Its a start.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

zombie

Dead Man Walking
Jun 9, 2001
Andover(UK)
Minimum wage rises by 20p to £5.05

Union leaders have welcomed the new increase in the national minimum wage and said businesses could afford the higher rates. The hourly wage for adults will go up from tomorrow by 20p to £5.05.

The level for 18-to-21-year-olds will rise by 15p to £4.25.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "The increase will see well over a million low-paid workers with more cash in their pockets, many of them women working part-time.

"But, as ever, with each minimum wage increase comes the predictable wave of protests from business saying that it cannot afford another rise.

"Every year miserly bosses say any wage boost will be at the expense of jobs, but every year their predictions of doom and gloom fail to materialise."

The TUC said that when the Low Pay Commission reviews the minimum wage later in the year, it should not listen too closely to the "bleatings" of business leaders.
Taken from
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30092005/344/minimum-wage-rises-20p-5-05.html

Um can only comment on the situation in my country.

What good do you expect from Higher Min Wages ???
- illegal foreigner imployment will INCREASE
- employers trendency to create legal jobs will DECREASE

- some sad fucks with no skills will get paid even more over what they should earn.

My views anyway.

Minimum wage has had an impact in our company - at least from a moaning Directors/shareholder perspective.

I do agree that we should have it - especially with such low unemployement - it should stop the dodgy businesses from exploiting people who are in a down and out shit situtation. I don't think it will stop any company from employing anyone - it will just eat into their profits a little bit more. And in turn, the consumer will end up paying for it - as always.

Depends on the market you are in, im assuming most people here are not in a position where they are responsible for the employment of others so dont really look at it from a employers point of view apart from assuming that they are in for their own benefit only.

For me, my family run a manufacturing company making high volume turned parts although everyone here is above minimum wage atm there have been times when they have been on the lowest wage, unskilled assembly labour usually. At the moment we make no profit, we can barely break even and most of that is down to the goverment making it more expensive to operate in this country, countries like turkey, india, china etc have taken the majority of our contracts due to the fact they can make the parts cheaper, on occasion they can make the parts and ship them to UK for less than it costs us to for material and labour albeit at a lower quality. Companies like BT have been given contacts and told to use UK sourced parts but just go abroad, mainly due to current consumer attitude that cheaper is better and the fact they can seem to get away with it.

If the goverment did something about the amount of cheap goods coming into the country from places which are using cheap labour then fair enough, its a stupid situation to be in where they raise minimum wage for benefit of some people yet this forces more cheap items to be brought in from countries where the people are exploited more. Obviously this is from a manufacturing point of view which is presently being screwed over anyways other markets like leisure would have different concerns and they wont really have the same level of competition from abroad.

Last edited: