I'm a huge fucking GEEK!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dog

Make the pie higher!!!
Jun 8, 2001
2ft. infront of you
And I wount even try to deny it. But a few things got me thinking lately, I have been on the internet around 7 years now, longer than alot and a lot less than a few. I've been part of multiple debate forums, email lists, irc channels / networks, etc, etc, etc. I've met people thru the most secluded and small of the internets multitude of corners, some in real life as well.

There's a good few of these, that I've kept in contact with, regardles, some on a very remote and infrequent basis, some I consider RL friends, tho I always have had problems with that distinction to some extent. Now, in the stereotypic view of a lot of people, this would place as me as a sad git, who sits around the whole time, doing nothing but posting mindless noise thru cobberwiring globally... While I am also that, I still have a fairly large social, work and family life. So in my eyes, I have simply expanded my possible point of contact with human beings.

Having been around for a while on the internet, you can't but help notice trends. Hell you may even dare to foresee snippets of the future by observing them. One aspect I undoubtedly believe will become more and more widespread, are these online communities of interrests. Not different from many other social activities, and yet so, because of the primary means of communication: It is fairly certain, that you will communicate only with a mere fraction of these people, thru other means.

So my somewhat trivial statement is: More and more people will spend more and more time communicating with each other directly or thru a proxy. How do you think this will change society and the people that inhabit it?

Last edited:
When I started biking I joined a biking newsgroup and ended up meeting many of the fat, sweaty buggers in RL. I've been on holidays through France and Spain with some of them and occasionally meet up with them for a drink and regularly meet up at racetracks with them. I've done favours and received them. Apart from motorbikes, they represent an eclectic source of information on a wide and far ranging variety of topics from physics to medicine.

I think it gives us an extra dimension to finding those we have a commonality with. And also enables us to strike up relationships with people we would otherwise never talk to, ie, sparring partners (such as you and Thur :) )

Of course, the fact we can do this while downloading pr0n and going slowly blind from radiation are only 2 of the upsides.

Last edited:
for me it's a great and especially cheap method to get in contact with friends, instead of using the phone and also to make some new contacts, that's really cool :cool:

i think it's ok if people chose the virtual chat way sometimes, but as soon as you can tell that someone is a geek by just looking at them, it's too much. i know some people that virtually don't have a "real life without computer" and you can clearly see it >_<

I think most people on these forums are alrite. But like Ice said there are alot who don't have a life. Like people who accuse you of having an aimbot and try to not let you go on servers and delete your posts just because they know their accusations were wrong. Those people are normally the same who take this UT game too serious.

but most people are alright, ive met probably about 100 people from the forums and all were really nice people.

as for people using the internet more, nah i use MSN more than the forums and IRC, ICQ etc. And 99% of the people on my MSN list are RL friends.

I think the internet is an extension of the phone, but bridges huge gaps for people who are shy or whatever.

for me its just an extension of my siocial circle .. i like some people .. i dont like some people . its the way of things
its all part of real life using the internet and spending time playing a game, on irc, icq, msn and the forums is just another social activity that i can do without going anywher and i can turn off and ignore as i see fit ..

Yeah I would agree exactly with what Rich says.

Using the internet to communicate with friends is fine by me. Rich, RaMp, Neo etc are friends of mine, not on-line friends, simply friends. Granted I do not speak to them, or see them as often as I would do to friends that live down the street i.e. Frost and Mael, or friends that don't play PC games (i.e. Kev and Dale) but they exist as friends none the less. I see no real distinction between "RL" friends and "on-line" friends.

I mean, if that was the case then why the hell were, Rich, Glen, Neo, Skull, and RaMp all guests at my wedding and the reception afterwards??

Last edited:
Apocalypse said:
I mean, if that was the case then why the hell were, Rich, Glen, Neo, Skull, and RaMp all guests at my wedding and the reception afterwards??

free beer and bridesmaids?

I first starting using the internet almost 8 years ago, after a long term illness. I'd been housebound for almost 2 years when my Aunt kindly bought me my first computer and I was thereafter able to connect to aol. :lol: How expensive it was in those days?! You had to pay the isp hourly, as well as the phone company.

Anyway, for me it was an essential step on the road to recovery. I was 16, mildly disabled, and with the exception of the odd childhood friend who popped by on weekends, I was totally isolated from my peer group. I'd lost all my confidence and had no ability to get out and meet new people. Online, I was able to talk to other people my age, I was able to explain my situation without being made to feel like I was much different from anyone else sat at their comp, and it was that bit of social interaction I was missing out on irl.

When I began to feel physically better, I wanted to get out more and do things but I felt a bit hesitant, I was nervous about how to be with people after such a long time. The internet definitely helped me in that department, as I was able to talk over my fears and realise that I wasn't so different to most people my own age in perfect health. There are not so many "barriers" in place when chatting online, I have found. Noone seems to be quite as embarrassed about things as they might be irl.

Nowadays, I'm fully recovered and and have all social aspects covered. I'm at college, a mother, have great family and friends, and I STILL enjoy chatting online, playing games, and generally just lounging about in my scabby clothes on when noone can see me. My only reservation about forming any type of relationship online is that it's easier for people to conceal their true colours. Same goes for irl too I suppose, it's just easier to do online. Just have a bit of sense about you. :thumb:

So, to answer Dan's question... I think it will help to improve society, to make the world a smaller place. We are able to talk with people from other countries/backgrounds that we would never normally get the chance to associate with. We are learning all the time about our neighbours, different cultures, and finding out a lot of us are really the same underneath. Another bonus... CHEAP HOLIDAY ACCOMODATION!! :D

As more of us are coming online, the stigma attached to meeting people in this way is surely going to lessen. People are people, I don't see how you talk/interact/meet with them makes any difference.

well try explaining to ur new gf what ur doin and why does makes her confused sometimes...also explaining some terms like: thumbing, AVEEET and what use it has to slaughter people on the inet

but yes more and more people know eachother threw the internet and more and more will search for eachother.
im happy with it because sometimes in RL u dont have the chance to do so.
im fond of this community because it has a lot of people from diferent country's

The net has only been around for a while. I first used it when 14.4 modems were state of the art. Only geeks played games. Only tech heads and misfits did anything else. Pretty much. Now the games market is comparable to the film market and a lot of it is online.

When my daughter was small, as a single parent, I was more or less obliged to stay in most of the time. So UT came along at a pretty good time for me and I made a bunch of friends but only met one (Phears bro Shitening, for those that know him) but I never really made a distinction between those people and RL friends. Now I can go out a lot more. I prefer it, but the net is a good tool for sure. My daughter now uses MSN when she gets in from school. To her, it's just an ordinary part of lfe.

quote : My daughter now uses MSN when she gets in from school. To her, it's just an ordinary part of lfe.

lol is that normal, there used to be a great life out there before the days of the internet, the net has took over imo, yeah i like to play online games and chatting, but nothing beats going out with ur m8s and living in a real life..to me the net will soon turn everyone into recluses, where they will wake up turn on p.c, sit on all day/night then turn it off. lol you can order youre food through the net get it delivered to youre door, soon the net will be able to do the toilet for ya.. i have however met very good friends through msn etc...lol wtf is the topic of this thread btw :nono:

fooling about on the net is way more interesting than watching TV

Do you have a life or are you a geek if you watch the box every night FFS :shout: