laptops

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ace

Jun 8, 2001
Home
Any1 know what makes to avoid etc ?
I'm looking for a new laptop and dont know anything about em.

Looking for something with at least 600mhz and a cd-r drive (or able to stick an external cd-r drive on it)

depends what u wanna spend lol

dell do somr great laptops... good enough to play games on and decent games... have aook see what u want i recommend dell

In my experience Dell laptops aren't the best. I've has Panasonic, Toshiba and HP personally, and I can recommend them all, only ever had 1 problem with any of them, and that was the built in network card packed up on my HP, which didn't bother me, since I use wireless.

well.. ive never used dell laptops.. but they do decent pcs.. at a good price.. never had any problems... good support from what i hear too

Dude, you're getting a Dull! (no typo :D)

Right now i got a Dell I8k 1ghz coppermine. Its pretty nice. my dad also has a latitude from work. both are pretty nice.. my Inspiron's chassis is really weak.. and also, if you rest your palms too hard on it, the pointer starts flying off to the upper right (to get it back, you must learn the art of slapping the palm rests). Performance wise, i think its pretty nice.. the tualatins are supposed to be uber good. drains batteries like woah tho :\. overall, pretty good.. if you're looking for a more businessy type (dell wise) i would go with the latitude definately.. even over all, i'd probably recommend the latitudes (seeing as the Inspirons just aren't that great imo, and trust me when i say playing games on a laptop even that 'powerful' simply isn't fun)

Gonna be using it to run a program called electronics workbench most of the time and watch the odd movie off a cd-r.

Thx for the advice all

I had a panasonic and real problems with battery life on it. Dunno if it was a one off but I don't think I'd recomend them.

Had a Toshiba as well which was the bollocks (at a price)

Oh yeah I used to have an Amstrad 286 thing once too. It was the size of a suitcase and didn't run UT very well.

I'd steer clear of them.

I'v had two Dell Latitude and hardly any probs (except i can get allied assault to run smooth and i cant run ut2k3, but thats due to i bought the latest model with the ati rage 128 mobility gfx :\). Great support also!

Well I do work for a company that sells Dell refurb products, and well let me see... THEY ARE CRAP! Dont waste your money on a Dell. Toshiba arent as good as they used to be, latest Tecra YUCK. HP Pavillions are about the best Value for money atm(new). Well made and good support. Fujitsu are ok if you buy the Lifebooks (muchos money) Amillio series are pants. Compaq are ok too if you buy the better ones EVO etc. Steer clear of Own Brands such as PCWorlds and Dixons (Twinhead etc).

If your looking for a second hand machine Ace, then Tosh Tecra 8000and 8100 series are good. But best buy for your money would be a HP Omnibook 6000/6100. A good but rare laptop to look out for are Gateway Solos, they seem to be very good quality.

Ive owned many laptops and worked on dozens more, DELL STINK! And HP Offer about the best VFM.