Good Games

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

McNeill

McMastah
Jun 8, 2001
Aberdeen
I am seriously bored!

I want to buy some new game, I am into all games so genre isn't such a big deal.

Game doesn't have to be new, could be some old games, just list a few games - which may not have been specifically raved about on review sites.

Also should be for the PC.

I was looking at GRID pc game.

Also was looking at COD4 - I know many of you played it, however is it still going good from a multiplayer perspective?

Also saw this wierd game spellforce 2 - I liked the co-op mode aspect of this, anyone know much about this game?

Also heard mass effect is really cool, any comments?

Or just give me a PSP so I can play sequal to final fantasy 7 :(

Last edited:
Mass effect is worth a look. Rly nice story and game. only bad things are that it's abit short (about 25 hours) and the side quests are somtimes boring and they feel like deja-vu at some point.

The first word that comes into my mind when i think about Final Fantasy 7 is "brilliance".
It's huge (you can spend easily 100+ hours on it), has an epic and class story and good characters.
There's a PC Version that run in WinXP, you can find a FF7 ROM and emulate it with any Playstation emulator.

If you didnt play DeusEx 1, try it. Way better then the poor 2nd part. Class story, many ways how you can config your character.

Also the thief series (esp. part 1 and 2) is entertaining and something different.

Also you could give Diablo2 a shot. The fascination of this game comes from the item collection and brilliant cutscenes.

If you are into medieval and strategy, AoE2 is brilliant for you.

Yeah will probably give Mass Effect a go.

Regarding FF7 - I have the PC version of FF7 and FF8 - really rare these days, I have two copies of FF7 (one is laminated and still with its packaging).

FF7 is the best game I ever played - Spending hours getting Master materia for all my characters! lol.

If you like the FF7 version for PC let me know :).

COD4 you will love the single player game however it is short however the online aspect will keep you entertained with ranking you char and it is still going very strong multiplayer. I dont tend to get bored of it online and is pretty addictive imo.

Mass Effect is NOT a short game. If you do all the side quests/achievements/visit all solarsystems+planets it will take you much longer than 35-40 hours. Honestly, first time I played through it on the xbox I did all the quests/planets/dialogue etc and it took me over 140 hours =p

Yeah will probably give Mass Effect a go.

Regarding FF7 - I have the PC version of FF7 and FF8 - really rare these days, I have two copies of FF7 (one is laminated and still with its packaging).

FF7 is the best game I ever played - Spending hours getting Master materia for all my characters! lol.

If you like the FF7 version for PC let me know :).
Nah got the pc version myself. Bought it asap it got published.
Back in 1997 i played the PSX-Version at a buddy home for so long, that he started to hate me lol.

How do you like FF8 compared to FF7? Back in - i guess - 2000 i tried the demo, but it not rly impressed me.
So i refused to play that game.

Mass Effect is NOT a short game. If you do all the side quests/achievements/visit all solarsystems+planets it will take you much longer than 35-40 hours. Honestly, first time I played through it on the xbox I did all the quests/planets/dialogue etc and it took me over 140 hours =p
140? what did you do? counted all trees in ME? :P
i did all sidequests that you get when you talk to ppl on citadel and you get during communications. And finished the game in 25 hours.

That was enough to level fas enough, because...
....almost all planets looking the same. Sure colors and heaven looks different, but at the end you drive with the Mako and find the same stuff.
Minerals, one crashed satelitte, one oldish building or old corpse and some bulding with a possible mission.
So imo no real need to explore them.

And even the building of missions looking the same.
Overall i guess they just did 4 kinds of interior buildings fro missions.

One passage, one big room without enemies, another passage, a bigger room with enemies, then another passage and rooms on the left and on the right. :yawn:

FF8 is also up there for me, but it hasn't got the depth that FF7 has.

FF8 is more a 'holywood' love story, that's okay if your into that kind of thing. I know many who don't and therefore dont really enjoy it.

The mechanics are similar to FF7 also.

If you liked FF7 I guess you don't mind bad graphics.
You could play FF4-6 on SNES emulator (FF6 was released as FF3 in US tho if you're looking for the ROM). Should give you a few months of fun. If you can handle the 2D'ishness.
And you can try FF1-3 on NES if you're REALLY into it. Needs a load of imagination though, with those graphics... :P

Also both Chrono Trigger (SNES) + Chrono Cross (PSX) are a must-play.

If you still have time left after all that, you could play FF9, although imo it was a bit 'easy' (still takes 12+ hours to finish it anyway).

FF10 is worth playing as well, dunno if you can emulate it, played it on PS2 myself.
Chrono Cross and FF9 are both playable very well with Emulator (I used ePSXe) on PC.

I've played all the final fantasy games, even the old ones, the only one I havent played is the PSP version of sequal - I was tempted to buy the PSP just for that game.

Never played Chrono Cross, will check that out over net now.

FF8 is also up there for me, but it hasn't got the depth that FF7 has.
Actually imo FF8 has more depth, but it's hard to see.

The fact that Ultimecia "can" be Rinoa is still discussed on the net... for instance: Griever is supposedly in Squall's ring whom he gave to Rinoa, then why does Ultimecia have Griever at the final battle? :x Just google FF8 theories, there're more results than for FF7 theories. :P

I've played all the final fantasy games, even the old ones, the only one I havent played is the PSP version of sequal - I was tempted to buy the PSP just for that game.

Never played Chrono Cross, will check that out over net now.

You can try the Star Ocean series too then.
Star Ocean 1 is only japanese, but there's a translated SNES ROM out there. It's a bit weird, but very interesting story.
Star Ocean 2 is amazing tho, can't say much about it else I'd spoil. It's also on PSX so easily emulated. There's also an anime about it called Star Ocean EX :) Don't watch it before playing though cause it's a compilation of the game which adds a few missing facts.
And Star Ocean 3, I'm still in the process of playing it, but just haven't gotten much time, but it seemed good too. It's on PS2.

I have very fond memories of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES. I think it was never officially released in the western world, but there are some excellent fan-translated versions, although they might be a bit rare on the intertubes. It has a very good combat system, which is a mix of real-time and turn-based RPG combat, and the whole game was quite fun to follow iirc :)

Last edited:
Indeed "Tales of .. " series is veerryyyy interesting as well. :thumb:

Read in link there's a new one coming to the DS, cool.
Tales of Hearts (Nintendo DS)
/me can't wait

Btw, there's a Japanese voice-over version for (at least) the "Tales of Eternia" psx game. Normally the English one has english voices, but they're garbage. I think they call it "UNDUB" version.

I can hook you up with some Adventure classics:
Monkey Island series
Day of the Tentacle
Sam n Max

Jade Empire (Special Edition) and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic are worth a run if youre into RPG like Star Wars KotoR (JE) or medieval FPS (DMMM)

This game is well worth checking out if you can bear outdated graphics. Takes a bit to get into, but it is a good, good game.