Here's an idea for the forums...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the one who deleted your posts. Just because you donate to this forum (or rather it seems used to) doesn't mean you should be treat any different to the others (I know you haven't said anything about that but I'm just saying). Obviously your donations are a big help in keeping this community alive, but if there are off-topic posts they will be deleted whether you donate or not. Why should we (as moderators), spend our time writing a PM everytime a post is deleted? why not just stay on-topic in the first place and help us out. You say you couldn't be arsed looking for a more appropriate smiley, well maybe we can't be arsed explaining every deletion we make. Those post you are using as "evidence" did have topic-related parts to them and you know that. If moderator's ignore posts then they aren't doing their "job" are they?. My erection is minute to that of Basdo's :(. I'm sorry if you feel you are being victimised, but posts have been getting deleted for years and will no doubt continue to no matter who the moderation team is.

Maybe it could be possible to automatically send a PM to someone when a post is deleted (along with the deletion reason) but don't think that feature is available yet.

I appreciate the explanation, Prot, but what harm does a :bday: smiley do? Surely it's obvious it's meant as a celebratory smiley? Or did you really think I was wishing someone a happy birthday out of the blue. You know I'm not a spammer or a flamer. I just find it amazing that a :bday: smiley gets deleted when so many other, genuinely irrelevant posts remain. I don't expect an exlanation of every deleted post anyone ever gets (though it couldn't hurt) but why didn't you just leave the post alone? Who cares if it stays? It's sort of like football referees - make mistakes if you like as long as you're consistent about it.

I'm not someoen who whines about being victimised - as far as I know this is the first time I've ever complained about an admin or mod decision - but you must be able to see why I'm baffled as to why my post in particular was singled out. Sorry, but I don't see an relevance in the phrase "Mi5 owned" or whatever it was. I'm not trying to lump fuler into this, I'm saying neither he nor I should have been edited.

In a forum full of posts critical of admins, spammy rubbish, stupid remarks and possibly offensive comments, one :bday: smiley has no reason for deletion. I assmued brajan did it because he and I argued, but he didn't so I'll apologise for accusing him again. But ffs no forum moderator should be that zealous. Obviously I don't care about a stupid smiley, it's the principle that someone can get deleted for something so minuscule. And a deleted post is such a slap in the face, whether it's offensive or not.

Forgot to add: forum donations have nothign to do with it. I wouldn't expect special treatment just cos I donated once. I just want fairness tbh.

EDIT: Typing sucks, I know. Clip away, Lex ;)

Last edited:
There are "proper" smiles which could of been used which would of prevented your post being deleted (some text wouldn't go a miss either):

:party2: :party:

I deleted it because it seemed to me to be off-topic. There was no explanation about why that smilie was used. All it needed was some text underneath congratulating/welcoming them and that you "couldn't be arsed" to find a different smilie.

People were mentioning the "old days" when we had 5 divisions and that we (us admins) have it easier than when there were 5 divisions which is true in some cases. mi5 were playing in the league at that time and so that's how they got mentioned. Off-topic? I guess it's just down to personal opinion. They were talking about the league, in the league forum about a league subject.

How about I undelete your post so you can edit it with something appropriate?

How about I undelete your post so you can edit it with something appropriate?

Nah I've already managed (third time lucky) to make a post which didn't get deleted there. I guess I just need to be extremely careful about what smiley I choose for each occasion :whatever:

You're for it now, xb7 :shout:

I don't care how many spinning cubes you have beside your name or how big an erection they give you. Don't delete people's posts, it's unbelievably arrogant and disrespectful. Pretty much every other moderator has the sense to either ignore posts or to eventually close the thread when it gets out of hand. Apparently you're special. We're here to abide by the forum rules and guidelines, not your personal likes and dislikes. Don't delete my posts again you vindictive, petty little child.

As you quoted yourself, this forum is for feedback, not for insulting the admins. Besides, who are you to decide whether the admin team deletes your off topic posts or not? You should be happy that Protocol takes your words easy, because i'm not sure i would do the same if someone called me a petty little special child with spinning cubes giving erections.

Way too often people don't notice the difference between the Chit Chat forum, and the other forums. In Chit Chat you can post pretty much anything within limits, and spam, but the other forums are not meant for that, and you get your posts deleted in those locations for doing so.

