Greenland Ice Melt

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ðeadßoy

Son!c Reducer
Apr 9, 2002
Dead End Street
It is a long article, and ... Read the whole thing its a good horror story...

greenlandmelt2fj.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-greenland25jun25,0,1308610.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Some of the most "disturbing" sentences

External Source said:
Greenland's Ice Sheet Is Slip-Sliding Away: The massive glaciers are deteriorating twice as fast as they were five years ago. If the ice thaws entirely, sea level would rise 21 feet.

Climate experts have started to worry that the ice cap is disappearing in ways that computer models had not predicted...

...By all accounts, the glaciers of Greenland are melting twice as fast as they were five years ago, even as the ice sheets of Antarctica — the world's largest reservoir of fresh water — also are shrinking, researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the University of Kansas reported in February...

...Should all of the ice sheet ever thaw, the meltwater could raise sea level 21 feet and swamp the world's coastal cities, home to a billion people. It would cause higher tides, generate more powerful storm surges and, by altering ocean currents, drastically disrupt the global climate...

...By 2005, Greenland was beginning to lose more ice volume than anyone expected — an annual loss of up to 52 cubic miles a year — according to more recent satellite gravity measurements released by JPL...

...The amount of freshwater ice dumped into the Atlantic Ocean has almost tripled in a decade...

...There was even a period of melting in December..."We have never seen that," ...

...Most of the computer models on which climate predictions are based did not take the dynamics of the glaciers into account...

...In all, 12 major outlet glaciers drain the ice sheet the way rivers drain a watershed, setting the pace of its release to the ocean. If they all slide too quickly, there is a possibility that, perhaps decades from now, they could collapse suddenly and release the entire ice sheet into the ocean...

Too late or not ?

I often find people who dont live at the coast dont care. But the change in weather and climate cant be foreseen now I suppose, and will certainly affect the live anywhere.

Whats left to do probably is develope effective safety structures, because I doubt that the melting of the ices can be stopped.

...The amount of freshwater ice dumped into the Atlantic Ocean has almost tripled in a decade...
This is known as thermohaline circulation in the Gulfstream, among other places, and its essentially warm water moving from Africa and Americans up towards the Artic. At the moment it carries warm water from the south to the north, where it gets saltier and more dense along the way due to evaporation. This salty ice water sinks below the warm water and creates a flow in the opposite direction, causing the cool brine water to travel south and repeat the process all over again.

Freshwater will freeze at a higher temperature than brine/salt water futher increases the saltinity of the sea.

The north atlantic drift warms areas such as the Scandinavia and Europe - and without this process we'd pretty much be stuck in a permanent winter.

The evidence suggests that this isn't as likely to happen as previously thought - (> 100 years) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't care about it until then.

Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

aye thats worst case scenario

• A seven-metre rise in sea levels if the Greenland or West Antarctic Ice Sheet melted.

• A 13-metre rise if both the Greenland and West Antarctic Ice Sheet melted.

• An 84-metre rise if the East Antarctic Ice Sheet also melted.

The worst scenario is the 84-metre rise. The team pointed out that this would only happen if the world did nothing about carbon gas emissions, leading to a runaway greenhouse effect. If we ever reached this state, little beyond the hills and mountains making up Wales, Scotland, the south-west and spine of England, will remain above the waves.

I was reading up on this in another article a few weeks ago. I think the facts showing global warming exists are undeniable, yet my government still blatantly denies it. The situation is pretty much bullshit all over, and the most major problem is the US Government. Many people here dismiss the idea that sea level could rise as "not a problem, if sea level rises 21 feet my house will be that much closer to the shore and worth more." Sadly, if both the east and west antarctic ice sheets melt, and greenland's ice flows (as they're all continuing to now) sea level would rise much more than estimated figures suggest.

I don't know if any of you Europeans are aware of this, but Al Gore, the former soon-to-be president of the United States has a film out called An Inconvenient Truth dealing with the issue of global warming. I saw it and I honestly think it was the best movie I've ever seen. If you haven't seen it, I'd strongly encourage downloading it.

