Introducing: demand clans to sign in their members to prevent mercing?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Witlof

Jul 17, 2001
Arnhem (NL)
Hi all,

I'm sure others think the same as I do, but I still want to discuss this disadvantage of the utassault-league.

At this league it is impossible to sign in your members. That means nobody is able to know who are the members of a clan. Only by seeing them play on public servers, by remembering from earlier clan matches or by knowing them for the forums.

Take this as an example: we from Caedes are not so good.( :cool: ) That doesnt matter cause we play for fun, but what if we want to win a important match. I could ask Ace, Neo, Ninja, Monkey and Towando to play for Caedes. We would win the war with 8-0. Although everyone knows that it is impossible for Caedes to win a war with 8-0, who would know we used those top-players? I could let Ace play with the nick {cds}Witlof and Neo play with the nick {cds}Megistos. We'd win and really nobody could figure it out. And everyone can do it in the league, and I know it happens a lot.

In my opinion mercing is totally wrong and it ruins this league. It went the same way with the league of Clanbase, and they solved it very good to demand that u play with players that are signed in only.

Why dont solve it in utassault this way also. It isnt so much work, just let the admins add the nicks to the clan page.

I want a great discussion about this, starting here! :P

Greetz,

Witlof

What's the difference ?
u got some1 signed in at clanbase as Witlof, so i just use the nick Witlof and merc ?

yeah, but it's a lot more difficult for mercing players to do. For example, when you play with Witlof, I cannot play. Well, I can use another nickname from my clan, you would say. And you're damned right :P
Ace, Ace, why r u so clever? :)

What about working with passwords for every single player? No, Ace would say: 'then you give me your password and I merc for you" But most of u guys wont give your password to others, cause it could be confidential.

What about working with cookies or something? This forum knows every time i come here that I am the only {cds}Witlof :) Can't we use such sort of protection?

Or is mercing just impossible to stop, or even make it less than it happens now?

u let the players sign in and then?

anyone can use your nick just like before
or what do u mean?

do you mean that the merc uses your name and you can't play because ur nick is already taken?
that doesn't work in uta too because two Witlofs in one match can POSSIBLY ;) be seen by the other clan

mercing is that easy for clans because mercs simply take the nicks of the player who isn't able to play
that's all
nothing to do against it

that password or cookie (dunno if there is somethink like that within UT?) protection would work i think - but how to realize it??

((si><th)) has been against mercs and multi-clanners since we joined the UTAS.net League.
First time that we played vs a clan in Div 3 that used 2 Div 1 mercs that decided that match, I couldnt believe there were no rules against this.
Strong Div 1 players ruin the fun for the "weaker" lower Division clans.

But long time ago I have been told that Phear is working on somekind of mod against this problem. Allready a VERY long time ago, so it probably didnt work out. :(

btw, I think this discussion should be in the League Forum.

i (and i believe all other fellow-monkies) am against clans who use div1 or div2 mercs in the div3 clanmatches..... it really should be abanded (or something)

but when a clan cant get enough members for an important match, i think it should be able for that clan to get someone else to play as merc, who plays in a LOWER division!! but only in a lower division. this means that div1 clans never can use a merc and never can merc.... and i think everyone using a merc should tell the opponent about it and just let the merc play with his/her own name

is this any good? (i know you cant really check this....but i couldnt think of something else for the moment :D )

;) :confused: ;)

afaik there is no FSO in u-script so the 'cookie' solution would have to be done some other way

Mercs are alright, if the clan is more than 1 person down for a match (most clans will gt 1 player 2 leave to even out). But what i h8 is mult-clanners!!!
Its just like a football player playing for 2 differnt clubs, it aint right and shouldnt be allowed at all!!!
I only know one multi-clanner which is Gazzy (Ai and ION), but im sure there are many others.

LOl

thought Gazzy=)AI(= is not the same as Gazzy>ION<

same for Ace ion and ai

i u were multiclanner u shurely wouldnt use the same name

Like I said... What problem, that more matches will be forfeited? :( but i agree, using mercs when u have a full team is lame

witlof this topic has been discussed over and over again. even i talked with phear a while back.. long while.. and even proposed that password thingy. Tho he IS working on something against mercs as i remember but just got a bit busy doing other stuff... it will come :)

tho it won't be totally stopped but only partly and the way phear is handling it is the only and best way. the pass thingy would only work if there was really something confidential in it. so the pass would be used for something else as well on the website. maybe clan admittance etc? tho there willalways be sth around it.

just wait for phear to finish it :)

Who are you (or anyone else) to tell me what I can do or can't do on-line when playing UT?

Thats my simple argument. This *IS* for fun, so counter-measures shouldn't and imho cannot be implemented to reduce the amount of merc'ing.

Nobody can tell you what to do when playing online as simple as that. but if you want to play in a league, indeed tehre are RULES to follow if you want to play... and what is being discussed here is a "programmed rule against mercing" or something like this :)

Yes I did start work on a system which logged player names against IP's & a player password, and some of the code for it is still in LeagueAS. But it is a massive undertaking and many, many, many things have had to take priority. Once complete it will be at best only 75% or so affective, there will still be ways to merc / double clan and it is for that reason, and the size of the project that means everything else takes priority. Add to this the fact ive just got a new job and my free time has rapidily shrunk and you'll see that a system isn't going to emerge any time soon :(