think there's interest in a launch mutator (whatever the map is)... since i still think launches made ut99 assault become big :)

maybe a poll would make this up ;)

Last edited:
speaking for myself.. and hopefully for alot of other too...

i defenately want launching back! :P

iirc, epic put blocking volumes all over the std maps to make launching impossible (or at least unworthwhile) even with the aid of a launch mutator.

I think you need custom maps that actually allow the possibility (advantage) of launching before the usefullness of a launch mutator would be realised.

2 things are required to enable launching:

1) teammateboost must be set to 1 instead of 0.3 which is default. It is not a config var though so it has to be set by a server actor which is currently done by the mutator. It could just as easily be done by an actor added directly to the map.

2) Even with teammateboost at 1 neither the rl or the hammer is really useful for launching so the mutator replaces the existing rl/hammers with slightly modified ones. If you only want rocketlaunching you could add the new rocketlauncher version (launchmutator.las_rocketlauncher) directly to the map.

If you want hammerlaunching as well youll probably need the mutator but a mutator can be written so you can add it directly to a map and it will work for that map only.

Interesting Polle, we might have a map that could use the mutator nicely, put on hold whilst we have a few other more pressing things to do but all it really needs are a few last tweaks and a few textures.