help html? win moonies

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

html

<B>When i grow up i wanna be like Gandalf The Grey
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
just looking at large for a 2nd opinion on my future gaming computer that i'll probably order sunday or monday

my budget for the 4 key components of a gaming rig: roughly 1500$ aka 1200 euros aka 1000 quid
-CPU
-RAM
-MOBO
-Graphic card (if fans/heatsinks are needed they are not counted in the price limit)

im just not totally sure how much to spend on the graphic card vs the processor/mobo/ram i want a beastie graphic card but i fear that if i spend say 1000$ on the graphic card the processor/mobo/ram i can get with 500$ will endup slowing my system down and "waste" the graphic card

anyway i hope you get the idea

if you make a submission for these 4 components and I end up choosing it, you win 20 quids/euros via paypal! (the sooner the better as once i do order it's obviously too late)

extra notes: i'll be running air cooling only, windows 7, im not really interested in SLI nor in 3d, noise isnt really an issue, and i plan to keep this stuff for at least 4 years
not sure if computer pieces prices vary a lot from country to country but sites in NA would be preferred for submissions (i think ncix.com in canada has the best prices and it has a lot of stuff available)

also my "default" option is currently here http://thrall.ordis.org/NCIX.pdf possibly with different slightly more expensive ram as mym suggested

Last edited:
I hivhly suggezt getting a SSD as boot drive. And maybe even a second one for games and apps.
When I'm on my pc I'll check for a good setup

For GPU I was going to suggest this Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 one, but yours is nearly the same.

For CPU and mobo i'd suggest this bundle deal: (i5 3570 + gigabyte z77x)
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=71249
If you want to play games an i7 isn't a major upgrade, you'll get HyperThreading with an i7 but that's only usefull for video editing and photoshop etc. Better save the 100 euro, and with the bundle deal you'll be saving even more (Also see http://www.overclock.net/t/1264459/i5-3570k-or-i7-3820 )

If you still want an i7 I suggest getting this mobo (same from the bundle deal)
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=70263
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

RAM 4x4gb is a bit overkill for gaming imo. 8gb is more than enough:
So you can get this instead
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=61961&vpn=CML8GX3M2A1600C9&manufacture=Corsair
+Corsair I never had problems with Corsair, and the reviews are good.

This is all taken from the Best Buy Guide from tweakers.net (A very big Dutch computer website, they know what they are doing :'))

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2647/5/...de-editie-juli-2012-high-end-gamesysteem.html (use google translate)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed (i7 really doesnt add much for gaming afaik)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5
SSD: Samsung 830 series 128GB

Should stay under your pricerange by quite a bit as well i think :)

Your setup of components is quite good.

You should change 2 things to save money imho (if you really want to sell this much go and buy it.)

- MAINBOARD
There are many cheaper Mainboards which are really fast. Take closer look and you will find some GOOD ones for about 120$-160$

- GFX
Really good Card, but this is the same thing as with the Mainboard. There are cards for 200$ - max 300$ that will perform nearly equally. I'm not a great nvidia fan anyway and would always go for an ATI-gfx, but this is your choice mate.

Just remember that the most expensive things are not always the best compared to the performance.

greetz

What do you use the pc for ?

Ie vid editing / gaming / browsing pron / et cetera et cetera

probably in that order: gaming > pron browsing > normal browsing no real apps that would be processor dependent besides games or if i use any it wouldnt be that often so ya i want a graphic card that pwns... but a faster processor that makes virtually everything go faster (except maybe the initial boot?) is always nice too :) (especially considering ill keep this rig for a while)

also another note: ya ill be using 1 or 2 128 gb ssds for my os. progs and games and my current caviar black 2 tb for everything else (MUST SAVE TEH PRON) keeping the same mouse (had an mx518 for 5 years keeps working fine #1 :o) keyboard monitor dvd burner, case and PSU unless the wattage of my current one isnt enough ill have to check that today.

maybe i7 doesnt add that much for gaming today compared to i5 but what about in 2-3 years? i dont wanna have to change my processor in 3 years and have to reinstall everything... I wanna make sure i have a "peace of mind" for a bare minimum of 4 years and I got that more or less with my last setup.

thx for the suggestion sneez ill deffo look it up in detail today, as i said if i end up choosing what you posted you'll get the moonies! if not.... just a good thank you anyway :P

oh and i just thought of a new rule to make it nice 20 euros/quids reward for 4 components... if i choose only 3 you posted... youll still get 15 not 0! 5 for 1 etcetc... only the first to post a specific component wins though obviously

also sneez : after taking a look at your submission what looks more lekker to me is the GPU but you said its nearly the same that i have, do you have any info on a comparison between the 2? cuz id likely get the better one . for the ram ill prolly get some corsair but i think ill stick with the 16 gb overkill, it may seem much now but who knows maybe after microsoft fails badly with windows 8 maybe windows 9 in 3-5 years will actually be good and worth changing to, and maybe then 16 gb ram wont be overkill and also ram atm isnt nearly as expensive as it was 5 years ago so this will be a relatively cheap overkill!

