Gameboy Advance SP

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

bear in mind as well if your wanting to import, that all the UK SPs come with a voucher for £30 off a gamecube (postal redemption) so you could pick up a nice cube for £70 with mario or whatever from dixons

MY toy? :lol:

hrmph....

/me awaits the arrival of the Gameboy Sp....

Yes, he's olny gone and bought one! :P

doh yeah ;)

and I must say, its FC too. The new features such as the backlight and redesigned housing make a huge difference over the old GBA, and the gfx are amazing for something so small.

It's worth buying for Mario Kart alone, but I got Doom and Colin McRae too and they are both pretty fun ;)

PS: Thread moved to consoles where it really does belong ;)

i bought an original GBA yesterday, was only £34.99 only got it for the link up to the cube for extra stuff in zelda ww.

might get an afterburner light for it

got zelda lttp today as well :D

freak :P

game consoles are dead now :|

games just aint fun or playable for me anymore not since my n64 nothing since been fun :/

Ive never been a huge console fan, playstation 1 was FC but since then PCs have held my attention much more.

I've always had respect for portables because of, well, their portability! It's something that neither consoles nor PCs can offer you, however I have never justified buying one because I have always considered them too expensive for what they are / do... Until now! The new features on the GBA SP just make it well worth it imho - the backlit screen, built in lithium battery (that goes for 10 hours even with the lit screen) and the new shell design which makes it much smaller and portable.

The old GBAs are a very good bargain now, but without the backlit screen they pale in comparison imho :D

Nah, the backlight on the SPs is no where near as good as an afterburner, it's still the best combo u can buy from what ppl are saying on the edge forums/dvd forums etc. The SP is purely about image, nothing more, it doesnt even have a headphone socket and is deffo not worth the extra £50+ imo

It does have a headphone socket, you just need a small and cheap adapter cos it's not standard size.

The folding design makes it much more portable, it's much smaller and you have no worries of the screen getting scratched. Also the battery is much better in the SP.

I don't see the advantage of the afterburner myself anyway, you have to pay £24 for the kit, or about £40 if you want it installed too - otherwise you have to take the GBA apart yourself, voiding your warrenty and risking damaging it (if you aint too hot with electronics). That brings it up to the cost of the SP already...

I agree the £50 more is a lot to pay for something that basically does the same thing, but imho the console itself is far superior to the original GBA which a couple of my friends have. Like them, if I had paid £80 for a GBA a while ago I would be pissed off I hadn't just waited for the SP.

btw where did you get a GBA for £34.99? I haven't seen them anywhere that cheap yet (although I aint really been looking!)

Hmmz your Game have some sort of special offer on? I was in cambs over the weekend and didnt see them for under £50 anywhere (including our Game!) :\

£35 is a very good price for the GBA and as a rule I would say its not worth spending the extra £55 to get a SP, although imo it would be worth the extra £30 which it is in most shops.

However if you can afford to spare the extra cash the SP some have some excellent features than the original, and when putting mine next to my mates GBA I have no regrets with my buy :D

Metroid Prime Gamecube is out now - £129.99 and it has the sticker for the top of the cube. Be sure to keep it boxed as it'll be worth alot in a while i reckon :)

i saw a loada box's of the gba-sp in my games store i didnt know nothing about them coming out either until i saw them. whats the improvement? it just seems like a foldy gameboy to me

Read my previous posts :p: There isn't really a great deal of difference, so if you're on a budget you'd be better of with the old GBA, however personally I think the SP is worth the extra cash if you have it.

The fact that it folds makes it a lot smaller and more portable, especially as the screen is fully protected when closed. The screen has a built in light which make playing a huge amount easier without various attachements if the light conditions aint perfect, and it has a built in lithium battery which lasts for 10 hours even with the light on.

Same console, just vastly better designed :)