Fine, delete posts if you must, but at least be consistent about it. I was pissed off when I typed that stuff and I'm not now, so I over-reacted. Apologies for that, it wasn't really meant. I just hate being censored.

I'm not someone who decides whether or not they delete my posts - in other words, I'm not a moderator. I'd have thought that was obvious. Who are you to question my right to speak up for myself? Answer: we're both forum users.

His (and your) opinion of what is and isn't Off Topic clearly differs from mine, but this being a forum for the whole community I have a right to be pissed off about it. And it's a forum issue so it belongs here. As forum moderators you and Prot and whoever else have the right to delete peopl's posts - just don't expect them to automatically bow to your will when it's over something as petty as this. I don't like being edited and you don't like to see me complain about being edited. That's what's so great about a forum like this, everyone has the right to a lot of freedom of speech. I wasn't spamming and I didn't think it was Off Topic - just not quite the best smiley for that post. Is it worth it getting deleted? How did that thread get onto the topic of past divisions, etc? Why wasn't that curtailed as soon as it started? Either delete all Off Topic posts or none at all, but don't be inconsistent about it because that sort of moedartion is worthless and just pisses people off.

And before anyone asks me if I could do it better, I've already said I couldn't. This is just a disagreement.

You're wrong about that, you have no rights at all to the so called "freedom of speech" on these forums. You'd know that if you'd read the terms of use:

The owners of utassault.net Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

My post in that thread was relevant!! :P

Also its hard to pass up the opportunity to imply a certain stain on the whole of UT-AS (maybe stain isnt even harsh enough) is a cheating wanker!

However i was half expecting it to be removed because of that, thankfully its still there :D

Still I feel that useless has some good points and im not sure doh's replies are particularly helpful or dare i say mature? :P I think a little compromise every now and then is needed in the application of the forum rule you so ably quoted.

Anyway thats just my opinion ;)

I agree with useless.
imo this feels like a police officer arresting a 3 year old child for saying thank you to a woman who gave him a lollypop.
If he wud have made a post bout cows and gras i'd say that's off topic.

You're wrong about that, you have no rights at all to the so called "freedom of speech" on these forums. You'd know that if you'd read the terms of use:

OK, that says it all for me. You're admins and I'm not. Do what you want :bowdown:

C'mon Useless. You're a member of this league for how long? 5 years? And now starting all this because of a Happy Birthday Smiley? I don't think that any admin here "does what he wants". Everything has a reason and sometimes you won't like them. Think we understood your point of view, but you must understand the moderators too.

If moderator's ignore posts then they aren't doing their "job" are they?. My erection is minute to that of Basdo's :(
I better hide some before people think I'm doing all this only for the so cool cubes :\

On the list of what is spam, smiley only posts probably get rated as number 1.
Anybody that posts only a smiley reply in a serious forum is very likely to get it removed no matter what the context of the image, at least thats the way I treat the forums I moderate although im pretty lazy about editing posts :D

C'mon Useless. You're a member of this league for how long? 5 years? And now starting all this because of a Happy Birthday Smiley? I don't think that any admin here "does what he wants". Everything has a reason and sometimes you won't like them. Think we understood your point of view, but you must understand the moderators too.

I better hide some before people think I'm doing all this only for the so cool cubes :\

Well I kinda did try to understand the moderators by asking them why it was deleted, why other posts weren't etc. I wasn't purely out to flame anyone (though I admit my opening post was a lot angrier than I alter felt). And Protocol and brajan were both decent about it, I didn't even get an infraction. I know it sounds like a very small, worthless thing about a bday smiley, but that cuts both ways. If it's so small why delete it, you know? It's only the second time I've ever had a post deleted but it really pissed me off both times because it's such a kick in the teeth to be edited by someone for a reason you can't understand at the time. Especially when everywhere you look on these forums, including in the very same thread, there's so much more pointless drivel. Isn't pointless drivel the beating heart of this community? Just ask Gazzy ffs :confused:

EDIT: Just read Mym's bit - if smileys are so up there as spam then I've leaned that now, but we non-admins only learn how the admins moderate the forums AFTER we've made a mistake, which was the whole point of my annoyed post. And that will pretty much always lead to arguments as it has done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.