Forum upgrade to vB3 gamma

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
vB have released their gamma version of vBulletin 3. We're currently on vB3 Beta 7.

The main changes are:
  1. Completely changed layout of the forum and navigation
  2. Finalisation of the styles and templates. These will not change majorly in the future so changes now should be with the forum permantly.
  3. Multi-language support now completed, so translations of the descriptive text in menus, etc, can be set to your prefered language.
  4. Customise what is shown/hidden with plenty of collapsable elements which are remembered.
  5. Quick style chooser in a drop down menu
  6. Attachments can be properly managed in your user cp
  7. Clean up of private messages, subscriptions
  8. Bug fixes
The main problems with this upgrade:
  1. All styles will have to be reset throughout the forums.
  2. Hosted clan forums will lose their customisations, apart from the basic colours
  3. It will take days/weeks to get each of these back to normal or improved.
  4. The layout is radically different in places, compared to this version, and the 2.x version used in past years. It will take a little bit of getting used too, and remembering where things have moved too etc.
  5. There may be forum downtime for up too 3 hours.
This upgrade will take place either today or duing the day on Monday or Tuesday. If this isn't viable it will probably be delayed until the New Year.

For the critics - hey, I'm sorry :) We have to move off the beta program and start using the final vB3 product as it nears completion and development stops. The new styles and layouts you might not like initially, or at all. I'm sure you'll get used too it.

I can already see the "noooooooooo its shite" replies in the next days.
Ive seen it on another board, and I must say its a BIG change - but if you use for a few days, its not any worse at all, if not better.

Martz said:
The main problems with this upgrade:
  1. All styles will have to be reset throughout the forums.
  2. Hosted clan forums will lose their customisations, apart from the basic colours
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :bawling: *sniff* ...

well we use gamma version of vBulletin for a week or so now. And must say the navigation is sweet. Although some have their dislikes, its imo an improvement.
And yeah the only bugger of it, is that you have to reset all your usergroups and styles.

Upgrade complete.

I'm reopening the forums so people can start posting again.

There are a lot of problems with styles, I'd appreciate links or screenshots to problems that you can see, the URLS of dead links etc.

The main style will be fixed this afternoon, with the other styles following.

I dont know whats the cause of this is:
(i just clicked around on the page, right-mouse click properties of the pics, etc.. just stupid clicking & marking around on the page...)
maybe its just my Internet Explorer :P

huh.jpg

and, uploading attachments dont work?

uploaderror.jpg

Things i noticed:

• Buttons are blurry but i bet you noticed that :D
  • sometimes when a thread is loaded and it is still loading and you scroll down, you see the same lines 100 times, it kinda gets stuck. when loading is complete its back to normal again (didnt happen quite some time now)
  • profiles shown above posts, are you considering putting them back to the left or keeping it like this?
  • parts of the page not loading sometimes, you can see them if you mark it with the mouse but it doesnt even mark properly, only up to a few characters at one time (see attached screenshot ... or not) :P also didnt happen again ever since i wrote this :D
  • attaching images doesnt work for me, file size and format is ok, but it says "upload failed.)" you say its fixed then its fixed ;)

i will edit more things if i find some :)

good job on the update, i have already seen lots of cool features like quicklinks etc :D

Last edited:
I'll get around to these problems later on.

For the moment, the main style is nearly tweaked so that everything matches and looks ok.

Todo:
  • Tweak navigation font size Fixed.
  • Fix broken attachments system Fixed.
  • Revert some clan templates with errors and b0rked links.
  • Add custom profile fields to postbit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.