Last edited:
I didnt say buy more expensive RAM, I just said I would buy different RAM and Id have expected it to be cheaper although I didnt check.

At least you listened to me and finally made a new thread, I said that would be better! :D

You listened to Mym? :nono: :shake:

Only thing I would add as a non-techie (hi mym) is to avoid Nvidia, like yak said, and go with ATI.

I didnt say buy more expensive RAM, I just said I would buy different RAM and Id have expected it to be cheaper although I didnt check.

At least you listened to me and finally made a new thread, I said that would be better! :D

cheap excuse to get moonies

my choice for the mobo and processor are staying on the default one (i think ill be glad to have i7 and not i5 in 4 years)
still undecided on the ram but most likely not the default one

for the graphic card which is the most important part i ended up reading quite a bit yesterday on it and:
i wont go for ati, atm most sites seem to agree geforce is the way to go atm

now i found this nice article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-16.html
based on that id go for the zotac (fastest)

but then on wikipedia i saw the comparison between the gtx 670 and the gtx 680....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series

and the 680 looks tastier :drool:

though i didnt find any article comparing 7 680s together i went on the zotac website since they had the fastest 670...
and i found out they have amp editions and regular editions of both the 670 and 680... but ncix doesnt sell the 680 amp...

tl;dr zotac 670 amp edition or zotac 680 regular edition
LKZ08.png

also the 680 had that the the 670 amp doesnt have ...Shader Clock 2012 MHz

first one to suggest me either one with convincing reasons.... may just get 5 quid/euroz if i don't change my mind again :o

well I made my order! and no one winz moonies :S sry guise :( but i'm still happy of the feedback I got and i genuinely thank you guys even if i didnt listen to most of you! :rolleyes:

RqH3l.jpg

you'll notice the pricematch thingy, thats quite nice if any website sells the same thing cheaper ncix will match it!

to sneez: i didnt choose either of your cpus cuz after looking it up i wanted one with the new 2011 socket not the 1155 socket (2011 is a wee bit better) mobo had to fit obvisouly. i got lotsa ram for an overkill now but i may love it in 5 years its corsair like what u suggested but quad channel not dual channel, whatever it does its more expensive and sounds sexier so i got it! as for the graphic card i went with the zotac 670 amp due to the detailed and pretty nice tomshardware article the asus you linked was idd better than my default option and its quieter than the zotac i ordered but i want speeeeeeeeeeeeed noise is not an issue :)

final order with taxes and shipping+insurance etc etc. 1642.58$ that's within 10% of my 1500$ target and i feel quite confident this beastly setup albeit a tad overkill will serve me well for plenty of years to come, I just hope I can run UT fine on windows 7 :x

Last edited:
Great pc for that price. You win points for not being a Mac person but lose more for the nvidia thing. Moron.

Wish I had the money for a new pc but sadly I don't. Enjoy your new 'video card' :evil cackle:

:love: anthony

most sites agree the geforces currently on the market are better than the ati equivalents, and besides i didnt get the nvidia geforce 670 i got the zotac one, check out the tomshardware link they compared 7 competitors using the geforce 670 chip, including one by nvidia (my default setup one) one by asus (suggested by sneez) and one by zotac (the fastest one/the one i chose)

so up yers I DIDNT choose the nvidia :P

Last edited:
I was talking more about the reliability. Hopefully you will neevr have the nightmare experience I had with Nvidia - it reached a point where my PC was all but unusable, gaming was impossible, even browsers crashed, and NVidia never released any fixes for this hugely widespread problem. Just google nv4disp.dll and perhaps you will begin to feel my pain. Anyway, I don't trust the company after this and I would rather buy a spec-inferior ATI card that will work and be supported and fixed if broken, than some dodgy piece of shit that might wreck my PC /rant

Meh, Useless' problems only shows how random it all is. I've hav Nvidia cards for years without a single problem but the one time I've used an ATi card it melted and destroyed my whole computer so it goes both ways. Just go with whatever is best/best value for the moneyz you've got! :p

<3