Yea im waiting for an inconveniant truth, to release in europe (only in september i believe). I wish to see that movie. I've been following some discussions about the film on imdb. And it really surprised me, how many people actually think that Global warning is just a thing that is made up by democrats, or is just "a time-based scenario" like the ice age. I mean, what on earth do you think? That the biggest hurricane season was just a incident? that the melting of ice in Greenland and Antartica is just an incident? That soon there won't be any snow on the Kilimanjaro is just an incident?

I hate to say it, but I believe that the european politicians are just afraid to make a proper statement to the United States. If it was for me then, i would boycot America as long as they're not doing anything against global warning, or as long as America doesn't sign the Kyoto Treaty requirements.

- Many People in the US don't believe the movie, because it is told by Al Gore :nono:
- Bush rather spends his money on warfair in Iraq and Afghanistan, than trying to save millions of people in the future. :puke:
- Most American people rather ride SUV's (with higher volumes of pollutants) than normal cars, because life is all about your image. :puke:

no offence, but The United States: :puke:

Last edited:
I agree with you. First off, I'll reassure you that the movie is a must-see. As I said, I think it was the best film I've ever seen. It seems like the only people who do not believe in global warming are Americans, and scientific fact states that it exists. Even Bush admitted it exists, he just said we need "proof humans contribute to it." As if we don't contribute:mad: The man is psychotic. A man who doesn't believe in Global Warming because it's not in the bible, and he has access to how many thousands of nuclear weapons? I don't see how anyone can deny that Global Warming does in fact exist. The arctic has been frozen for as long as we can remember. When we see it melting at a rate far greater than normal we should say "that might be a bad thing."

Europe has already been incredibly responsible when it comes to environmental issues. With countries like Finland leading the way with corporate environmental responsibility (something the US ranks worse than China in) and countries calling for stronger environmental laws when the EU ratifies a new environmental policy, I see Europe as being on the right track. America is the issue. Europe has sent many messages to America, having set higher and higher standards for themselves, literally one-upping America. You can also see from this thread, and from comments you've made that European citizens are acting accordingly.

US citizens are starting to wake up too. I have not met an intelligent person who has disagreed with global warming (sadly, the largest IQ test in the world proved over 50% of the United States is borderline retarded, that IQ test was called "the 2004 presidential elections"). Al Gore's movie has turned even sceptics into believers, and I think what he's done is a huge favor to the world. I had a lot of friends who saw this movie, all of them were either sceptical or very apathetic about the idea of global warming, and afterwards they're all doing their part to help. The political party I founded a few years ago has taken measures to team up with a variety of non-profit organizations to help spread the message, and people are starting to wake up slowly.

Another factor which might lead people to believe in global warming and seek to do something about it is the fact that in the US already as of two weeks ago 17 states has posted record high temperatures, and we're again on track for the hottest summer in the history of the world. People aren't going to put up with it much longer, and with all the talk about global warming it could begin to be a buzz for the 2006 congressional elections. I've already written both my congressmen and told them they need to address the issue of global warming as a serious threat to world population and endorse sterner environmental laws or they won't be getting my vote.

-Al Gore is very well-respected against people on the Left of the political spectrum, and even by the Right as a political scientist and politician. Movie reviewers have also said some amazing things. Take Roger Ebert, the world's most renouned film reviewer, for example: Ebert wrote: "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to."

-The problem isn't even the war in Iraq (which is fucked up, if you ask me - funds could much better be used for other things) - it's corporations. Bush if far too corporate-friendly, and the corporations control the channels which are blocking global warming from being dealt with. They control the media, the automotive industry, oil, factories, logging and everything else under the sun. They are willing to sacrifice our welfare for their profits. A good source for more information on this would be the stunning Canadian documentary film The Corporation. You can see the full version in low-resolution here

-A lot of Americans are getting Hybrid cars, much better than SUV's.

And yes, the US sucks. Try living here.