Important: forums closing down.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Wintermute
Jesus H Christ on a Stick, you aint joking!

The largest hosting arrangement I can get at easily without going to a dedicated server is 500Mb.. and that's about 30E a month..

I.

Nope - sadly not joking. The forums database is currently 658.4 MB (in mySQL). The server spec is slightly underpower to deal with growth, it could also do with some fine tuning of mySQL and httpd - phpAccelerator helped a lot. Could also do with a memory upgrade.

I dunno if I said this already in this thead.. but.. the server is a dedicated Dell PowerEdge 2600, 256mb ram, 18GB SCSI disk, and gigabit nics. Chucked in with that is 100gb of bandwidth transfer per month. Like I said, it's a damn good deal - the best server deal I have ever had. Paying privately to a company without discount would probably be about 500 quid a month, as I haven't had to pay for the hardware either. £45 a month is great value for money - but I need to think about other things instead.

If someone does pay for this server and take it over, with a memory upgrade and a reconfigure of apache (httpd) it would be capable of hosting the forums and a handfull of other comerical domains to cover the costs. Just a thought.

http://forums.utassault.net/phpsysinfo

lets take the admin power abusing somewhere else? make another thread, lets keep this one on topic plse :)

Originally posted by SoldierBoy
btw aor players wont pay a shit 4 servers when u cant even have ur own privforums alone.. other admins have prolly been abusing their powah also fs :flack:
AoR are free to host their own forums elsewhere at any point they like. It will reduce the bandwidth useage and space required.

I thought Peebe was just taking the piss, and not being serious.
Now enough already.

Originally posted by Mughi
AoR are free to host their own forums elsewhere at any point they like. It will reduce the bandwidth useage and space required.

I thought Peebe was just taking the piss, and not being serious.
Now enough already.

i'm not larfing:rolleyes: we have done much work with tactics and r trying 2 get em work.. not fun if sum1 gets em fs

Well I donated some back then and I think I'd donate so if that helps to keep the forums running...

Oh, and what comes to Peebe visiting our private forums for a larf or not is rather immature of him... After all he's taken the piss on Humphro because he's regarded him immature... oh well, figure it out yourselves...

Originally posted by Phear
That said in <1 year it will all be gone as my RAQ server lease expires on 05/03/2004, and its unlikely I'll renew it.
Myself and Wint should be able to cope with most of what is needed for the league site on the same server we host fragulation.com on, I am even happy to register utassault.net when it goes, as you have already said you will let that lapse.

The only thing I think we need to figure out is if it would be possible to transfer the booking system to a linux environment....

afaik everything is running on linux?!?
i know the forums are.. but i think the league site (the raq) is too

i say tnx martz for what you have done "well done"

get rid of the hosted forums and just keep this one going

less work for future admin etc

and if every clan in the league paid £1 per month would this cover costs for just ut forum no clan hosting

most can get free forums and stuff like that

for the ull clan i pay out
£20 per year for 500 meg space ,with alsorts of stuff

£20 for 2 years for www.ullclan.com

cause i think my clan is worth it

just my opinion

then martz would not need to worry about a big server

then he could keep up the good work he has done in the past

Originally posted by doh
afaik everything is running on linux?!?
i know the forums are.. but i think the league site (the raq) is too
Most of it definately is ... its just the program that does the automated setup that I think is Windows based. If its able to run on linux too, its even easier :)

Originally posted by Mughi
Myself and Wint should be able to cope with most of what is needed for the league site on the same server we host fragulation.com on, I am even happy to register utassault.net when it goes, as you have already said you will let that lapse.

The only thing I think we need to figure out is if it would be possible to transfer the booking system to a linux environment....

The league system was transfered to a Linux platform in May 2002 (a month or so after I took over fromm Phil), the only part that is windows based is the server setup script, but that could be re-written if needed to run on Linux.

Sorry but I can't donate this time. Although I had lots to spend last year I ain't got a dime this year. :/

Jeees guys.... I had no idea how the forums were run (never thought about it, just took it for granted :( )and would never have guessed one guy paid for it all......I feel so guilty ! Thank you VERY much.

I hope something can come of this......someone must have contacts to sort something out.

Hmm i think we (GamersDivision.com) can help.

Martz , contact me plz and lets have a chat.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.